PDA

View Full Version : Used Factory built, or handbuilt with new/used parts (wheels)

elegant
02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
This probably isn't the first time this question has been asked. But, I couldn't find anything that satisfied me in the search forum tool... So, the title says it vaguely...

I am looking for new (to me) all-around wheels being everyday riding/training, to racing every weekend. Do I buy factory, or do I buy everything separately and have them built?

I may be a little ahead of myself here as I don't really know any quality/professional wheel builders around here, though, I'm sure they exist.

Right now I can get a pair of DA 7850 Scandium wheels for a nice price ($500), and that's (so far) the only factory wheels I have considered. Otherwise, the idea of building them has sounded better and better as I wait to make a decision. So now I am asking all of you. :o

Things to consider: I'm 160lbs, racing often, riding almost every day...

reggiebaseball
02-15-2012, 12:25 PM
You can often get more bang for your buck via hand builts.
However, in this instance you are considering some very nice Shimano wheels at about half price. You did not psecify the model though, there are many wheels built onto the 7850 hubset.

I think you mean the 7850-SL wheelset, right?
These are AWESOME wheels, I own a pair. They are rock solid and stiff under my 220lbs, you are going to love them.

They are trouble free, easy to repair anywhere (though I have never needed it), they are also Road tubeless compatible, which I happen to like,

If you had to buy the Shimano wheels at their $1000 list price then we could discuss hand built options that were more economical, but at $500 I would get the DA in a heartbeat.

cmg
02-15-2012, 01:18 PM
get a breakdown of the components that make up the 7850-SL wheelset. rims, spokes, hubs. then try to match using similar parts. check out Bicycle wheel warehouse, there are others, revolution wheelworks, flit wheels, spinlite etc., etc. Handbuilts will be better.

vqdriver
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
depending on which flavor of the 7850 you're talking about, that's either a good or great deal. but in general, i think you'll find that a lot of people prefer the handbuilt route. i eventually came back to handbuilts after years on factory campy wheels.

as for good builders, they're not too hard to come by. echelon_john, ergott, oldpotatoe, are forumites who come to mind. other than that, there's joe young who's supposed to be really good. there are most definitely others, but a quick forum search will bring up a host of names.

you race a lot and ride daily. are these going to be do it all wheels that you also use on raceday?

jlwdm
02-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Where do you live? You might get some builder suggestions from the forum.

I would like to get some new wheels for two bikes but it is not that easy. It seems like all wheels are trade offs - or maybe they are all pretty good. I would gladly pay more money and get the perfect wheel and get the process over, but it is not like the more expensive wheels are perfect wheels either.

Numerous hub, rim and spoke choices.

We are probably living in a great time for wheels - lots of good pre-builts and lots of good hand-builts. With the internet it is easy to find good things and bad things with all wheels.

I am sure you will get lots of good suggestions. As a Campagnolo guy I will say that Shimano seems to make a lot of good wheels.

Jeff

old_fat_and_slow
02-15-2012, 01:49 PM
You can get a lot of bang for your buck if you go "used" either route.

Big knock against boutique wheels is replacement part prices and availablility. If your new wheels will be primarily "race" wheels, then this is less of a concern.

Custom hand builts let you specify whatever components you want, however depending how exotic your choices of rims, hubs and spokes you specify, the price of handbuilts can exceed many of the boutique factory wheels. On the plus side, usually replacement parts are readily available, and fairly reasonably priced.

As you know most people have multiple wheel sets. The decision is really up to you, and some of the main factors are: (a) price, (b) weight, (c) what their purpose will be, (d) replacement part price/availability, and (e) how strongly you want a particular boutique wheel or specific custom components.

Again, if you can live with used, you'll probably save yourself a lottah dough.

elegant
02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I am located near Philly.

These will be THE wheels I use for everything - racing, training, coffee, etc.. If I went the hand-built route I would have to buy the hubs used to keep the price low(er). Really trying to keep the weight down as well...

Thanks for all of the input. Slowly, but surely making a decision!

bicycletricycle
02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
ultegra hubs are really nice, lace those to just about anything you want (open pro, a23, cxp 23, HED) and have a nice set of reliable, repairable wheels. lower spoke counts can be tough to get a hold of but i think 28 hole is pretty easy to get.

summilux
02-15-2012, 01:59 PM
I went through the same decision making a month ago. It's going to be a financial decision. If you've got about $1K to spend, then handbuilts are probably a better idea than the factory ones in that price range, since bandbuilts will be stiffer and usually lighter. If you are willing to go used, then you can get nice used wheels for less, and much less than $1K. In the end, I went with unused Shamal tubulars that I got here for $850.

cmg
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I am located near Philly.

These will be THE wheels I use for everything - racing, training, coffee, etc.. If I went the hand-built route I would have to buy the hubs used to keep the price low(er). Really trying to keep the weight down as well...

Thanks for all of the input. Slowly, but surely making a decision!

visit the http://www.bikehubstore.com/ Has some of the lowest prices on hubs, spokes and rims. used thier spoke calculator when i ordered spokes from them. built a set of wheels with thier hubs and spokes on a set of rims i had. very affordable.