PDA

View Full Version : Question for those industrailists out there!

Avispa
02-16-2012, 11:27 AM
I'd like to know if any of you have ideas on where can I have some of these Sidi straps custom made.

This is the problem: The straps that come with the shoes IMO, are a bit short. They should be 2-2.5cm longer or longer even, so that the owner of the shoes could cut them to the length they want them.

Since Sidi is a foreign company, even with my contacts, I have tried sending them the idea, but they are not receptive to this.

So, if you could tell me of what kind of factory would make custom plastic items, perhaps they would do them. I am aware that there may be a quantity issue... Thanks!

yngpunk
02-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Those straps are probably injection molded, so a custom mold would probably have to be created first before you could begin production of the part. As with most things injection molded, quantify is the key.

Another alternative is to try to engage a prototype/mock up type of shop that can create a 3d prototype/mock up of what you're looking for, probably using a CNC machine and starting with a block of plastic. I've seen these shops before, but can't readily recall who does these things. I'll try to do some digging and report back if I find anything.

Alternatively, you could always try to engage a toy factory in China to manufacture the part.

Hope this helps.

jds108
02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Would the straps from a current BONT shoe work? They make theirs in more than one length.

1centaur
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
A question and a comment:

Question - don't the straps go to where the latches are built into the shoe, so extra length would be pointless unless your foot is so rounded on top that they barely reach the latch?

Comment - I bet Sidi don't make those straps, so it would take finding their strap supplier to get custom lengths from "the source."

What does Sidi's US distributor say? Basically you want someone that Sidi will listen to. Brendan at Competitive Cyclist probably sells a lot of Sidis. Maybe Pez knows those guys too.

That ratchet style seems pretty common so there are probably 20 places in the US that can make them. If you knew the name of the process (blow molding?) you'd find it easier to find a company that might do a small run. That said, it seems SO not worth the money for any run size that would work for the maker that I think a more creative solution will end up being the answer.

yngpunk
02-16-2012, 11:47 AM
What you are looking for is a prototype 3D mock up shop. The following is one to look at that might get you started:

www.protomold.com

No affiliation with the above and there are probably many other outfits doing similar things. Key with these outfits is that you need a 3D cad model of what you want to prototype (so they can input it into their machine)

Those straps are probably injection molded, so a custom mold would probably have to be created first before you could begin production of the part. As with most things injection molded, quantify is the key.

Another alternative is to try to engage a prototype/mock up type of shop that can create a 3d prototype/mock up of what you're looking for, probably using a CNC machine and starting with a block of plastic. I've seen these shops before, but can't readily recall who does these things. I'll try to do some digging and report back if I find anything.

Alternatively, you could always try to engage a toy factory in China to manufacture the part.

Hope this helps.

Avispa
02-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Would the straps from a current BONT shoe work? They make theirs in more than one length.

That's one good suggetion... Let me check. You figure, Sidi would have thought of doing this, right?

Avispa
02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Question - don't the straps go to where the latches are built into the shoe, so extra length would be pointless unless your foot is so rounded on top that they barely reach the latch?

Exactly! Especially if one decides to move the "Soft Instep System". They have an "adapter" for people that use insoles or that have high arches. But the adapter is ridiculous, when one just needs a longer strap.

Comment - I bet Sidi don't make those straps, so it would take finding their strap supplier to get custom lengths from "the source."
Yeah I wish I could find the supplier...

What does Sidi's US distributor say?

Nothing, they just offer you the above mentioned adapter and won't even suggest the matter to Sidi in Italy.

MattTuck
02-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Talk to a college mechanical engineering prof.? Maybe one of his students could fabricate the gear you're thinking about in the college's shop, and the student could get extra credit or course credit.

chris7ed
02-16-2012, 12:25 PM
could something be made to move the buckle higher up on the shoe? 1/2" shouldn't change the function of the system too much.

charliedid
02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Try here...found it on this place called the Google :)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/420813388/small_ratchet_buckle_for_bag_shoe.html

AgilisMerlin
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
which model sidi do you have?

newer generation with adjustment on opposite side of buckle ? or older