PDA

View Full Version : Interesting titanium vs carbon and custom builder comparison

dekindy
02-15-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZMPZ1m9FWI

I saw a reference to Independent Fabrication that prompted me to look at their website and road bike offerings. I noticed that they had a titanium and carbon combination and that their all carbon frame is lugged, both ala Serotta. Wonder which brand came first with these models and designs? Anyway, I degree. I did a Google search for an IF XS review and this came up. Comparison between carbon and titanium, two different custom builders and also mention of Specialized Roubaix and Tarmac. I found it extremely interesting so I thought I would share.

What exactly does he mean by feeling the corners? I am not a racer so I don't know. Could a carbon bike not be designed to give the same feel?

jpw
02-15-2012, 12:55 PM
I saw this video last week. He sells the carbon and keeps the ti.

timto
02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Sounds like he's describing Jan Heine's 'Planing' as to one of the reasons he prefers his ti bike @ 3:29 in the video.

old_fat_and_slow
02-15-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm not certain, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "Alan" was the first frame builder to offer a lugged carbon frame. I think they started in the mid-eighties or so. I think they had carbon tubes with aluminum lugs. Look got into the game pretty early too.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm not certain, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "Alan" was the first frame builder to offer a lugged carbon frame. I think they started in the mid-eighties or so. I think they had carbon tubes with aluminum lugs. Look got into the game pretty early too.

Vitus was in there with a carbon tube/aluminum lugs frame, too.

veloduffer
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Kestrel made the first all-carbon frame in 1986 or so. It was monocque, not lugged.

old_fat_and_slow
02-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Kestrel made the first all-carbon frame in 1986 or so. It was monocque, not lugged.

While I think your statement regarding "all-carbon" frames IS correct, I think several frame companies were dabbling with carbon tubes and metallic lugs prior to Kestrel's monocoque frames. I think even Trek may have had some carbon-tubed bikes before the Kestrels hit the market. But then again, I can't remember what I did yesterday, so my memory of twenty years ago probably ain't that accurate.

Rueda Tropical
02-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Assos mid-70's all carbon bike -turns out the lycra clothing was an unintended by product of this project:

http://ruedatropical.com/2011/04/first-carbon-fiber-bicycle/

fiamme red
02-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Assos mid-70's all carbon bike -turns out the lycra clothing was an unintended by product of this project:

http://ruedatropical.com/2011/04/first-carbon-fiber-bicycle/The Exxon Graftek preceded this Assos bike.

eddief
02-15-2012, 04:02 PM
what the hell does "feel the corners" mean? interesting stuff. i would choose my Roubaix over my steels just about any time. different than the guy in the video, i think my Roubaix is the best at get up and go when i stomp on it. i got 20 years on him and don't do crits. maybe that's why i can't feel the corners.

veloduffer
02-15-2012, 04:08 PM
While I think your statement regarding "all-carbon" frames IS correct, I think several frame companies were dabbling with carbon tubes and metallic lugs prior to Kestrel's monocoque frames. I think even Trek may have had some carbon-tubed bikes before the Kestrels hit the market. But then again, I can't remember what I did yesterday, so my memory of twenty years ago probably ain't that accurate.

I had a Giant Cadex, which was alum lugs with carbon tubes, that may have preceded Trek. I remember Specialized's first attempt, Epic, had some bottom bracket cracking issues; this model was later than the Trek and Giant IIRC.

Bob Loblaw
02-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Vitus did a carbon bike in the mid-80's. Carbon-over-aluminum tubes, aluminum lugs, fork, and stays, all of it held together with epoxy. Miserable handling bike with odd proportions, and not even that light.

BL

bargainguy
02-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Mid-90's Specialized Epic Pro. Not super light, but a sweet ride.

Don

oldpotatoe
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Vitus was in there with a carbon tube/aluminum lugs frame, too.

And TVT, I think the first with carbon.