PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Equipment

Dekonick
08-18-2005, 07:07 AM
Ok - I managed to get work to buy a really nice Precor (can hardly believe they gave in!!!)

Now I am looking for a short list of what else y'all think a small gym should have. At present we have alot of just plain old crap. (stairmaster from 1980's, treadmill that doesnt work, a 'universal' gym...)

The budget is tight, but don't let that limit suggestions!

I was thinking
a spin cycle, free weights (dumbells) up to say 65's, squat rack or similar, incline bench, decline bench, jump rope, a mat big enough to stretch / do yoga, etc...

remember - I am the only one who rides a road bike. There are a few knuckle draggers, but most are non cyclists.

JohnS
08-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Concept 2 rower.

William
08-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Ok - I managed to get work to buy a really nice Precor (can hardly believe they gave in!!!)

Now I am looking for a short list of what else y'all think a small gym should have. At present we have alot of just plain old crap. (stairmaster from 1980's, treadmill that doesnt work, a 'universal' gym...)

The budget is tight, but don't let that limit suggestions!

I was thinking
a spin cycle, free weights (dumbells) up to say 65's, squat rack or similar, incline bench, decline bench, jump rope, a mat big enough to stretch / do yoga, etc...

remember - I am the only one who rides a road bike. There are a few knuckle draggers, but most are non cyclists.
Those are all good. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Concept II rowing ergometer is the single best piece of exercise equipment you can buy. It will hit the entire body, and you can go aerobic or anaerobic depending on how you use it. Straight from the factory you can get it for around $800. From an exercise equipment shop it will cost you twice that. It's the only machine that collegiate and elite Olympic rowing programs use. There's a reason you rarely see these for sale used, people keep them.
There is a small technique curve, but they include videos and booklets to set you straight if you don't know how.

You'll be amazed at how much it can help your cycling motor.

William

H.Frank Beshear
08-18-2005, 07:47 AM
There are several models of adjustable dumbells that take up very little room and cost less than a full set. I have one that adjusts from 5-45 pounds. I have a concept 2 and use it in the winter. Frank

Birddog
08-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Nordic Trak. You can find them at thrift stores for under $50 with heart meter. They fold up and store out of the way.

Birddog

JasonF
08-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Hey Dekonick,

I'll post a pic of my home gym later. Here's a breakdown of what I have:

Weight training:
1. Precor (universal) weight machine
2. Flat bench press
3. "Powerblock" dumbbells (saves a ton of space)
4. Calf station
5. dumbbell bench
6. various freeweights (plates, bars, etc...)
7. Roman bench (for back strength)

Cardio:
1. Lemond Revmaster (it rocks!)
2. Kettler elliptical trainer (it's fair)
3. Trotter treadmill

I also have a tv, radio, dvd and cable tv setup for entertainment. No need to join a gym here!

Too Tall
08-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Universal Bench so the apes can bench press and lots of other things you can do with free weights on a good bench.

Skip the squat rack. Get a compact inclined leg press that uses Olympic weights so you can share plates with the apes who lift barbells.

High quality floor covering. Go large, get the good stuff.

110% agree about the concept II. Awesome piece.

Dekonick
08-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Is the concept II a rower that uses water to simulate resistance?

Never thought about a block dumbell stack thingie; I've seen them but it looked rather - ahem - flimsy.

I also can easily see people not putting the block back together again...

Humpty Dumpty went to go work out...
Humpty Dumpty tripped over weights not put back...
you get the idea...

William
08-18-2005, 03:04 PM

No, the ConceptII uses an adjustable damper & air resistance to produce varying amounts of drag. It's the closest thing to the feeling of actually rowing on the water that you can get. On top of that it's just a kick butt work out.

Concept II (http://www.concept2.com/05/default.asp?bhcp=1)

Muscles used (http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/musclesused.asp)

William

weisan
08-18-2005, 03:18 PM
William-pal, I sent you a PM.

JohnS
08-18-2005, 03:20 PM

Never thought about a block dumbell stack thingie; I've seen them but it looked rather - ahem - flimsy.

I also can easily see people not putting the block back together again...

Humpty Dumpty went to go work out...
Humpty Dumpty tripped over weights not put back...
you get the idea...
The only water involved is the sweat pouring off of you after a 30min workout!

William
08-18-2005, 03:20 PM
William-pal, I sent you a PM.
Sent one right back at you. ;)

William