PDA

View Full Version : Koala Bike Store

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Anyone ever deal with Koala Bike Store, koalastoreonline.com, in the UK? They have something, a complete hardtail I want, very cheap, and cannot find anywhere else.

Positivethinker
02-17-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm an Information Security Manager for the company I work for, and I can absolutely tell you that the Koala Bike Store is a scam. Like you I visited this store in the hopes of scoring a great deal on a bike, but there were too many signs of the the obvious that this was a false front. I've posted my experience on my blog:
http://positivethinker.blogspot.com/2012_02_01_archive.html

bargainguy
02-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Well done, binx! And to think they're trying to exploit a fuzzy creature name to scam people. Not so warm and fuzzy now.

Don

AngryScientist
02-17-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm an Information Security Manager for the company I work for, and I can absolutely tell you that the Koala Bike Store is a scam.

Clue #1: The site overall is very elementary
Clue #2: There are absolutely zero reviews
Clue #3: They list the wrong MSRPs on the bikes
Clue #4: ***The prices they list are simply TOO good to be true***
Clue #5: The domain was only registered less than a month ago (2/1/2012)
Clue #6: Google the address they list and you'll see a residential area.
Clue #7: Nominal number of links when Googled--almost all point you back to their web pages; no related pages on the site
Clue #8: In taking one for the team--on the off chance that it might be legit, I completed an order. Although it DOES appear to use SSL, the domains change on you and no matter what you select you get an error. I subsequently received an e-mail from the proprietor, "Charles Sikes," who states:
we are unable to process all credit cards due to the problem we are currently facing with our credit card processor, our credit card processor developed issues because of large volume of order we are having at the moment due to the ongoing promo we are currently running to all our new and existing customers.

Due to these issues, all customers do make their payments via (Western Union) for all orders below 10 units and Bank Transfer for orders Above 10 units.

Kindly reconfirm your full delivery address and get back to us in order to provide you the Company Western Union details

Uh huh...I should send my payment via Western Union because you're not smart enough to use PayPal? No chance. That pretty well confirms this as a fraud. Send them money and you'll never hear from them again. I guarantee it. Trust your instincts out there...if it looks/sounds/smells like it's too good to be true, it probably is.

<sigh>And for a fleeting moment, there I thought I'd save a bunch on a great road bike! </sigh>

welcome to the forum. very helpful post, thanks. :beer:

slowerthanyou
02-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Best first post ever.

XC_racing
02-18-2012, 03:31 AM
never knew Koala is native to the UK...(not).