PDA

View Full Version : Bicyclist shows a pushy driver who really rules the road

Keith A
02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
http://now.msn.com/now/0222-Cyclist-takes-revenge-on-driver.aspx

So what do you think? Did the driver deserve this or did the cyclist go too far?

leooooo
02-22-2012, 12:25 PM
holy over reaction batman

reidbeloni
02-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I was expecting him to break a window. I wish I could carry around a 2,000lbs piece of steel while I'm riding though to defend myself.

Ahneida Ride
02-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Was that William ?

Uh..... No .... :rolleyes:

vqdriver
02-22-2012, 12:37 PM
sheesh. i wonder what words were exchanged...

Ramjm_2000
02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Both acted poorly but it was obvious that the driver had every intention of using the 2K lbs. car as a weapon.

nighthawk
02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
The car v. cyclist dynamic is a tough one to navigate... more civility on both sides would be a welcome change...

..but watching the cyclist pedal away, while the impatient driver puts it's hazards on... sure feels like a win for the good guys.

In the long run? probably not the smartest move.

firerescuefin
02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
..but watching the cyclist pedal away, while the impatient driver puts it's hazards on... sure feels like a win for the good guys.

I felt like a dad watching my son punch a bully in the mouth. Not what I would teach or necessarily condone, but brought a smiling smirk to my face.

MattTuck
02-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Don't have all the facts, what was said, etc.

I still think the safest strategy for a cyclist is to ride defensively and like everyone is going to kill you. No reason to escalate a combustible situation for no reason other than you get hot headed or feel insulted. If you feel your safety is in danger, get to where you feel safe.

I'm sure even this turn the other cheek/zen approach has its limits, and this guy just hit a breaking point, maybe he had a bad day at work, who knows.

I hope that is not his usual reaction to an arrogant driver.

let cooler heads prevail.

54ny77
02-22-2012, 12:53 PM
both are idiots.

cyclist: chickens&%! maneuver. if you're gonna do something like that, be ready to stand there and deal with the aftermath, not run away like a little kid who just stole cookies from the cookie jar.

MattTuck
02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
both are idiots.

cyclist: chickens&%! maneuver. if you're gonna do something like that, be ready to stand there and deal with the aftermath, not run away like a little kid who just stole cookies from the cookie jar.

Maybe he was wearing speedplays...

I don't even think that Bruce Lee would stay and fight if he were wearing speedplays. :rolleyes:

Ramjm_2000
02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
I felt like a dad watching my son punch a bully in the mouth. Not what I would teach or necessarily condone, but brought a smiling smirk to my face.

This. :beer:

54ny77
02-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Good point.

Would be like an episode of Benny Hill. :banana:

I don't even think that Bruce Lee would stay and fight if he were wearing speedplays. :rolleyes:

Elefantino
02-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I still think the safest strategy for a cyclist is to ride defensively and like everyone is going to kill you.
Word(s).

firerescuefin
02-22-2012, 12:59 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing...You make that mistake once.

signed,
Speedplay wearer

dream_theater
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Not even wearing a helmet either...

Bob Loblaw
02-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Generally speaking when you have two groups with conflicting interests trying to get along, less aggression I better. I suspect both driver and cyclist think they each have the moral high ground and are gOing to be even more aggressive next time.

BL

Jaq
02-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Guess I'm in the minority here. That cyclist is a utter d-bag.

firerescuefin
02-22-2012, 02:02 PM

......and the driver...the same one that is nearly running another car off the road before bullying the cyclist.

Not condoning, but someone threatening you and bullying you with their car tends to raise your ire...

yngpunk
02-22-2012, 02:14 PM

But remember, in Enter the Dragon, Bruce states that his style is the "Art of Fighting without Fighting"

- Someone who's seen Enter the Dragon too many times... :beer:

Germany_chris
02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Looks like Stuttgart traffic.

I think I would have given the door a good solid kick too..violence begets more violence if you're going to be violent with a ton, you need to expect violence in return

bobswire
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Two wrongs don't make for right. It was pretty evident the car was taking that space, why force the confrontation ? We get enough of them as cyclists without provoking one.

thinpin
02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
So that me on the bike....
the driver pushes in and I open my arms and in a pleading way and look at them with a "whats going on here" look......

the driver ignores me or looks sheepish.....I shake my head in disgust and move on, I'm not hurt. :crap:

the driver laughs or give me the bird.....BAM mirror gone :bike:

Each situation is unique, but I think thats how I might react

CaptStash
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM

Nah, I'm with you. The guy in the car was trying to move over for a while and nobody was letting him in. I'd be aggro too. Then the cyclist messes with him and slides in in front of him to continue to make it difficult for the car to move over. No, the driver wasn't a good guy here, but the cyclist was being an active jerk. He did monetary damage. Not cool, and I didn't think the car was particularly aggressive. Didn't cut off the cyclist, simply pulled up near him while he was stopped. The mirror smashing appeared to be more about the cyclist's reaction to the driver's words, or simply a bad attitude. Either way, in my book, he's a DB.

CaptStash....

laupsi
02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
having the privelage of being a spectator on this one, as opposed to not being either the driver or the cyclist, I think the cyclist over reacted.

in MHO the cyclist was not in danger, at least not by the immediate actions of the driver in question. he is in danger because of this riding style and the fact he's not wearing a lid.

he appears to be riding in the traffic, in harms way, he's not utilizing the no. one rule about driving/riding in traffic, separating from others. not that the driver did nothing wrong, just think this cyclist is riding w/much strees and agnst, probably his own doing judging by his riding style.

martinrjensen
02-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Both could have handled it better. The biker was threading his way through traffic, He wasn't at all interested in using a lane and his path was still open for movement. That was a totally chickensh*t move on his part. I agree that if he is going to do something like that, stay there and deal with the aftermath like a man. don't go running away like a baby.

coylifut
02-22-2012, 03:06 PM
when i was 17 i was in a similar situation. it was raining steady at the time. i reached over ripped off both the wipers, threw 'em at the car and rode away. i felt really bad about it at the time. now i don't.

Earl Gray
02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
The cyclist was a complete ASS and deserves a beat down.

zap
02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
after a second look, maybe not so clear but still think the cyclist over reacted.

tannhauser
02-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Biker watches guy almost hitting other guy, other guy says eff this, pulls off. Did the aggro guy need to get over right away? Apparently not. Biker takes umbrage at the social irresponsibility of aggro guy, biker plays the same game. Driver possibly learns a lesson.

Can't apply US thinking to this scenario, but I'd say the driver got what he deserved.

Fixed
02-22-2012, 03:58 PM
return of the right hook
cheers :beer:

learningtoride
02-22-2012, 04:05 PM

martinrjensen
02-22-2012, 04:12 PM
That mirror replacement probably cost as much as the guys bike. I bet that will be $500.00 to fix. You just don't do those types of things and then ride off. The biker should pay for the repair costs (which of course won't happen).
Overall this is why it's good to just keep your cool. Both guys got overly excited. If a cop saw that, the biker definitely would have been responsible for the repair costs.Biker watches guy almost hitting other guy, other guy says eff this, pulls off. Did the aggro guy need to get over right away? Apparently not. Biker takes umbrage at the social irresponsibility of aggro guy, biker plays the same game. Driver possibly learns a lesson.

Can't apply US thinking to this scenario, but I'd say the driver got what he deserved.

firerescuefin
02-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Gummee
02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Both acted poorly but it was obvious that the driver had every intention of using the 2K lbs. car as a weapon.
I'm going to go with this one.

Both were in the wrong.

M

Peter P.
02-22-2012, 05:35 PM
The entire event looks staged.

I'd like to see how the two cars and the cyclist were behaving prior to what's on the video. It's not clear to me whether the black car was refusing the silver car a lane change or the silver car was being aggressive. I'm also sorta puzzled why the cyclist was between the silver and black cars. I would have expected him to ride to the left of the black car throughout the video.

A lot of stuff doesn't add up here.

tiretrax
02-22-2012, 06:11 PM
From that video, it looked like the cyclist was over reacting, IMHO. What took place before they came into view would be of interest to me. I don't see anything wrong with the white car entering the same lane. I'm sure there must have been some colorful words, also. I've come close to doing something similar a few times, especially when I am walking to my car after work. I cross a busy intersection where people are trying to enter a freeway (which is backed up). Even though I have a cross signal, people try to cut me off to get on the freeway, just to sit in traffic. I've considered carrying a rock, but it would be stupid to go to jail or pay for someone's repairs. If I get hit, however, the driver will not survive!

1centaur
02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
My interpretation: silver car trying to bully his way in on black car (not that rare, slightly unusual, but could have been anxious about getting where he needs to go), cyclist sees that and should back off because that's dangerous to him. Doesn't back off but stays too close, which suggests a certain disposition on the day, at least. Black car unexpectedly pulls off and then cyclist moves into that space (knowing the silver car wants it) and INTENTIONALLY cuts off the silver car to the extent that he almost runs up the back of the next car, skidding to a stop because he had to speed up to be sure he got ahead of the silver car (he could have let the silver car in after moving over, especially given that his later willingness to go up the gutter shows it would not have resulted in a delay). I'm betting the silver car driver then honked his horn, as in "hey buddy, what the hell, you knew I was moving over." The cyclist says "screw you!" and, while his head is turned to mouth off, the car he almost slid into moves forward. The silver car driver sees he has room to complete his lane change and get out of the way of the drivers in the lane he was coming from and moves farther into the newly created space. The cyclist takes this as a personal challenge to what he perceived as his win and acts like a petulant child.

Punk.

firerescuefin
02-22-2012, 06:32 PM
My interpretation: silver car trying to bully his way in on black car (not that rare, slightly unusual, but could have been anxious about getting where he needs to go), cyclist sees that and should back off because that's dangerous to him. Doesn't back off but stays too close, which suggests a certain disposition on the day, at least. Black car unexpectedly pulls off and then cyclist moves into that space (knowing the silver car wants it) and INTENTIONALLY cuts off the silver car to the extent that he almost runs up the back of the next car, skidding to a stop because he had to speed up to be sure he got ahead of the silver car (he could have let the silver car in after moving over, especially given that his later willingness to go up the gutter shows it would not have resulted in a delay). I'm betting the silver car driver then honked his horn, as in "hey buddy, what the hell, you knew I was moving over." The cyclist says "screw you!" and, while his head is turned to mouth off, the car he almost slid into moves forward. The silver car driver sees he has room to complete his lane change and get out of the way of the drivers in the lane he was coming from and moves farther into the newly created space. The cyclist takes this as a personal challenge to what he perceived as his win and acts like a petulant child.

Punk.

Very subjective interp from a very objective guy ;)

I saw it differently, but so is life. :beer:

mister
02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
a-hole is an a-hole whether in a car or on a bike

both look like a-holes to me
cyclist maybe moreso

killacks
02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
I can't draw any conclusions here. I think there's too much missing information (what occurred prior to video footage, etc.).

However, my first thought was, "Ouch!" Idk if you are wearing a glove or not, but that probably hurt later.

C5 Snowboarder
02-22-2012, 07:51 PM
I wonder who is videoing this and why was the camera on at this time.. seems like it is set up to me.. seems like this was a set up.. what apears to the eye is not what appears to be true set of events.
I call BS

bironi
02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey, I don't know the real story. Looks like both are aggressive. I really don't think videos alone tell a complete story. I do get tired of them being presented as clear evidence. The bus video yes, but this, not sure.

Jaq
02-22-2012, 10:52 PM
My interpretation: [snip]
Punk.

Couldn't agree more.

Thing is (to me), we're all obviously cyclists here and want respect and (butchering another man's words), "a little courtesy, of the commonest, god damndest kind." I'd be a d-bag if I didn't admit to losing my temper. In fact, my wife actually made me start riding in the mornings again because when I rode in the afternoon, I'd come home in the foulest moods imaginable.

But I think too many of us - cyclists and motorists alike - think of it as a zero-sum game: if I yield, the other guy wins. Worse, that's exacerbated by fear, and it's ugly step-child, anger.

Ultimately, though, and even when I know I'm in the right, I know one other thing: physics don't care.

Physics don't care about the right of way, physics ain't gonna send flowers to the hospital or condolences to my widow. Physics is just gonna kill me when I'm stupid enough to tangle with an object 10 times my mass, driven by someone who's probably looking at his darling baby after it says "hi, daddy!" in the mirror. It's especially gonna kill me when I tangle with an aggressive driver who hasn't the foggiest idea just how much energy a 2,000 pound car traveling just 5 miles an hour has.

It's all well and good to be in the right. I'd rather be in the pink.

Der_Kruscher
02-22-2012, 11:08 PM
That was one flimsy mirror! If the cyclist didn't break it off a stiff wind would have.

Lifecycle
02-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Not a good idea by either party.
Luckily that's all the further it went

Two thumbs Down to both party !!!

Mudbug
02-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Can't see it because it requires the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight and I don't do Microsoft.

Germany_chris
02-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Can't see it because it requires the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight and I don't do Microsoft.

Moonlight usually works for this kinda stuff if you're on Linux..

Silverlight is available for Mac..

If you just don't want to support MS you're a great person! :beer:

cat6
02-23-2012, 02:19 AM

I just watched it on an iPhone...

Fixed
02-23-2012, 08:25 AM
easier tp replace mirror than jaw
cheers imho

Wilkinson4
02-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Car will always win. Just curious about this guys choice of route. That looked like a CF and bike accident waiting to happen. I always choose a route that is less traveled even if it means a longer ride.

mIKE

tuscanyswe
02-23-2012, 09:00 AM
hehehe if i did that every time someone cut me off in traffic id get run over within a week. What a complete overreacting. You never know whos inside the car, lotsa idiots out there. Ive been chased around the streets by angry motorists for far less. Not a pleasent situation. Ive even had a driver purpously try to hit me at pretty high speed for thinking me running a redlight a few intersections back was a stupid move..

Idris Icabod
02-23-2012, 09:39 AM
I've travelled to unknown places and misunderstood my GPS and needed to change lanes, parhaps that is what the silver car needed to do? Amazing how many people won't give up a few meters worth of road space to allow you to move over to make a turn in these situations. What would it have cost to let the guy in, whether he is an aggressive jerk or a hapless tourist, certainly a lot less adrenaline giving the guy a friendly wave and getting on with our lives.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2012, 05:42 PM
http://now.msn.com/now/0222-Cyclist-takes-revenge-on-driver.aspx

So what do you think? Did the driver deserve this or did the cyclist go too far?

ASays I gotta install the latest version of microsoft silverlight(???))

Thanks bill, now kma...