oldpotatoe
02-15-2012, 05:43 PM
MSRP announced

SuperRecord-Ti spindle-$5455
SuperRecord-steel spindle-$5255

Record-$4500

March-April

Yow-ser

OK now how much is it from those southern UK places?

I'm sure somebody will post it

pavel
02-15-2012, 05:51 PM
holy hell.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-15-2012, 05:51 PM
:eek:

dave thompson
02-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Lessee. if I buy a Super Record EPS, that will leave me $453.78 to get the frameset and cockpit.

EDS
02-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Wow. That is a lot of cabbage.

CaliFly
02-15-2012, 06:01 PM
EEP!

...and nobody around to sponsor an old, fat and slow wannabe racer.

fuzzalow
02-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Five grand seems to be the upper tier the industry is tenderizing us consumers to accept for these state of the art components. Inure them to this price point said the corporate strategists.

So at around this mark, there's a SRM UT Campagnolo wireless, Lightweight Obermeyers or the new EPS. And also any number of carbon frames popped into the market from the latest ProTour molds.

The poseur class of enthusiast is ecstatic.

ergott
02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Is that for the whole group?

What about upgrade kits (shifters. derailleurs, chain, wires, battery etc.)?

54ny77
02-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Mmmm, mmm...ramen never tasted so GOOD! :p

old_fat_and_slow
02-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Wow ! Thanks for the update ! !

I was about to have a nervous breakdown tryin' to figure out how to spend that extra 5.5 grand I got burnin' a hole in my pocket! Now I can get rid of it!

Thanks Old Tater.

Liv2RideHard
02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Oh dear me. Way outta my range...and fine by me.

AngryScientist
02-15-2012, 06:17 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3279/2592732428_a5b275a138.jpg

Peter B
02-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Or you could just shift for yourself.

jr59
02-15-2012, 06:28 PM
My cable shifting is feeling better all the time!

eek! that's some coin!

maunahaole
02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Do those prices include a happy ending?

terry
02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
what's amazing to me is that as steep as those prices are there will be no shortgage of takers.

happycampyer
02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Do those prices include a happy ending?yes, for Campagnolo.

Bob Loblaw
02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
I think I would rather have two complete SR groups.

54ny77
02-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I think I'd rather have two plane tickets and a week in Cabo. :banana:

I think I would rather have two complete SR groups.

tiretrax
02-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Paying for 20 years of development and a faltering economy/sovereign debt.

Jaq
02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
yes, for Campagnolo.

Winnar!

djg
02-15-2012, 07:52 PM
MSRP announced

Record-$4500

March-April

Yow-ser

UK price is supposed to be about 243 bucks.

Just kidding, I have no idea.

The price differentiation is what interests me. I mean, two hundred bucks is two hundred bucks, but I'm dying to know how the sales break down around the $5455/$5255 choice between SR with a Ti spindle and SR with a steel spindle.

Spin71
02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
If people will spend 100 bucks on bar tape, I'm sure they will buy this group.

dave thompson
02-15-2012, 09:35 PM
I think I'd rather have two plane tickets and a week in Cabo. :banana:
I can put you there for a month for less than that!

rounder
02-15-2012, 09:59 PM
MSRP announced

Record-$4500

March-April

Yow-ser

I just checked. Ribble does not seem to be offering it yet. But, you can buy 2012 super record for about $2,000. That is a lot of money, but not nearly so much as electric if you don't mind shifting with your own hands.

Louis
02-15-2012, 10:29 PM
But it's Campy. Don't you want to be one of the cool kids?

FlashUNC
02-15-2012, 11:01 PM
I was toying with the idea of trying EPS. But I think I need to figure out how to unswallow my tongue first.

Holy crap.

Jack Brunk
02-15-2012, 11:07 PM
But it's Campy. Don't you want to be one of the cool kids?
It would look really sweet on your hope to be built soon Kirk. You'd be the coolest dude around St. Louis.

akelman
02-15-2012, 11:08 PM
But I think I need to figure out how to unswallow my tongue first.

Campy sells a tool for that. $479 retail.

dancinkozmo
02-15-2012, 11:55 PM
....the campagnolo "wallet extractor tool" will retail for over $4000...and will be sold only to campag retailers....but it does come in a cool wooden box

Louis
02-16-2012, 01:30 AM
It would look really sweet on your hope to be built soon Kirk. You'd be the coolest dude around St. Louis.

Hmmm, you mean the 9-spd Shimano (w/ DT shifters) I was going to use won't cut it? I might have to reconsider.

gearguywb
02-16-2012, 05:16 AM
Maybe they will offer a "lease to own" :D

Kirk Pacenti
02-16-2012, 05:25 AM
Maybe they will offer a "lease to own" :D

Not a bad idea, all the real money is made in financing!

Elefantino
02-16-2012, 05:51 AM
10-speed Record stuff is looking better all the time. Bought and paid for, shifts perfectly, no shortage of replacement parts.

If any of you plan to switch to EPS from Record 10, remember your friends :D

laupsi
02-16-2012, 07:20 AM
so what does a repo on a bike group look like?

oldpotatoe
02-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Is that for the whole group?

What about upgrade kits (shifters. derailleurs, chain, wires, battery etc.)?

No pricing on that yet. The chain is just a chain, Chorus will work also. No 'EPS' chain.

Lets remember boys and girls that DA Di2 is $4000+ also and I don't think carbon and titanium and ceramic is an answer to anything but when compared to aluminum, steel and steel, it IS more expensive.

sg8357
02-16-2012, 07:28 AM
So when your bike falls over at the donut stop,
how much is the rear mech ?

Saw a Pinarello with EPS for 16k$, so $5500 for parts plus 8K$ for a Chinarello,
what a deal. (wheels 2.5k$). I never knew Campy and Pinarello worked for
the Pentagon.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2012, 07:33 AM
So when your bike falls over at the donut stop,
how much is the rear mech ?

Saw a Pinarello with EPS for 16k$, so $5500 for parts plus 8K$ for a Chinarello,
what a deal. (wheels 2.5k$). I never knew Campy and Pinarello worked for
the Pentagon.

Campagnolo Rear 'mech' has a feature that will disengage it from the motor if the bike falls, so it won't break. Should be asking how much a DA Di2 rear 'mech' is since it doesn't do that...BTW-it's about $800.

And in the apples to apples category, MSRP for SR is about $3100. UK pricing does not the market make nor will this 'wholesale to the public' pricing stay that way. Contracts are coming due in Europe.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-16-2012, 07:39 AM
No pricing on that yet. The chain is just a chain, Chorus will work also. No 'EPS' chain.

Lets remember boys and girls that DA Di2 is $4000+ also and I don't think carbon and titanium and ceramic is an answer to anything but when compared to aluminum, steel and steel, it IS more expensive.

Bought my DA Di2 from Excel for $3,200 a year ago. Still not cheap and would not pay that kind of money again for a group. Nor am I sold on electric. In fact, I have bought two groups since then, both mechanical.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2012, 07:41 AM

Yep, all the noise about the $. $8000 carbon frames, $6000 carbon wheels, $500 jackets, $900 custom shoes, $1000 cranksets, $400 ceramic bearing kits, $1500 power pedals, $4000 power cranks...still gotta pedal the thing....

Mikej
02-16-2012, 08:02 AM
EF Me, good thing I am waaay to broke to even think about it. I am a big fan of the current shift by wire trend....

laupsi
02-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Just put 2011 SR mechanical,(seems weird I have to distinguish) on my new Ottrott; full component package minus the hubs and head set and paid just under $4K retail, full Ti Parts. know I could have gotten it cheaper over the net but I am one of "those" who support my LBS.

any ho, it shifts perfectly, don't know if the upgrade to electronic would have made any improvements, like to think it wouldn't.

67-59
02-16-2012, 08:28 AM
10-speed Record stuff is looking better all the time. Bought and paid for, shifts perfectly, no shortage of replacement parts.

If any of you plan to switch to EPS from Record 10, remember your friends :D

+1

Been using Record 10 on my Kirk since '04, and still love it. Never had problems finding NOS or very good quality replacements - or getting brifters rebuilt - and plan to use it as long as the parts are available.

I'll probably spring for electronic at some point, but it's not likely to be anytime soon....

cfox
02-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Campagnolo Rear 'mech' has a feature that will disengage it from the motor if the bike falls, so it won't break. Should be asking how much a DA Di2 rear 'mech' is since it doesn't do that...BTW-it's about $800.

Di2 has a crash saving feature for the rear mech, too. I quote (some cataloque)

"The derailleur has a built in mechanism that will allow the body to move inward under impact to reduce the potential for damage in the case of a crash. Cycling through the shifting a couple of times allows the shifter and rear derailleur to automatically re-synchronize."

I know someone who dropped their Di2 bike, drive side, the first day she had it (ouch). It worked perfectly afterward, even with a big chunk out of the rear derailleur.

Bob Ross
02-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Lets remember boys and girls that DA Di2 is $4000+

Yeah, I don't get all the belly-aching and eye-rolling and tongue-swallowing in this thread. Di2 was announced what, two years ago? at $4k and basically set the bar for what an electronic gruppo cost. Did anyone really think an ostensibly equivalent gruppo from Campy was gonna cost less?

Those prices are exactly what I was expecting for EPS. Not surprised at all.

I haven't looked at EPS closely at all so I can't honestly say "If I had the money I'd be all over it" ...but since I have looked closely at Di2 and have honestly said "If I had the money I'd be all over it" I see no reason to think EPS won't eventually ellicit the same response.

I've already decided that my very next bike will be (manual) Super Record 11. But I've also already decided that should I ever get yet another bike after that one, it'll have some sort of electronic gruppo. Might be Campy EPS. The money really isn't the dealbreaker to that goal.

benitosan1972
02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Yep, all the noise about the $. $8000 carbon frames, $6000 carbon wheels, $500 jackets, $900 custom shoes, $1000 cranksets, $400 ceramic bearing kits, $1500 power pedals, $4000 power cranks...still gotta pedal the thing....

For that much money, I'd hire Contador to ride my bike & win some Strava KOM's

Joachim
02-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I don't get all the belly-aching and eye-rolling and tongue-swallowing in this thread. Di2 was announced what, two years ago? at $4k and basically set the bar for what an electronic gruppo cost. Did anyone really think an ostensibly equivalent gruppo from Campy was gonna cost less?

Those prices are exactly what I was expecting for EPS. Not surprised at all.

Agree. I do have (partial) SR11 stashed for my Spectrum, but my first project in 2013/2014 will probably get Record EPS. It's all relative. We don't think it's weird to pay a few thousand for a frame. At the same time the guy riding the $300 bike is thinking we are crazy for spending 1300 on a Chorus 11 group.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2012, 09:08 AM
For that much money, I'd hire Contador to ride my bike & win some Strava KOM's

Hire his cook and doctor also.

54ny77
02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
It is a pretty staggering amount of cash, all things considered. Priciest bike I've ever owned still came in a bit less than that. Regardless, I'd be so nervous to own it, paranoid about scuffs or dinging it and so forth. That would take the fun out of it, for me at least.

With "stuff," I always like to follow the adage that being able to afford to buy something is quite different than being able to afford to own it.

For those who do get it though, more power to you and have fun! Let us know how it works. Always enjoy reading about bike stuff. :beer:

gone
02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
As with anything completely new, the initial pricing is set to take advantage of the "gotta have the latest and greatest" buyer but I'll certainly agree the EPS pricing is pretty breathtaking. I'll wait a few years for the Chorus EPS and probably even a while after that for its initial price to come down as it inevitably will.

I will say though that if I were contemplating a "dream bike" a year from now, it'd probably have EPS on it.

SEABREEZE
02-16-2012, 10:12 AM
A fixed sounds good right about now.

I do have both a 10 sp & 11sp on my bikes

akelman
02-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I don't get all the belly-aching and eye-rolling and tongue-swallowing in this thread.

Everyone has pricing thresholds beyond which they swallow their tongue. But of course those thresholds move a bit over time and can shift quite a bit through the years. Which is how I've come to accept that a set of wheels can cost ~$1000 (much more than that, though, and I still need the Campy Tongue Extractor tool). As for comparing these prices to Shimano, I didn't see anyone do that in the thread until Peter brought it up. From my perspective, given that mechanical shifting works so well and these new technologies don't yet have the features that I really want (wireless), both DI2 and EPS are massive and unwarranted expenses. That said, I would never judge anyone else who has the cash and chooses to spend it on these products. Bike-related conspicuous consumption is about as innocuous as it gets in my book (there I go revealing my self-serving prejudices). And if electronic shifting means that a rider enjoys his bike that much more, so be it. Assuming s/he can still pay the mortgage and put food on the table, s/he should go for it.

soulspinner
02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Everyone has pricing thresholds beyond which they swallow their tongue. But of course those thresholds move a bit over time and can shift quite a bit through the years. Which is how I've come to accept that a set of wheels can cost ~$1000 (much more than that, though, and I still need the Campy Tongue Extractor tool). As for comparing these prices to Shimano, I didn't see anyone do that in the thread until Peter brought it up. From my perspective, given that mechanical shifting works so well and these new technologies don't yet have the features that I really want (wireless), both DI2 and EPS are massive and unwarranted expenses. That said, I would never judge anyone else who has the cash and chooses to spend it on these products. Bike-related conspicuous consumption is about as innocuous as it gets in my book (there I go revealing my self-serving prejudices). And if electronic shifting means that a rider enjoys his bike that much more, so be it. Assuming s/he can still pay the mortgage and put food on the table, s/he should go for it.

Someone else telling me how e-shifting works is gonna be the only way Im gonna experience the stuff until its wireless. Then I could see myself on a great ti bike with EPS riding into uber old age.

fatallightning
02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
What did DA Di2 cost when it was fresh on the market? I can't recall.

yngpunk
02-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Someone else telling me how e-shifting works is gonna be the only way Im gonna experience the stuff until its wireless. Then I could see myself on a great ti bike with EPS riding into uber old age.

Once it goes wireless, I can see the conspiracy theorists claiming that competitors are stashing frequency jamming devices (instead of motors) in their seat tubes which would cause you to mis-shift and drop your chain at a critical moment. ;)

Ahneida Ride
02-16-2012, 11:29 AM
My 10 year old Record will become my 25 year old Record.

FlashUNC
02-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Once it goes wireless, I can see the conspiracy theorists claiming that competitors are stashing frequency jamming devices (instead of motors) in their seat tubes which would cause you to mis-shift and drop your chain at a critical moment. ;)

For Mavic Mektronic, that was core feature.

54ny77
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
It was around $4k, +/-, and it was hard to get (depending on who you worked with). Had a couple pals who went thru hoops to get it on their bike initially. At the time your shop better have been in super good graces with their inside sales rep or distributor.

What did DA Di2 cost when it was fresh on the market? I can't recall.

saab2000
02-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm sure they will sell dozens of groupsets at that price. Worldwide.

jmoore
02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Dropping that kind of coin on a groupset is not my cup of tea, but if you got the $$ and want it, then who am I to say no.

fiamme red
02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Dropping that kind of coin on a groupset is not my cup of tea, but if you got the $$ and want it, then who am I to say no.Ed Bazinet will take 100 of them! :)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/in_mad_money_1672grTXvp6heBMunrMaJK

A manic Manhattan multimillionaire went on a wild shopping spree at a Javits Center trade show, buying up $20 million in upscale tchotchkes before landing in a mental hospital.

Cigar-chomping Ed Bazinet, 68, spent four days going from booth to booth at the New York International Gift Fair, stunning vendors as he snatched up everything in sight — from ice- cream scoops to scented sachets to Scandinavian barbecue tools, witnesses told The Post.

The outrageous outlay raised alarms, and Bazinet was hospitalized, friends said yesterday.

Just before the Javits event, Bazinet tore through a Paris trade show and ordered $39.4 million worth of products, sources said.

In New York, Bazinet — who made his fortune selling miniature ceramic villages and porcelain Snow-baby figurines — went row to row, placing product orders ranging from $200,000 to $2 million, vendors said...

jpw
02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
So how much would that be in the German Euro?

jpw
02-16-2012, 02:49 PM

...and how much for a pair of legs that do the doing?

dave thompson
02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
...and how much for a pair of legs that do the doing?
...priceless...

jpw
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
When I think about how often I fall off my bike there's just no way I would ride it with this much k'ching on it. It wouldn't last two years.

Jaq
02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Late chime-in, and sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I think my only real objection - even when the price comes down in a few years - is that EPS and other systems quite possibly will be beyond my ability to maintain and repair.

I'm a big believer in the "what's-your-time-worth" school of doing things, but we all need our hobbies, too, and working on my own bike is something I find satisfying and stress-relieving. How hard is an EPS system, or hydraulic braking, or other advances going to be for the average joe to maintain? I don't think I'd buy into it if my only option when something goes wrong is to pay someone else to fix it.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM

First 500 groups were presold, OEM, next 500 will go to distributors, so they are essentially presold also.

dancinkozmo
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
...sounds like mr. Campagnolo will have no problem making his yacht payments this year

christian
02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
They'll sell dozens at Signature, in like the next 8 weeks. So basically, 9 days until Het Nieuwsblad and about 365 days until I start searching hedgefunddudes.craigslist.org.

Earl Gray
02-16-2012, 05:20 PM

+1

54ny77
02-16-2012, 05:26 PM
and that will be a wonderful thing because its customers will be happy, it'll enable them to stay open for biz and provide for its employees who can in turn provide great service on more mundane things like cutting my fork steerer. p.s. thanks justin!

They'll sell dozens at Signature, in like the next 8 weeks. So basically, 9 days until Het Nieuwsblad and about 365 days until I start searching hedgefunddudes.craigslist.org.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Late chime-in, and sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I think my only real objection - even when the price comes down in a few years - is that EPS and other systems quite possibly will be beyond my ability to maintain and repair.

I'm a big believer in the "what's-your-time-worth" school of doing things, but we all need our hobbies, too, and working on my own bike is something I find satisfying and stress-relieving. How hard is an EPS system, or hydraulic braking, or other advances going to be for the average joe to maintain? I don't think I'd buy into it if my only option when something goes wrong is to pay someone else to fix it.

EPS is easy to set up. Clean your chain, keep air in your tires, once set up, nothing else to really 'do'...pretty easy.

Wet brakes are a whole 'nother thing. As I have mentioned, I have a slew of wet brake specific 'stuff'. EVERY brake is different(even from 1 manufacturer), each has different fittings, lines, pads, juice, bleed kit hardware. Ain't like bleeding the brakes on my '76 VW bus.

dancinkozmo
02-16-2012, 07:40 PM
...im sure setting up eps is a breeze...but what to do when it starts malfunctioning ?

54ny77
02-16-2012, 07:47 PM
call tech support.

http://www.broscience.org/files/2011/07/nerd1.jpg

...im sure setting up eps is a breeze...but what to do when it starts malfunctioning ?

dancinkozmo
02-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Awesome !!

DRietz
02-16-2012, 11:32 PM

Well, Di2 is incredibly easy to maintain. And hydraulic brakes are relatively simple as well.

From the tech talk that Dan gave out here in Cali, I'm fairly confident that it's an easy system to set up, diagnose, and maintain. However, you do kind of lose that whole "Oh this part of my shifter broke, I'm going to fix it" option. I love being able to tear apart my shifters, derailleurs, brakes, and pedals. Makes me feel like a genius.

Litespeed_Mike
03-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Perhaps one of the first groupsets to be spotted for sale in the wild:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Super-Record-Ti-EPS-11sp-Group-set-2012-NEW-Electronic-Power-Shift-/170797658242?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c4557082#ht_9818wt_1142

Just a hair under $4k for the STARTING bid

Ahneida Ride
03-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Not a bad idea, all the real money is made in financing!

or fictional (non) reserve banking ...

10K hotel rooms becomes 100K hotel rooms . :crap:

http://www.opednews.com/populum/uploaded/chart-7471-20081130-6.jpg

Ken Robb
03-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Lessee. if I buy a Super Record EPS, that will leave me $453.78 to get the frameset and cockpit.
I like to have wheels on my bikes too.