PDA

View Full Version : Tubular tape removal

reidbeloni
02-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I bought a set of wheels recently which had tires taped to carbon rims. I am not a fan of taping; plus the tape was coming up in places. So I want to re-glue the tire using my preferred gluing technique. My question is about tubular tape removal from the tire. There is a thin strip of white semi-tacky tape on the base tape of my tire. If it was equally thin old glue I would just glue right on top, but I am not sure about doing that with tubular tape.

1st: Is it okay to glue on top of old tubular tape. Considering I know nothing of the tape's age, condition, application, ect.

2nd: If I should remove the tubular tape from the tire, how do I? I can't use a solvent, obviously, and going at it with a scraper is not really working so well.

Thanks for the insight.

corky
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
hAirdryer.... then scrape & pull.

R2D2
02-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Hairdryer. Heat and scrape (softly) a section at a time.
Use Goof-off to remove residue.
Acetone to remove any oils left from Goof-off.

Or 3M Adhesive remover works good too.

cfox
02-22-2012, 07:40 AM
If it is the newer Tufo tape (Tufo is white and the most common brand), apply a little heat, peel an edge up (by the valve hole) and the whole thing should peel off the base tape in one pull. If it is some other brand of tape, I don't know. The new Tufo tape works great and cleans up easy.

rockdude
02-22-2012, 08:18 AM
send to tirealert and get new basetape....