PDA

View Full Version : So, is this doping?

paulh
02-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Inhalable caffeine.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46447026/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/fda-review-inhalable-caffeine/

Joachim
02-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Some people would say 100mg of caffiene = 100mg of caffeine. Whether you inhale it or drink it out of a cup or take a tablet. However, the route of adiminstration has a huge impact on a drugs effects. For example, difference between nasal cocaine and crack. The same drug, just the route of administration differs. Inhalation is right up there for getting the drug delivered fast to the brain. So inhaling 100mg of caffeine shouldbe quite different from drinking a cup of coffee with 100mg of caffeine. Doping, depends. Is it being used to get a performance advantage? Last time I looked, caffeine was removed from the list (again).

paulh
02-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Methinks my heart would be a quivering.

AngryScientist
02-20-2012, 07:21 AM
marketing this stuff to college kids is bad news.

what was that stuff they banned a year back or so? basically a red bull typed drink loaded in booze and caffeine?

Joachim
02-20-2012, 07:28 AM

what was that stuff they banned a year back or so? basically a red bull typed drink loaded in booze and caffeine?

O yes, I forgot about that. I should make one of those.

Nooch
02-20-2012, 07:45 AM

4Loko....

Bob Loblaw
02-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Yeah something about the combo of caffeine and booze has been causing heart failure. A depressant and a stimulant administered at the same time is bad for the heart? Who knew? :confused:

Caffeine is okay. So many riders love their espresso, banning it would be like taking cigarettes away from prison inmates.

BL

54ny77
02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
AeroShot, the flagship product of Cambridge, Mass.-based Breathable Foods, is the product of a conversation that Edwards had with celebrity French inspector Jacques Clouseau over lunch in the summer of 1975.

The first venture Edwards worked on with Harvard students was the breathable chocolate, called Le Whif. Now he's preparing to promote a product called Le Fart, which involves putting wax figurine likenesses of politicians in futuristic-looking glass mason jars and turning them into low calorie clouds of stench.

zap
02-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Caffeine is okay. So many riders love their espresso, banning it would be like taking cigarettes away from prison inmates.

BL

If I'm not mistaken, there is a limit.

Joachim
02-20-2012, 10:39 AM
If I'm not mistaken, there is a limit.

No according to 2012 WADA list. It's only being monitored. It was removed from the banned list in 2004.

Joachim
02-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah something about the combo of caffeine and booze has been causing heart failure. A depressant and a stimulant administered at the same time is bad for the heart? Who knew? :confused:
BL

Alcohol is a stimulant at low dosages...

bobswire
02-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Methinks my heart would be a quivering.

I had to give up coffee for that very reason, it caused me to have irregular (arrhythmia) heart beats. For what ever reason it was the trigger, took me awhile along with my Doc to find the cause of it.
Coca Cola will have the same affect on me, I think this inhaler stuff has the potential to be fatal for someone with my condition.

rePhil
02-20-2012, 11:46 AM
One troubling fact is that there doesn't appear to be an age limit to purchase or use. I can see young kids getting it. Kind of like the bath salt craze.

thwart
02-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Right... you can do one or the other... tough choice...

Joachim
02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Right... you can do one or the other... tough choice...

Hmm, I miss a cookie. Or is that only in countries other than Italy?

Jaq
02-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Hmm, I miss a cookie. Or is that only in countries other than Italy?

A cookie. Laughing about the climb. Oggling the pretty girls. Trading tips about cleaning chains or bike-friendly routes through the city...

Or horking a lungful of ick while waiting in line for the latest iPhone.

Tough choice...