PDA

View Full Version : Ergopower cable routing

GRAVELBIKE
02-17-2012, 11:27 AM
I've got 3rd-generation Campy Centaur Ergopower (10s, Pro-Shift) mounted on Ritchey Curve bars (which have no cable grooves). What's the consensus on cross-over (i.e., "inside of curve") vs outside cable routing? I'm looking for the smoothest actuation/feel.

Oh yeah, no ferrules on brake or derailleur housing at the lever, correct?

oldpotatoe
02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I've got 3rd-generation Campy Centaur Ergopower (10s, Pro-Shift) mounted on Ritchey Curve bars (which have no cable grooves). What's the consensus on cross-over (i.e., "inside of curve") vs outside cable routing? I'm looking for the smoothest actuation/feel.

Oh yeah, no ferrules on brake or derailleur housing at the lever, correct?

Works best if the der. housing goes behind the handlebars. Cut the ends cleanly, ensure the housing is long enough, use 5mm housing back by the rear derailleur.

That is correct, NO ferrules in latest gen ERGO levers.

ultraman6970
02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Brake cable at front

Derailleur cable at the back.

GRAVELBIKE
02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Works best if the housing goes behind the handlebars. Cut the ends cleanly, ensure the housing is long enough, use 5mm housing back by the rear derailleur.

That is correct, NO ferrules in latest gen ERGO levers.

Cool, much appreciated.

In my case, rear derailleur is this mutant:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7058/6859725955_cdbf21c447.jpg

ultraman6970
02-17-2012, 11:46 AM
From what I read it will work just fine.

GRAVELBIKE
02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
From what I read it will work just fine.

They work quite well. I had the same derailleur on a previous bike, and shifting was great. Note that the derailleur in the photo is one that's modified by da Vinci (tandems) to work specifically with 9-speed Shimano/SRAM cassettes.

And if that's not Frankenbike enough, the bike I'm building up will have mini v-brakes and 650B wheels.

Freak flag--I'm flying it.

Ralph
02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
One of the bikes I ride, a Jonathan Greene custom steel (see builder list for Florida builders), has adjustable deraileur stops welded on side of head tube. On that bike, whenever I'm using new housing, I route around the front of the head tube, then cross the cable wires back under the down tube. Gives a really nice large bend in cables. When the cables get a little worn, and I tear the bike down, I shorten housing and cables and run them straight the next time. On this bike, works fine either way. My Cannondale won't work crossing under down tube. Wires rub.

Minstrie
02-19-2012, 02:39 PM
I put them both in front, no probs with mechanics, but I'm no expert.

Hindmost
02-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I tried the crossover once and found that it created a lump that resulted in discomort to the palm of the hand. I undid that routing.

ultraman6970
02-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Are u using a 10 speed campy cassette too by any chance?