PDA

View Full Version : Best reason To Tell the Wife

UKBROOKLYN
02-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Dudes I have just cracked it... After having her add up her various dance lesson and hobby expenses and explaining that a new bike costs less and I get to keep it for years..Nah..

After explaining that a three week ski holiday would cost more and I get to keep the bike for years ...Nah

Wait for it.. what is the one thing she is afraid of.. Yep.. you die and leave her alone.. here it is fellas... Cyclists live three to five years longer than the average Joe.. our hearts are in better shape...

"See honey buying a new bike will encourage me to ride even more and get even fitter.. live longer and look after you ... (yep you knew this was coming) .. so you will be able to continue buying new shoes !!"

Fait a compli

How great it must be for you all to know the genius that is I...

dave thompson
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Very well thought out.

Or you can do as I do; my wife is my riding partner and I keep her bikes running properly. She says either nothing, or "Another bike?" when a large box shows up on the front porch.

slowgoing
02-14-2012, 05:27 PM
So make your wife your riding partner so you can have nice bikes? The Spanish phrase "no vale la pena" comes to mind...

UKBROOKLYN
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Not everyone has the luxury of a partner who rides..wants to ride.. is physically capable of riding.. not everyone WANTS to ride with their partner..

But I figure everyone can enjoy a little levity once in a while..

dave thompson
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
So make your wife your riding partner so you can have nice bikes? The Spanish phrase "no vale la pena" comes to mind...
I'm not quite understanding why you'd say this. She does our ride planning, she's my 'bike secretary', books our air tickets for our Euro trips, rides more miles than I do, does triathlons, she's the one that originally drug me into cycling. Certainly worth it to me. "élla vale su peso en oro"

slowgoing
02-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I think some wives are better for riding with than others...

Frankwurst
02-14-2012, 05:37 PM
My wife would simply reply "You're going to buy what you want. Go fix yourself another big drink." She knows the life insurance is always paid up. :beer:

Bruce K
02-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Dave;

She "drug" you into cycling? :rolleyes: REALLY ?!?!? :D

I just couldn't resist. (with all the LA talk and all)

:banana: :banana:

BK

Idris Icabod
02-14-2012, 05:43 PM
My wife made me read an article in some parents magazine on how to deal with toddler's demands, it covered:

tantrums - usually occurs before the ability to express in words what was required, kids grow out of by about age 3

whining - usually grows out of by about age 5 after corrective behavior, i.e. ignoring

reasoning - pretty much exactly what you are doing to your wife, article says that kids grow out of this by about ages 5-7, never mentioned that guys have to pick this back up when married!

If reasoning is working why not chuck in some tantrums and whining, you'll have an entire fleet of bicycles by the end of the year!

Above is a joke by the way.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-14-2012, 05:44 PM
The life insurance policy I have makes the equities cut the other way for my wife.

jr59
02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
No wife and more than a few really nice bikes! :banana:

Mike748
02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
I'd gladly give half the (insurance) money to have him back!

BumbleBeeDave
02-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Dave;

She "drug" you into cycling? :rolleyes: REALLY ?!?!? :D

I just couldn't resist. (with all the LA talk and all)

:banana: :banana:

BK

Dave's on DRUGS? He kept insisting it was just Tequila! :banana:

BBD

norcalbiker
02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Dudes I have just cracked it... After having her add up her various dance lesson and hobby expenses and explaining that a new bike costs less and I get to keep it for years..Nah..

After explaining that a three week ski holiday would cost more and I get to keep the bike for years ...Nah

Wait for it.. what is the one thing she is afraid of.. Yep.. you die and leave her alone.. here it is fellas... Cyclists live three to five years longer than the average Joe.. our hearts are in better shape...

"See honey buying a new bike will encourage me to ride even more and get even fitter.. live longer and look after you ... (yep you knew this was coming) .. so you will be able to continue buying new shoes !!"

Fait a compli

How great it must be for you all to know the genius that is I...

I don't do any of these.

Whenever I feel the needs for a new bike, I just go ahead and make my day.

For me it's simple.

"IT IS A LOT EASIER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS THAN TO ASK FOR PERMISSION"

ultraman6970
02-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Tell her that riding the bike will make horny and that you will have more stamina. She will make sure that you get the fastest bike in the store :D

elegant
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
I will never marry if I can't find someone that can tolerate my bicycle addiction...

Frankwurst
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM
I will never marry if I can't find someone that can tolerate my bicycle addiction...

32 years ago I had exactly the same attitude only it was more like ...someone that can tolerate ME with ALL of my addictions. She's still here and so are a couple of the bikes. Some of the other addictions have gone away. :beer:

Jaq
02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
If I even broached the subject of a new bike, the Mrs. would look at me and say "Hon, the only fancy carbon comin' into this house is gonna be a rock for this finger right here."

mtechnica
02-14-2012, 09:35 PM
The health excuse doesn't work when you already have 5 road bikes.

UKBROOKLYN
02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
I only have a couple and she understands the need for new shoes and new bags.. Just imagine how much more healthy I would be on the new bike that I want to ride for longer on...

Jeff N.
02-14-2012, 09:42 PM
I think some wives are better for riding with than others...
I ride my wife, sure. But not as much as when in my 30's. She does the riding these days. :)

pdmtong
02-14-2012, 11:06 PM
I ride my wife, sure. But not as much as when in my 30's. She does the riding these days. :)

TMI my man, TMI :)

cat6
02-15-2012, 12:03 AM

:beer:

sc53
02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
OK guys--you remember there are actual WOMEN on this forum, right?
TMI!!! :crap:

Jeff N.
02-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I like to think the women on this forum have a sense of humor, but hey...correct me if I'm wrong.

Jaq
02-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I like to think the women on this forum have a sense of humor.

That, and the patience of saints.

UKBROOKLYN
02-15-2012, 10:48 AM
And if they don't have a sense of humor they WILL correct you.. :)

cmg
02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
don't ask...just tell her what you intend to buy. Then explain how the purchase won't effect the current standard of living. something along lines of buying it with funds from an income tax return. If no funds exist,.... lie. :)

sc53
02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I like to think the women on this forum have a sense of humor, but hey...correct me if I'm wrong.
Nothing wrong with humor, and yes we appreciate it, but some of you take it a *tad* too far.

sg8357
02-15-2012, 02:55 PM
My wife didn't want an engagement ring, she wanted engagement wheels.

Too bad Tiffany doesn't have wheel boxes, Dura-Ace is as shiny as Tiffany.

pjmsj21
02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
During much of my cycling career my wife did not have an interest in riding. We then began spin classes and she (and I) got stronger, which led to her first serious road bike and my making the committment that we ride and finish together or not at all.

Four years later she is buying Chris King wheelsets and suggesting that I move forward on the Bedford that I have been thinking about. My cycling life couldnt be better.

Pat Mc

dream_theater
02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
As a very single 21 year old, this thread is making me depressed. I feel my freedoms slipping between my fingers...

UKBROOKLYN
02-15-2012, 10:33 PM
You are still in with a chance.. just gotta find a cycling girlfriend..

ckamp
02-15-2012, 11:35 PM
This thread did take a turn for the worse..

My wife, with her engagement ring got a brand new Serotta Ti. By giving her a really nice bike likely worth more than a single one of mine, offset all my bikes and made it somehow acceptable to own and still receive many bikes. I haven't really figured it out completely, but it worked.

PS. Spin classes are a great start.

bargainguy
02-15-2012, 11:52 PM
I used to rebuild bikes. Every time I dragged another one to the attic or basement, my wife would give me the stink eye and say, "Are you selling or keeping that one?" Kind of hard to answer keeping if it was a 69cm when I ride a 44cm. Even she knew that I couldn't even reach the pedals on that monster, being a decent enough biker herself.

So I got her a Madone and set it up the way she likes, and that keeps her happy, at least for now. I might have to shoot higher than the Madone someday, who knows.

Don

djg
02-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Tell her that riding the bike will make horny and that you will have more stamina. She will make sure that you get the fastest bike in the store :D

Or nothing at all.

Risky strategy.