PDA

View Full Version : OT: camcorder

vqdriver
02-19-2012, 04:28 PM
we need a new one. online reviews are ok, but their top rates cams are such because they offer a lot of pro level features i have no use for. i'd like the image quality and speed of a top camcorder but have no desire for most of the features. i use the camcorder strictly for recording my kids and family get togethers, so outdoor/indoor shooting, quick on-to-record times, good vibration control are the name of the game for me. needless to say, the most important things are image detail and good color saturation. any input/recommendations?

i've whittled down my needs to these basic parameters:
HD
sdhc or sdxc compatible
standard file format please
good quality screen
i'd much much rather have better low light performance than a crazy zoom
touchscreen is not a deal breaker, but i prefer buttons

as for price, i can pay the 1000 to 1300 for those top rated camcorders, but that seems really excessive to me given i won't use most, if any, of the prosumer features. so i'm primarily looking for a camera with the quality of the good stuff but not all the bells and whistles. let's say somewhere in the 500-1000 range.

TIA

Steevo
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Perhaps not the answer you're looking for, but I've had great success with the video mode of my Canon Point and Shoot. The video quality is pretty good & the sound is OK too. My camera is probably 3 -4 years old - I'd expect the new ones to be better in all features. The biggest benefit is that I have the camera with me all the time - cycling, skiing, family events etc, thus I've been able to capture many events on video. Using iMovie for editing, special features, background music, titles and stability control has allowed me to produce a lot of watchable family videos, to the pooint where people who don't even know my family enjoy my family videos on Facebook etc. Bottom line, the best camera is the one you have with you.