PDA

View Full Version : Camino de Santiago

97CSI
02-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Anyone done the Camino de Santiago either on foot or on a bike? If so, what did you think? We are looking for a European trip and are wondering if doing the trek on a cross-bike is reasonable. Thanks.

Polyglot
02-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Anyone done the Camino de Santiago either on foot or on a bike? If so, what did you think? We are looking for a European trip and are wondering if doing the trek on a cross-bike is reasonable. Thanks.

My parents did it on foot going backwards (leaving Santiago) and quite enjoyed it. I also have a number of friends who have done it by bike and all had a good time.

rain dogs
02-22-2012, 08:43 PM
I did a bike portion of it backwards by bike. Through the north of Spain and into France.

It's very, very beautiful.

You can certainly do it on a cross bike. Actually, many parts of the route are beside the road. And in fact, there is a "Camino" road route for cyclists. If you want to ride on the footpath you can as well and a cross bike should suffice.

Keep in mind, there is no single Camino. There are hundreds. I guess if you want THE route.... from Saint Jean-Pied a Port to Santiago de Compostella then that is the one I rode, but they are all routes.... they're all likely the same... so I would take the road, using your bike.

Any questions just ask away.

97CSI
02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
What are the driest and warmest parts of the year. Prefer not to ride in wet/mud/cold. Am thinking a cross-bike with 28 tires and a set of panniers.

Where did you stay during the trip? Did you make reservations or can one simply drop in to a posada, etc?

Thanks for you help.

msl819
02-22-2012, 10:07 PM
you probably know this but The Way with Martin Sheen is now out at the Red Box. Watched it last night. First I had heard of the Camino de Santiago... really enjoyed the movie.

rain dogs
02-22-2012, 11:17 PM
What are the driest and warmest parts of the year. Prefer not to ride in wet/mud/cold. Am thinking a cross-bike with 28 tires and a set of panniers.

Where did you stay during the trip? Did you make reservations or can one simply drop in to a posada, etc?

Thanks for you help.

I had all of my accommodations pre-arranged.

Warmest, and Driest? It's Spain... so I imagine the warmest and driest will be August. Although keep in mind that along the Cordillera Cantabrica (mountains in the North of Spain in Asturias, Galicia, Cantabria etc.) it's much wetter than other parts of Spain. But maybe I'm misunderstanding? Are you wondering when it is dry and warm but not hot as hell?

There are many different reasons people are interested in the route, but for a great many it's a religious-life-monument, so those into that are usually going with the idea of arriving on July 25th (the feast day of St.James)... when it's plenty hot and dry.

I'm not into religion so that didn't influence my trip, but that's when the most people are on the Camino.

97CSI
02-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Pre-arranged accommodations. That sounds good. Did you do so through a travel agency or book yourself on-line?

Am thinking Sept/Oct time-frame when plane fares have dropped back to reasonable levels, as have accommodation costs, etc. Weather still warm but not hot and not the 'rainy season', if there is one.

Also want to avoid the crowds. Probably hold the Camino ride to under 10-days and then another week+ on the north side of the Pyrenees. Might ride it backwards to facilitate doing so.

Any problem with going the opposite direction? Did you notice anyone doing so? We would probably stick to "the beaten path" to make access to services easier.

As you state, not really into religion (too many gods around - I'd likely pick the wrong one :confused: ).

Fishbike
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
I read the following book about the Camino de Santiago.

I'm Off Then: Losing and Finding Myself on the Camino de Santiago by Hape Kerkeling

It's written by a German comedian. It's a breazy, amusing, introspective, not too spiritual read.

A friend of mine walked it for a few days. She loved it and wants to do more of it.

Good luck. It's a very cool goal.

97CSI
02-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Did rent and watch "The Way" last night and it reinforced our wish to do the ride. We spend a fair amount of time in France, so dropping below the Pyrenees will be a nice adder.

97CSI
03-10-2012, 01:09 PM
If riding from the east to the west end of the route, what options does one have on storage of the bike travel case at the start and getting back from the end with their bike (and no travel case) from the west end?

rain dogs
03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
If riding from the east to the west end of the route, what options does one have on storage of the bike travel case at the start and getting back from the end with their bike (and no travel case) from the west end?

No idea. Likely only expensive options like storing it at the airport you fly into or renting bag storage at the train station or something.

I'd just do the cardboard box option.

As for other questions:

I don't arrange too many things before I go, it reduces your likelihood of finding something spontaneous and fun.

No problem going the opposite way. If you're on the road, it's the same as if there was no Camino, just with hundreds of people walking beside you in the other direction.

Buzz
03-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Forumite Eros Poli did this trip last August: http://www.eros-poli.com/images/docs/Raccona_Camino_de_Santiago.pdf

Not sure if they are doing it again this year. You can always email him and ask.

It's in Italian but you could google translate it. There is probably a lot of information in there about such a trip that might help you get a better idea of what it consists of for your own planning purposes.

Eros said it was one of the highlights of his year.

eros poli
03-11-2012, 02:18 AM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.249624221735685.67266.100000643273138&type=3
take a look at my photo in last year Camino de Santiago.
Is a fantastic experience, I organize this trip every year in Agost.
Is a trip for reacing bike,Beatiful roads, fantastic historical monuments.
the program : http://www.eros-poli.com/images/docs/Raccona_Camino_de_Santiago.pdf
eros poli

eros poli
03-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Rendez vous in Pamplona the 8 of August the 9th start from Roncisvalle end trip in Santiago de Compostela the 17th.
Full assistance with our Van, I will the guide on the official European road of Camino de Santiago de Compostela .
We stay in AC hotels (mariott) and you can rent a Pinarello bike
if you interssted contact me eros_poli@libero.it

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.249624221735685.67266.100000643273138&type=3
take a look at my photo in last year Camino de Santiago.
Is a fantastic experience, I organize this trip every year in Agost.
Is a trip for reacing bike,Beatiful roads, fantastic historical monuments.
the program : http://www.eros-poli.com/images/docs/Raccona_Camino_de_Santiago.pdf
eros poli

97CSI
03-11-2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the pic's, etc., but a big part of this is to not do it with a an organized group. And, riding during the 'hot season' is not what we are after.

jemoryl
03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
I seem to recall some accounts of doing this on the www.crazyguyonabike.com website.