PDA

View Full Version : ZG Brakes - campy or shimano pads?

AngryScientist
02-19-2012, 09:23 AM
mine kind of look like this (bought them used, dont even really know what exact model they are), anyone know if the proper pads for these holders are shimano inserts or campy. i want to order some new pads before the season.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/zerogravity/ogbrakeclose.jpg

Ramjm_2000
02-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Should be Campy. Both of mine are. If yours look like these I say they are the original ZG Ti or a ZG SS with Ti bolt kit.

firerescuefin
02-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Yes...Campy

AngryScientist
02-19-2012, 10:10 AM
thanks guys, ordering a set of campy pads now.

:beer:

Bruce K
02-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Pads in the picture look like Kool Stops to me but Campy is the way for ZG's

BK

AngryScientist
02-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks Bruce - I'm actually ordering a set of kool stop campy pads. I've had good luck with them and Swiss Stop in the past.

Competitive Cyclist confirms what you all have said as well in their product description:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2012-Kool-Stop-Replacement-Brake-Pads-1581.20.1.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Google%2BBase&utm_campaign=Datafeed

oldpotatoe
02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
thanks guys, ordering a set of campy pads now.

:beer:

No bike shop in 'Northeast NJ' have Campagnolo type brake blocks? Koolstop or jagwire?

lemondvictoire
02-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Black Campy 2000 Koolstops work for me on my ZG and you can try the other Koolstops pads also!

Lovetoclimb
02-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Been using Campy pads, both their Carbon OEM model, and Swissstop Yellow pads (campy specific) in my Negative G's.

One thing I learned the hard way: If you plan on running wider rims (Hed C2, Zipp 303, Velocity A-23) you will need a shallow pad holder. I had to order these from Ciamillo at $90 for the set of 4! :crap:

AngryScientist
02-19-2012, 02:46 PM
No bike shop in 'Northeast NJ' have Campagnolo type brake blocks? Koolstop or jagwire?

i've found jagwire pads to be pretty terrible. they harden up quickly, lousy braking performance, and bad on rims.

none of the shops that are a close drive/ride for me even know how to spell campagnolo, much less carry any parts for them. i confirmed this last year, trying to build my Serotta, and wanting a set of campagnolo cables and housings. you would think i was asking for the arc of the covenant, ridiculous.

mind you, i'm a big proponent of local business, i buy lots of things from the "little guys" - just this morning i bought a pound of coffee beans from a very local shop that sources the beans and roasts them in-house, very delicious too.

campy stuff at the lbs though - that's a no go around here.

Bruce K
02-19-2012, 03:06 PM
LtC -

You actually don't have to change the pad carrier.

One of my cycling coaches is a former pro and former ZeroG employee. He gave me a really cool trick to using the ZeroG's with C2 rims, etc.

Just don't close the cam after installing new pads. The brakes work fine, have plenty of clearance and the wheels just pop on or off.

The reason you have to do this starting with new pads is that the angle of engagement changes and with older pads you would be only contacting about 1/2 the pad.

BK

oldpotatoe
02-20-2012, 08:47 AM
i've found jagwire pads to be pretty terrible. they harden up quickly, lousy braking performance, and bad on rims.

none of the shops that are a close drive/ride for me even know how to spell campagnolo, much less carry any parts for them. i confirmed this last year, trying to build my Serotta, and wanting a set of campagnolo cables and housings. you would think i was asking for the arc of the covenant, ridiculous.

mind you, i'm a big proponent of local business, i buy lots of things from the "little guys" - just this morning i bought a pound of coffee beans from a very local shop that sources the beans and roasts them in-house, very delicious too.

campy stuff at the lbs though - that's a no go around here.

That's a sign of another set of 'lazy' bike shops. The Campagnolo 'stuff', like brake pads, are found at most of the same distributors as shimano and sram.

Gee a few sets of cables, brake pads, hoods, maybe a few cogsets would set the bike shop back...what, maybe $500?? Pitiful. With a just a few items and a wrench that isn't too lazy to learn about these things, "BIKE", a shop could become the 'local' Campagnolo shop. Not a big market, but if all the Campag people go there, it IS a large segment.

BTW-I sell a lot of Jagwire pads, for Campagnolo and shimano and haven't seen/heard what you said about them(not saying it doesn't happen) but one thing fer sure, if a customer is unhappy(the pads hurt my rims), you will hear about it.