PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever trade a high value item?

bikerboy337
02-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Looking for any advice on trading a high value item... i've been looking to trade a set of crank arms with someone (175 for 172.5 hollowgram sisl's)... finially found someone in SF that is up for it... question is... how do we protect ourselves... i.e. what if i send mine and he doesn't send his or vice versa... anyone ever do a big item trade and work out a way to ensure that you dont get screwed in the end?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Charles M
02-17-2012, 07:45 AM
You buy from each other...

AngryScientist
02-17-2012, 07:48 AM

i was going to say the same thing. it'll cost you both the fees, but if you go through PP, at least you have a measure of protection.

bikerboy337
02-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Thats pretty much what I figured, I wasn't sure if there was another way people have done it... I've never traded, only bought and sold... i guess if we both just pay for hte item... if he doesn't deliver, I can file a claim with paypal...

Thanks!

rugbysecondrow
02-17-2012, 07:59 AM
I have traded with no issues. I traded a bike straight up with a local guy. I also traded a frameset to a guy on a the forum for his bike.

If you feel comfortable, then go for it. If there is ANY doubt, then say no.

Ramjm_2000
02-17-2012, 08:02 AM

This. Just make sure the amount is reasonable enough that the potential trader doesn't just keep both.

CNY rider
02-17-2012, 09:46 AM
I sent an Ottrott all the way to Europe, and got a Parlee back in exchange.
It all comes down to trust.

LouDeeter
02-17-2012, 09:51 AM
I've traded many times. If you don't trust the other person enough to send yours, then ask him to send his first. If he doesn't trust you, then maybe the deal isn't supposed to happen.

charliedid
02-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Paypal each other $250

Talk on the phone and via email. Request separate photos etc. I'm guessing the third world black market is not scamming bike cranks.

You will know if it's a good deal as long as you communicate.

Good luck, and if you would rather Paypal me the $250 I will gladly pass it along to my friend in SF.

I have done it plenty of times with camera gear.

CaliFly
02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Trades are no different than purchases.

Trust is key, and communication is paramount. You build up enough confidence in each other, and let that drive the deal.

I did a high-dollar deal with *three* emails overseas to someone who barely spoke English. Deal came together without a hitch. Conversely, I had great communication with a seller across the country in which I felt sure the deal was safe....I'm still trying to locate this person two months after sending the money.

Sure, you could use an escrow service, but fraud in that field is on the rise.

Remember, nothing is 100% "done deal" until both parties are satisfied.