PDA

View Full Version : KEO squeak- help

krhea
02-17-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm suffering from the dreaded Keo squeak and can't get it to stop. Anyone found a cure? I can get it to stop for a bit then it comes back. Do the Keo Max 2s or the "Carbons" have the squeak?

Thanks for any help.

KRhea

BumbleBeeDave
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
. . . cleats you have? The old Delta's squeaked bad, but since I switched to the new KEO's no squeak.

BBD

crownjewelwl
02-17-2012, 12:40 PM
you gotta get the new cleats with the white teflon parts that actually contact the pedal

no squeak

for some reason they ship the pedals with the crappy grip cleats that (1) don't grip well cuz the rubber comes off after about 2 rides and (2) squeak!

gone
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I'll second what others have said about the new cleats and add that mine will squeak if they're not clean - not surgically clean just no obvious dust/dirt on either the pedals or cleats.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Use baby powder on the cleats. Seriously. Good for three or four rides, then re-apply.

Better yet, get Shimano pedals.

mandasol
02-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Look Keos with the plate over the center all squealed for me, Classics, sprints, max. The original Keo Carbons that do not have the plate are the only pedals that seemed to not squeal under any circumstance or type of cleat I used, so I have several sets that I use on all my road bikes. I bought a set of Dura Ace pedals to try, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

old_fat_and_slow
02-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I've experience Look cleat squeak on all my Look cleats Keo, and pre-Keo.

I have never found anything that solves the problem for good. Yes, I've got the new cleats with the teflon in them, and they squeak eventually too. The best fix I've found is to use some form of dry lube on on them (e.g., Boeshield, Pro-gold, etc.,....). It works, but you have to keep doing it. The frequency depends on how often you ride, and the riding conditions.

If anyone has a permanent fix, I'd luv to hear it.

cfox
02-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Better yet, get Shimano pedals.
This. It is ridiculous that pedals should require freaking baby powder to stay quiet. I switched to Shimano and put the powder back in the medicine chest. Looks squeak to the point that they should be recalled.

Steve in SLO
02-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Some Triflow on the cleats has worked well for me, but as others have said, reapply often.

krhea
02-17-2012, 06:43 PM
So it seems the general consensus is that it's the actual cleat/pedal interface that makes the annoying squeak and not the pedal axle/crank arm juncture?

old_fat_and_slow
02-17-2012, 07:51 PM
So it seems the general consensus is that it's the actual cleat/pedal interface that makes the annoying squeak and not the pedal axle/crank arm juncture?

Yes !

harryblack
02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
get TIME pedals (I'm on various RX-S now)... I'd ridden Looks since the 1980s, finally quit them (for the damn squeaking, stupid cleats) in 1999 or so. Only 'advantage' of Looks is, if racing, nobody riding 'em in the pack can sneak attack because you WILL hear 'em coming up... On the other hand, Looks are especially annoying if you're anywhere near 'em on climbs.

I'm suffering from the dreaded Keo squeak and can't get it to stop. Anyone found a cure? I can get it to stop for a bit then it comes back. Do the Keo Max 2s or the "Carbons" have the squeak?

Thanks for any help.

KRhea

benitosan1972
02-17-2012, 08:15 PM
TO ELIMINATE SQUEAK OF CLEAT-TO-PEDAL = light a candle and drip the wax onto the cleat esp in the front of the triangle where it will contact the front of the pedal. This has ALWAYS worked for me. I'm not sure if this is the cleat squeak that's a problem for you... but candlewax is a tip handed-down to me from an old-school roadie

vqdriver
02-17-2012, 08:40 PM
hhmmmm. i've got keos on all my bikes in different flavors and of both the max and original variety. no squeaking at all, ever. i've only used the cleats with the white (teflon?) at the tips and not the rubber walking tips.

i suspect there's a silent contingent of happy keo users who simply can't offer a fix cuz they haven't had to deal with it. at least i can't imagine i'm the only one....

fatallightning
02-17-2012, 08:44 PM
All these solutions are terrible. Get SPD-Sls and be done with it. The money you save on cleats will have them paid off in a year or 2.

happycampyer
02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I usually light a candle and do a seance. Actually, I have 6 or so of the blades currently and have had a dozen or so of the regular or HM ones and never had any squeaks. I hope I don't jinx myself for posting this.