PDA

View Full Version : DA10 brifters with 9-speed cassette?

Climb01742
08-18-2005, 06:18 AM
anyone have any experience with how well 10-speed brifters shift 9-speed cassettes? is such a combo possible?

ergott
08-18-2005, 06:58 AM
I can't imagine it would work well because DA 10 crams 10 speeds into a space smaller than 9 sp. Hence the spacer with the 10 cassette. You might be able to get a few good shifts until the spacing is too different.

dirtdigger88
08-18-2005, 07:02 AM
climb we have covered this before- You put the derailure cable over the washer on the derailure (rather than under it) and that shorten the throw to the derailure- so it works with 9 speed- I have not tried it myself but it has been covered here

Jason

Johny
08-18-2005, 08:12 AM
climb we have covered this before- You put the derailure cable over the washer on the derailure (rather than under it) and that shorten the throw to the derailure- so it works with 9 speed- I have not tried it myself but it has been covered here

Jason

I think it is the 10 sp derailleur that works for the 9 sp cassette, not the brifters.

Ray
08-18-2005, 08:17 AM
I think it is the 10 sp derailleur that works for the 9 sp cassette, not the brifters.
Its the brifters - the Shimano derailures are pretty much interchangeable and dependent on the brifters to determine their movement. The discussion of changing the cable routing through the pinch bolt has generally referred to Campy 10 speed brifters with Shimano derailures and cassettes. I'm not sure if people have tried it with the Shimano 10-speed or not, but their cable pull may be different than Campy 10, so the same approach may or may not work.

-Ray

Jeff N.
08-18-2005, 08:28 AM
But if you've gone to the expense of buying DA-7800 Brake levers/shifters, why not just buy the 10-speed cassette (go Ultegra, save a few bucks)? Jeff N.

Ray
08-18-2005, 08:31 AM
But if you've gone to the expense of buying DA-7800 Brake levers/shifters, why not just buy the 10-speed cassette (go Ultegra, save a few bucks)? Jeff N.
The only reason would be if you wanted to use a mtb cassette with an otherwise road setup. Wide range mtb cassettes aren't available in 10-speed, probably shouldn't be anytime soon, and can be really handy if you're weak like me, setting up a tandem, or, in Climb's case, planning something crazy like climbing Mt. Washington :rolleyes:.

-Ray

Louis
08-18-2005, 08:39 AM
It's a bit late in the game to be making changes to the bike, but I would use 9-spd shifters. Be like Lance and make them DT...

Jeff N.
08-18-2005, 08:47 AM
I guess I'm the type of fool who believes that if I can't get it done with 39/53 and 12-25, then it ain't gonna get done. So I guess Mt. Washington-or it's equivalent-is not for me! Good luck, Climb! Jeff N.

torquer
08-18-2005, 08:59 AM
http://www.tinmtn.org/hillclimb/forum/read.cfm?forum=13&id=9653&thread=1427

One regular poster there has been writing that his 9-speed XTR cassette works with his 10-speed brifters.

Another poster in the same thread does the math, coming up with the "error" at the 1st and 9th cog when you start by aligning the middle cog exactly; this poster state that the resulting offset might result in some noise from rubbing, but isn't enough to cause "auto-shifting" off those outer cogs.

All Shimano 9-speed cassettes (road & MTB) use the same spacing, so if these folks are to be believed it should work.

Jeremy
08-18-2005, 10:49 AM
anyone have any experience with how well 10-speed brifters shift 9-speed cassettes? is such a combo possible?

Hi Climb,

If you have D/A 10sp shifters, why not use a 10sp cassette? Ultegra cassettes are not that expensive. All of the Shimano ders except pre 1994 Dura-Ace will work properly with the 10sp shifters.

Jeremy

JohnS
08-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Climb,

If you have D/A 10sp shifters, why not use a 10sp cassette? Ultegra cassettes are not that expensive. All of the Shimano ders except pre 1994 Dura-Ace will work properly with the 10sp shifters.

Jeremy
He's talking about his mountain climbing bike and wants the dirt granny gears.

Climb01742
08-18-2005, 10:57 AM
thinking of trying to mate a 9-speed cassette onto an otherwise 10-speed shimano bike. the XTR MTB cranks -- which is a triple -- due to its wider Q factor, i'm guessing, is tweaking my right hip and knee. by yesterday the pain was noticeable. so my option is to go to an FSA compact, which i can run a 33 ring on. i have a custom 12-30 10-speed cassette or could put on a 12-34 MTB 9-speed cassette. or put FSA and 33 on a 9-speed bike, with XT RD. i'd have to do XT RD on either bike if i went 12-34 regardless. yes, it's late. :crap: :crap: :crap: but the pain is getting worse, not better, with the triple Q factor. so i'm scrambling. :D

jeffg
08-18-2005, 11:06 AM
thinking of trying to mate a 9-speed cassette onto an otherwise 10-speed shimano bike. the XTR MTB cranks -- which is a triple -- due to its wider Q factor, i'm guessing, is tweaking my right hip and knee. by yesterday the pain was noticeable. so my option is to go to an FSA compact, which i can run a 33 ring on. i have a custom 12-30 10-speed cassette or could put on a 12-34 MTB 9-speed cassette. or put FSA and 33 on a 9-speed bike, with XT RD. i'd have to do XT RD on either bike if i went 12-34 regardless. yes, it's late. :crap: :crap: :crap: but the pain is getting worse, not better, with the triple Q factor. so i'm scrambling. :D

Climb: Use your 12-30 cassette and a 48/34 setup on the FSA. Done. 34X30 is a 30X27 equivalent, so it should work. I am guessing that if your hip is bothering you on the flats, it will be worse on the mountain, so sacrifice a few gear inches and just remember to kick a**!

Kurt
08-18-2005, 11:09 AM

before a big event, not good. If you are changing things I cannot think of a better time to switch to campy - 10 speed campy shifts 9 speed shimano perfectly – in Europe I use an XTR rear der and a 12/32 and it works like a charm – I have an extra hub body attached to the cassette and I just slam in onto the Garcia hubs and off I go in <10 min. If you want to borrow the whole setup for this weekend it’s yours, just pay the shipping. All you would need is a campy right shifter and I might even have an extra one of those.

Jeremy
08-18-2005, 11:18 AM

Hi Climb,

Which XTR crankset do you have? If you have the m-950 series you can replace the spider with a 94mmBCD spider. You can run down to a 29T cog with a 94BCD. That crank uses the same interface as the Dura-Ace octalink bb. So you could run an Ultegra or D/A double bb and customize your double gearing and have a smaller Q-factor. Another option would be to find an older square taper 94BCD crank and set it up as a double with a short spindle to reduce the Q-factor and get low gears. Suntour XC-Pro, Sugino Mighty 900 or an older XT compact with a square taper may all be good options to pursue.

Jeremy

Johny
08-18-2005, 11:45 AM
What Kurt said! But Climb is so anti-Campy...

Johny
08-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Kurt and others,

Does a Dura Ace 9 speed TRIPLE rear derailleur (7700GS?) work for a 9 speed 12-32 cassette?

Louis
08-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I believe the "official" limit for the DA triple r-der is a 27 tooth cog, and folks claim to have few problems running a 28 tooth cog.

Kurt
08-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Kurt and others,

Does a Dura Ace 9 speed TRIPLE rear derailleur (7700GS?) work for a 9 speed 12-32 cassette?

I know a std campy der will shift a 29, but if you have a trip with maybe a 30 why on earth would you need anything more than a 25/7 on the rear. I think if you can't get up most of a hill with a 25-28 depending on how fat you are you need to find another route.

edit, not to imply that you are fat :rolleyes:

Climb01742
08-18-2005, 01:17 PM
i don't know whether this is the best solution, but it is the simplest in a short amount of time and offers, i think, the surest error-free performance: keep everything DA9 on the cckmp, go with a 33/48 on an FSA and a 12-34 cassette with XT RD. having a mechanical on the mountain would be :crap: .

and jeremy, if i catch the MW bug on saturday, and can see doing it again, i'll follow up with you offline to explore your suggestions.

thanks to everyone for their ideas. i knew it was risky to not test my gearing earlier, but every weekend i planned to go to ascutney, life or work had other plans for me. life...why won't it follow the game plan? ;)

Roy E. Munson
08-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Are you allowed mechanical assistance on MW if something goes wrong? Are there people (neutral support) standing at spots on the hill holding wheels in case you flat?

Kurt
08-18-2005, 01:26 PM
i don't know whether this is the best solution, but it is the simplest in a short amount of time and offers, i think, the surest error-free performance: keep everything DA9 on the cckmp, go with a 33/48 on an FSA and a 12-34 cassette with XT RD. having a mechanical on the mountain would be :crap: .

and jeremy, if i catch the MW bug on saturday, and can see doing it again, i'll follow up with you offline to explore your suggestions.

thanks to everyone for their ideas. i knew it was risky to not test my gearing earlier, but every weekend i planned to go to ascutney, life or work had other plans for me. life...why won't it follow the game plan? ;)

if you use an mtb 34 I cannot imagine you need to change the front - I climbed the bastille in grenoble with a 32 and it reaches 34%. Keep the front and the Q the same and screw with the rear, its the easy and cheap was for a one day event

Johny
08-18-2005, 01:27 PM
I know a std campy der will shift a 29, but if you have a trip with maybe a 30 why on earth would you need anything more than a 25/7 on the rear. I think if you can't get up most of a hill with a 25-28 depending on how fat you are you need to find another route.

edit, not to imply that you are fat :rolleyes:

Have you told Climb there is only one route to the top of Mt. Washington?

P.S. I am actually quite skinny, but weak. :D

BarryG
08-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes, and I can confirm it DOES work (10sp brifter/rear der plus 9sp cassette)

Barry

Climb01742
08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Are you allowed mechanical assistance on MW if something goes wrong? Are there people (neutral support) standing at spots on the hill holding wheels in case you flat?

why, are you free saturday? ;)

as far as i know, no. at that point you'd be SOOL.

Dekonick
08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Good Luck Climb. I also have a 9sp chorus brifter you can use for the event if you need - probably a little late to start that tho.

34% grade?? YEOWW!

18% kills me.

Dekonick
08-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Good Luck Climb. I also have a 9sp chorus brifter you can use for the event if you need - probably a little late to start that tho.

34 degree grade?? YEOWW!

18 deg. kills me.

DfCas
08-19-2005, 08:59 AM
I don't wanna say I told you so,but I told you to get a compact mtb triple crank way back when you first started talking about MW.A lot of people remove the middle and outer rings.

I think those that say use manly gears have no idea of the mountain you are going to climb.Its nice to have some really low gears in case you have a bad patch and need some time to recover,without stopping.

Anyway,I hope you have a good ride.

dan