PDA

View Full Version : OT: Skate Skiing

firerescuefin
02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Will be coming off of multiple hip scopes in March (March 5 the last one). Looking to target some races in late summer/early fall. Skate skiing is something the doc would be a good compliment to riding as I ramp things up. It looks right up my alley, and we have tons of great paths for it.

I know somebody here does this...thoughts, experiences.

maxdog
02-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Hey Geoff, I do both parallel and skate xc skiing. I use the term parallel to include both track and un-groomed trails. Skate skiing is lots of fun and a great workout. Possibly one of the best overall aerobic workouts you can get, since it uses both upper and lower body simultaneously. The thing is, you really should have the proper equipment, which is somewhat different than standard track skis. the boots tend to be stiffer, with more ankle support and the skis are shorter and narrower. Good equipment, like in any sport, is not cheap. The other aspect, is the need for wider groomed trails. I do occasionally skate with my regular track skis to add variety, but only for limited distances. Since I live rurally and can basically walk out my door and clip into my bindings, I mostly ski un-groomed snow mobile trails. It is somewhat like riding and swimming, in that, once you get your rhythm and technique down, you can slip into the zone and really de-stress. It uses the same basic motions as skating. I would recommend some lessons to get started. Open flat snow covered fields and frozen snow covered ponds or lakes are also good venues.
Well that's my summary, feel free to shoot me any questions.

tv_vt
02-19-2012, 09:48 PM
I love skate skiing. But you need snow. Have yet to see much of that up here in normally snowy Vermont this 'winter.' If you've never tried it, be prepared to face a learning curve, especially when it comes to going up hills. I don't think I've ever got my heart rate higher than trying to skate up hills. Brutal whole body workout.

You can skate without poles on less hilly terrain. A good way to start out. Just focus on what your legs are doing. Add poles later for more power.

Have fun. It's addictive.

firerescuefin
02-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all of the input. Lessons will certainly be in order. Curious if any of you have tried the inline rollerskis as a way of mixing things up in the summer.

http://www.rollerskishop.com/ecart/rollerskis.php

Karin Kirk
02-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Skate skiing is endlessly entertaining because it is equally demanding of both technique and fitness. If you are the type to enjoy a little zen of technique, then you may become captivated by skate skiing.

Definitely take a lesson. In fact, take several lessons as you progress. You can rent gear at first, which will allow you to check out various boots, binding systems, etc.

Dave has rollerskis, but I opted for inline skates for fall cross training. Rollerskis do not go downhill well - there is essentially no means to slow yourself down.

How's your snow? It's finally kicking into gear here. Hopefully you can give it a try soon!

benb
02-20-2012, 09:47 AM
It's a lot of fun but like other said be prepared for a steep learning curve.. though if you are only doing it for fun it isn't going to get you down.

I raced X/C skiing in high school.. I had a great time but never did that well, no matter how hard I trained my technique just wasn't there and we didn't have a coach who was going to ever close the gap with the kids who had learned correctly.. but yet ever race was still a blast.

It is really tough.. the crossover with cycling is immense.. it'd be interesting to hear at what stage after a surgery it would be OK as it certainly is an activity that is very taxing, even if it is low impact.

I go rent once in a blue moon now.. but the snow requirements make it almost impossible to get into it these days.

firerescuefin
02-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Karin and Ben,

Thanks for the input. I really like the the rollerskis, but stopping or the lack of really seems like an issue. :)

@ 6 weeks, I will be cleared for mostly everything but impact/cutting type exercises. That's 3 months. @ 1 week I can start turning the pedals, 2 weeks off crutches, and 4 weeks elliptical machine. Biggest issue is bursitis, but can be combated with ice/drugs/stretching.

benb
02-21-2012, 09:44 AM
You are dead right about stopping!

I still inline skate (did a lot of it last summer after being forced off the bike for a while) and the one thing about that is it's way more dangerous IMO then skate skiing.. I don't know if the roller skis are safer.. I would have to work to catalog all my bike crashes but my worst injuries by far came from an inline skate crash when I was 18.. and I was wearing a full set of pads, etc..

Snow is a lot softer and it's a hell of a lot easier to learn to stop well.. skate skiis are a bit better then nordic for stopping, still much worse then telemark or downhill.. but all are a lot better then stopping with wheels!

I average something like 12-15mph on the local bike trail on my inline skates (not speed skates) and I can hold about 17mph on flat if the terrain is relatively safe.. but am I safe to stop at those speeds? No way.. I can stop on a dime on ice skates but just can't get there on inlines and I doubt I ever will.

Nothing like inline skates/rollerskis to make you appreciate bicycle brakes!

Good luck! I feel like all of this stuff is fantastic for cross training cycling because it really helps your balance & knee/hip function.. I did a lot of inline last summer, moved into weight lifting, and this winter my knees feel very good on the bike.