PDA

View Full Version : Does your Garmin cadence sensor eat batteries like a Belgian eats frites?

FastforaSlowGuy
02-15-2012, 07:58 AM
I've had my Garmin 500 for a couple years, but only recently broke down and got the speed/cadence sensor. The sensor works beautifully...for about 5 rides. The outage is clearly due to the battery, but I'm baffled why it would burn through batteries so quickly. Anyone else have this happen? I couldn't find any battery life data on Garmin's site.

Nooch
02-15-2012, 08:04 AM
It could just be that the unit you bought was old stock and the battery was shot to begin with.

I haven't had any issues with the battery burning too quickly though. I believe the one I'm using now has been solid for the last year/year and a half..

ergott
02-15-2012, 08:08 AM
I haven't replaced mine yet and it's been a few years. Not due to lack of mileage or crappy weather riding either.

FastforaSlowGuy
02-15-2012, 08:09 AM
I should have said before, but I've now gone through 6 batteries from 3 different battery companies (energizer, duracell and some generic one). If this is not normal, I will get in touch with Garmin.

There isn't some hidden "off" switch somewhere is there? I've never heard of such a thing on a sensor, but I have to do the "stupidity check".

ergott
02-15-2012, 08:17 AM
I think I remember hearing about some units draining batteries. Contact them to see. Garmin will probably take care of you.

dekindy
02-15-2012, 08:17 AM
I did not have a problem with my 305.

steampunk
02-15-2012, 08:23 AM
no, my gsc-10 hasn't been eating batteries. 2+ years. what killed it is that the speed sensor broke. wheel magnet moved during a ride and repeatedly whacked the end of the sensor stalk.

ClutchCargo
02-15-2012, 09:03 AM
No problems here. Ran a 305 for many years, now the 800.
Replace the cadence battery every year or two.

How many times have you had to replace the battery? Could
be an old battery or perhaps the unit is shorting out for some
reason. Like Eric said, call the company; they'll know if this is
a prevalent issue and my experience is they'll help you out if
it is.

Good luck.

leooooo
02-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Two units goin on 3 yrs. Fine so far.

echappist
02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
OP, the brand of battery matters. I had thought that maxwell makes quality stuff, but they don't. Get the engergizer batteries and you should be good

jdhansen63
02-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I've got one on each of my 3 bikes. The batteries seem to last a couple years, but I've had the speed sensor stop working on two of my units. Anyone else with this problem?

russ46
02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I've had a speed/cadence sensor on my 500 for almost a year now & am still on the original battery. I experienced your problem on a Cateye wireless. It ate batteries in cold weather.

velotel
02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
You think Belgians eat frites! Check out the english if you want to see some serious frite eating!

GregL
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
One thing I've noted with the Garmin speed/cadence sensors: make sure to park/store the bike with the wheel and cadence magnets away from the sensor. I believe that if the magnets are in close proximity to the sensors for extended periods, the sensors will stay in transmit mode and drain the battery quickly.

- Greg

tiretrax
02-15-2012, 07:53 PM
One thing I've noted with the Garmin speed/cadence sensors: make sure to park/store the bike with the wheel and cadence magnets away from the sensor. I believe that if the magnets are in close proximity to the sensors for extended periods, the sensors will stay in transmit mode and drain the battery quickly.

- Greg
What I was going to suggest.

I've never had that problem. If the suggestion doesn't work, call Garmin or take it back to the shop where you bought it.

FastforaSlowGuy
02-16-2012, 09:00 AM

- Greg

I'll give that a try with the current battery. If it burns out, it's going back.