PDA

View Full Version : Effort on different gradients during a climb

sellsworth
08-17-2005, 11:43 PM
On a long climb that has a variation in gradient do you:

1. keep a constant effort going regardless of the gradient;
2. go harder on the steeper sections and recover on the flatter sections; or
3. go harder on the flatter sections and kick back a bit on the steeper sections.

I’m in the third category. I don’t seem to have what it takes to do well on the steep gradients so I find myself just passing time on them until the gradient eases up and then I’m motivated to really put in effort. What do you think is the best approach for improving fitness and times? Why?

KevinK
08-18-2005, 12:15 AM
I tend toward #1, but when I'm absolutely fried I'm a #2. I'm a better climber out of the saddle, so the steep is where I shine (and suffer!)

Kevin

ThylacineCycles
08-18-2005, 02:20 AM
Races are won and lost on the hills (So I'm told - I'm the worlds worst racer). Statistically you will lose more time on the climbs than you will make up on the flats/downhills, so you're better off putting in the effort in the steeps, even if you do suck at climbing like me.

As a general rule, I like to stay this side of vomiting and crying for Mommy, regardless of gradient. It's a simple rule, but it's effective :)

Climb01742
08-18-2005, 03:39 AM
maybe you could attack this from two angles: fitness and attitude.

good climbing is, predominately, about fitness, defined by strength to weight ratio. you can get stronger on the flats, where you enjoy riding. maybe do 2x20 intervals (maybe twice a week) on flat or rolling terrain, hard efforts on your big ring. build your strength for 6-8 weeks.

then take this increased strength and attack a hill. know that you're now stronger, fitter. mentally prepare yourself for a full-on :30 or :60 or however long the hill is. getting stronger by riding hills -- for someone who doesn't enjoy climbing -- is hard. it becomes a downward, re-enforcing cycle. versus getting stronger on terrain you enjoy riding, and then transferring that strength, in short bursts, to hills. let your greater physical strength give you the mental confidence to go hard up a hill.

Sandy
08-18-2005, 03:45 AM
So just what makes you such an expert in climbing hills? Bet you never even trained to climb any hills. You ought to try a steep one sometime. :) :)

Mt. Anthill Sandy

William
08-18-2005, 05:01 AM
So just what makes you such an expert in climbing hills? Bet you never even trained to climb any hills. You ought to try a steep one sometime. :) :)

Mt. Anthill Sandy
Yeah, with that kind of talk you'd think he was training to climb Mt. Washington or something. Sheesh! Some people. :rolleyes:

William ;)

Dr. Doofus
08-18-2005, 05:53 AM
get a power meter

see what your habits produce over a long climb

see what cadence and style gives you the most watts over the whole climb

then change as needed

Tom
08-18-2005, 06:24 AM
All around, all meanings.

ergott
08-18-2005, 06:55 AM
Races are won and lost on the hills (So I'm told - I'm the worlds worst racer). Statistically you will lose more time on the climbs than you will make up on the flats/downhills, so you're better off putting in the effort in the steeps, even if you do suck at climbing like me.

As a general rule, I like to stay this side of vomiting and crying for Mommy, regardless of gradient. It's a simple rule, but it's effective :)

Yeah, number 2 stinks like the real number 2, but he's right. Backing off on difficult efforts (climbs, headwinds) is where you lose the most time. The last few weeks I have been laying it down in the headwinds (it's alll we got on LI) and recovering on the tailwinds and my average speeds have gone up.