PDA

View Full Version : Campy Power Torque Question

don compton
02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I have purchased and installed a new Athena Power Torque crankset. Should I leave the spring on the drive side bb cup in it's spot? By the way, the quality of the new Athena crankset is right there with my old Record 10sp cranksets.
Don

oldpotatoe
02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
I have purchased and installed a new Athena Power Torque crankset. Should I leave the spring on the drive side bb cup in it's spot? By the way, the quality of the new Athena crankset is right there with my old Record 10sp cranksets.
Don

Yep, install that clip and then leave it there.

Yep, they are very nice.

don compton
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Yep, install that clip and then leave it there.

Yep, they are very nice.
Thanks for your help.
Don

wasfast
02-14-2012, 07:56 PM
It's function appeared to just be an aid for installing the cranks and I left mine off after a while. Others recommend the same.

What happened though was bearings would go bad in 4-5 months. I finally reinstalled the clip and no issue in 1 1/2 years. It would seem to limit the side load on the bearing inner...just a guess.

don compton
02-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Question: why all the hate for Power Torque?

harryblack
02-15-2012, 12:09 AM
crank removal is legit gripe for non-DIY home mechanics.

also you get knuckleheads who've never engineered a thing in their lives going on how PT is "vastly" inferior its design is to UT... vastly? really? bet a cool $10,000 (which I don't have) none of these people could tell the difference RIDING in a blindfold test (except that the PT versions of UT models are-- what-- 100 or so grams lighter?)

AngryScientist
02-15-2012, 06:22 AM

you cant pull the crank without a puller, which may or may not be a big deal to you.

most of the complaints about powertorque vs. ultratorque are in relation to the shifters. UT stuff lets you dump multiple cogs with the thumb button, PT, only one at a time. not a big deal in it's own right, but campy dumbed down what was a fine system to start with the creation of PT. the ability to shift multiple cogs with a single lever push is indeed very nice, and handy, one of my favorite campy features.

as far as the crankset is concerned, i agree that you wont notice any operational differences between PT and UT, until it comes time to pull the crank. I dont think we have any real data yet on which bearing set lasts longer, likely about the same for the two of them. Admittedly i dont own any PT cranksets, and doubt i ever will.

oldpotatoe
02-15-2012, 07:41 AM
you cant pull the crank without a puller, which may or may not be a big deal to you.

most of the complaints about powertorque vs. ultratorque are in relation to the shifters. UT stuff lets you dump multiple cogs with the thumb button, PT, only one at a time. not a big deal in it's own right, but campy dumbed down what was a fine system to start with the creation of PT. the ability to shift multiple cogs with a single lever push is indeed very nice, and handy, one of my favorite campy features.

as far as the crankset is concerned, i agree that you wont notice any operational differences between PT and UT, until it comes time to pull the crank. I dont think we have any real data yet on which bearing set lasts longer, likely about the same for the two of them. Admittedly i dont own any PT cranksets, and doubt i ever will.

You couldn't pull a square taper crank w/o a 'puller'.

Lower range was converted to Powershift for OEM, more simple system. I doubt anybody is losing that sprint cuz he has PowerShift instead of Ultrashift. BUT if ya gotta have Ultrashift, get your 11s Athena system with Chorus levers...

PT cranks work well, aren't expensive, are easy to install and with a $20 puller, it's easy to pull a crank off. The bearings either on the crank spindle(PT) or in the LH cup)PT) are the same bearings..longevity will be the same.

oldpotatoe
02-15-2012, 07:44 AM
It's function appeared to just be an aid for installing the cranks and I left mine off after a while. Others recommend the same.

What happened though was bearings would go bad in 4-5 months. I finally reinstalled the clip and no issue in 1 1/2 years. It would seem to limit the side load on the bearing inner...just a guess.

'Others recommend the same'???

I see cranks all the time that have been installed w/o crank bolt washers...Octalink, square taper...sorry, don't get it. Those, like the clip, are there to be installed, no place in the instructions does it say to install the arm then take the clip off...not very heavy, no big impact on aerodynamics..leave it in.