PDA

View Full Version : OT Section? Love it or HATE it? A poll!

BumbleBeeDave
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
This is so exciting! WHAT will be the will of the people? :banana:

BBD

dave thompson
02-14-2012, 04:45 PM
[X]Needs a Tequila® forum!

William
02-14-2012, 04:46 PM
[X]Needs a Tequila® forum!

Convince me! You know my address. :D

William

godfrey1112000
02-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Great place to put it

Steve in SLO
02-14-2012, 07:16 PM
I haven't even seen it and I hate it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kiddin'...bring it on!

AngryScientist
02-14-2012, 07:19 PM
IMO - didnt need a seperate section before, and dont need one now

firerescuefin
02-14-2012, 07:20 PM

Agreed...although I like a bunch of the other suggestions

Jason E
02-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Agreed...although I like a bunch of the other suggestions

Agreed, too. I like it when they mix in. That's just me.

I would like the bikes section to be a brand per thread... I always liked that over on V-Salon... All the Peg's in one thread, all the IF's, all the Serotta's... It makes it about the bikes not the owners, and also limits the threads and makes it easy to find as many samples of brand X in one spot.

Big fan of that, not OT separation.

Jaq
02-14-2012, 07:52 PM
OT is a gateway forum.

Then there'll be a components forum, a tire forum, a doping forum, a podium girls forum, and just when it looks like we've hit rock bottom, someone will suggest a politics forum.

Remember the Golden Rule: Less is more.

William
02-14-2012, 08:02 PM
JMO,

I think it boils down to those who view this place as a "Bike Forum", and those who think it's a "Bike centric community". When we've come together to ride, we don't only talk about bikes. Bikes are the theme that brought us together, but it's when we share our individual expertise and life experiences that the bonding takes place. Some folks originally come here for the bike content, but then they see an OT thread on a topic that they may know or have particular expertise in and they are motivated to jump in and share. If they were separate there is a good chance they may not have even checked in it. I think it's what ends up drawing many folks in, the camaraderie of sharing that goes on. I would hate to see that diminish by separating things.

William

nighthawk
02-14-2012, 08:02 PM
You can only vote if you donate!

:p

Elefantino
02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
This is so exciting! WHAT will be the will of the people? :banana:

BBD
"The will of the people"?

That's democracy and only belongs in a politics forum.

This is a dictatorship. Mod rule!

eddief
02-14-2012, 08:13 PM
then the complainers will say, "please get rid of the OT forum, i only want this to be a cycling forum...but i can't keep myself from opening up that section to find out what is being discussed there. please, please, don't tempt me."

seems like at this time, the "sunlight" shined on OT threads in the general section has kept it from getting too whacky, political, or religious.

let's live dangerously and see what happens. you guys have control and turn it off or not at your mature discretion.

oh yeah. one rule. no discussion about vintage acura integras.

Liv2RideHard
02-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Granted I am a noob here (just discovered y'all...I know...what planet have I been on), but one of the things that keeps me coming back is the simplicity. With RBR, too many subforums, too much going on. I am really diggin this community. What about allowing us to "like" someones reply to a thread? There have been times someone has cracked me up and I don't want to quote I would rather be able to simply "like" it. Just an idea. Thanks!

Dave B
02-14-2012, 08:19 PM
I voted yes as I have begun several of those threads. Yes this USA cycling forum, but so many of you have tons of experience that we all benefit from. If folks don't get their undies in a twist when we carry on about things beyond cycling then no we don't need a separate section.

I know this place is about cycling, but as many of you I have been here for a few years and love to read different points of view regardless of cycling.

That is my take. I like to learn from folks here, I hope my knowledge seeking from others would be welcome here.

Anyway just thoughts.

fiamme red
02-14-2012, 08:20 PM
oh yeah. one rule. no discussion about vintage acura integras.We need a "Help Louis Buy a New Car" subforum! ;)

dekindy
02-14-2012, 08:33 PM
I am not sure I understand the question. If we say no does that mean we will have to view them in the general discussion section? I was hoping it meant either a separate OT section or no OT at all anywhere.

Ahneida Ride
02-14-2012, 08:51 PM
"The will of the people"?

That's democracy and only belongs in a politics forum.

This is a dictatorship. Mod rule!

It's more of an Oligarchy. :banana:

fourflys
02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
I couldn't really care less... although I didn't think the OT posts in the regular forum were distracting...

Louis
02-14-2012, 09:36 PM
oh yeah. one rule. no discussion about vintage acura integras.

Did I hear someone say "Integra"? (GVEM)

================================================== ======

We need a "Help Louis Buy a New Car" subforum! ;)

OK with me, as long as we don't also have a "Help Louis build up the Kirk" sister-forum. ;)

dave thompson
02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
.................................................. ...............................
OK with me, as long as we don't also have a "Help Louis build up the Kirk" sister-forum. ;)
So, Louis, did you build up the Kirk yet?

Louis
02-14-2012, 10:09 PM
So, Louis, did you build up the Kirk yet?

I'm waiting for the sub-forum, so I can share my progress every step of the way. :bike:

dave thompson
02-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm waiting for the sub-forum, so I can share my progress every step of the way. :bike:
Good. Make sure you post the torque values of each fitting down to the nearest .0001NM. Please.

gdw
02-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Can we add an OT classified too. I have a low mileage 95 Acura Integra GSR which I'd like to list and see if Louis bites?

Louis
02-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Can we add an OT classified too. I have a low mileage 95 Acura Integra GSR which I'd like to list and see if Louis bites?

PM sent. :p

After grad-school I sold my '73 Maverick and bought a lowish mileage '70 Impala. All my friends said "Now that you have a job you're supposed to buy a newer, not an older car..."

The Impala trunk could take my 62cm Trek 400 with the front wheel still on.

Mr. Squirrel
02-14-2012, 10:36 PM
may we have a separate area for wheels? wheels and nuts? wheels, nuts, and home addresses?

mr. squirrel

DRZRM
02-15-2012, 04:01 AM
I say we leave OT posts in the regular section, they get more eyes on them here and I think an OT section supports people dumping every "interesting" link they come across. So I'd leave things as they are, but I don't feel strongly about it and would also be happy to see the results of an OT section if that's the way you guys chose to go.

hookookadoo
02-15-2012, 06:59 AM

+1

I like OT but not sure deserving of a separate section. Like stew I like it blended in with everything else. However, moving on to the classifieds, I'd love to separate the WTBs from the FSs.

victoryfactory
02-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Dear mods;

Please don't' split up the forum. The OT stuff is the spice.
If an individual doesn't want to participate in a thread, they can
choose not to, whether OT or bike related.

You are also putting an additional burden on yourselves as mods. You will now
find yourselves in the policing business of deciding on a thread by thread basis
what is or is not OT:

"I was riding my bike the other day and it occurred to me that my favorite
after ride beer is Schnuffenhammer Dark......"

This is a community, a family. Let us discuss everything in one place, within the
rules of good manners.

That fracturing into sub forums is what looses the family vibe.

VF

victoryfactory
02-15-2012, 07:26 AM
+1

However, moving on to the classifieds, I'd love to separate the WTBs from the FSs.

I like that idea. Maybe there is a way to alphabetize within date order?

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Dear mods;

Please don't' split up the forum. The OT stuff is the spice.

VF

This is the best description.

maxdog
02-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Whats the difference. Keith, please post more surfing shots. What a great sport! The Endless Summer, still one of the great documentary films of all time.

DreaminJohn
02-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Please don't split out the OTs.

File me under the "if you don't like 'em, don't read 'em" group.

rbtmcardle
02-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Less is more.. just leave the OT posts in the general section.. thanks for the opportunity to vote though

Keith A
02-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Whats the difference. Keith, please post more surfing shots. What a great sport! The Endless Summer, still one of the great documentary films of all time.Love that movie. Well the surf is pretty small this morning, but he's a nice shot of a real local surfing. Click on the link below for a bigger picture.

http://brevardsurfreport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/DSCF7903-520x391.jpg

Bigger picture is here (http://brevardsurfreport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/DSCF7903.jpg)

BumbleBeeDave
02-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Have you ever surfed the Thames? I hear the waves are pretty good . . . :eek:

BBD

Keith A
02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Have you ever surfed the Thames? I hear the waves are pretty good . . . :eek:

BBDNot me, but it has been done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKeAn6Y8JE

dyerwolf
02-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Imho- brevity is a virtue and the sheer simplicity of this online community forum is what keeps me engaged. In fact as a long time lurker it is what has slowly gotten me to become more and more participatory.

old_fat_and_slow
02-15-2012, 01:34 PM
may we have a separate area for wheels? wheels and nuts? wheels, nuts, and home addresses?

mr. squirrel

Yes, please post your address Mr. Squirrel, so I can come over and give you that 12-gauge hot-lead enema I've been promising you for a while now!

Rotten little vermin.

victoryfactory
02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Some of this stuff should be in the OT section!

VF

2LeftCleats
02-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Let's keep everything together as it has been. One less click.

tiretrax
02-15-2012, 07:31 PM
If you're going to create a new selection, I suggest one for Custom Frame Builders - a list with hot links to their sites (if they have one).

OT never bothered me. If I am not intersted in the subject, I don't open it.

MartyE
02-15-2012, 09:23 PM
as mentioned OT section can be a pita for the mods.
Leave it all here.

1happygirl
02-17-2012, 10:10 AM
think this is the same poll that was conducted less than 1 year ago WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE WILL BE THE SAME results. OT or other micro-sectioning of topics (to me) makes the website cluttered and causes you to miss threads you might otherwise see.
Just my 2 centavos.

PS+1 million to increased the PM message count to 300.

Ken Robb
02-20-2012, 11:25 AM
"The Tribe has Spoken!"

Keith A
02-22-2012, 11:16 AM
"The Tribe has Spoken!"And so it looks like the OT section is a no go. Thanks for everyone's input on this issue.

PQJ
02-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Well, it all depends on what the mission of this place is. VSalon's is clearly defined and in that context its OT section makes sense. The Paceline's raison d'etre is different - in fact, I'd say I'm not even sure what it is, now that Serotta is no longer involved. If the intent is to keep it as 'mostly cycling related,' then OT makes sense. However, it seems as if most (or at least a majority or a good number) of the threads here have little or not much to do with cycling or are only tangentially related; if this is true, the OT section is likely to get and see most of the action, along with the classifieds, to the point where the 'general' section would be mostly boring or mostly useless.

Just my SAR 0.0750065 (at today's exchange rate).

fiamme red
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Well, it all depends on what the mission of this place is. VSalon's is clearly defined and in that context its OT section makes sense.What's VSalon's mission?

PQJ
02-22-2012, 01:14 PM
What's VSalon's mission?

Framebuilder collective?

firerescuefin
02-22-2012, 01:17 PM
What's VSalon's mission?

"Dear gawd, pwease make me a bird......so I can fly far away" ;)

BumbleBeeDave
02-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Well, it all depends on what the mission of this place is. VSalon's is clearly defined and in that context its OT section makes sense. The Paceline's raison d'etre is different - in fact, I'd say I'm not even sure what it is, now that Serotta is no longer involved. If the intent is to keep it as 'mostly cycling related,' then OT makes sense. However, it seems as if most (or at least a majority or a good number) of the threads here have little or not much to do with cycling or are only tangentially related; if this is true, the OT section is likely to get and see most of the action, along with the classifieds, to the point where the 'general' section would be mostly boring or mostly useless.

Just my SAR 0.0750065 (at today's exchange rate).

Here's what it is according to the User Agreement. Does it need to be any more highminded than this? It would be easy to get too pretentious . . .

BBD

-------------------------

• For viewing and browsing or for posting civil discussions by cycling enthusiasts about almost any cycling-related topic, whether products, history, lore, events, bike fit or physical fitness, the riding experience, etc.

• To discuss a variety of “off topic” non-cycling subjects within the bounds of usefulness and good taste as determined by the moderators.

• A marketplace for the sale of cycling products by Paceline forum members.

PQJ
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Here's what it is according to the User Agreement. Does it need to be any more highminded than this? It would be easy to get too pretentious . . .

BBD

-------------------------

• For viewing and browsing or for posting civil discussions by cycling enthusiasts about almost any cycling-related topic, whether products, history, lore, events, bike fit or physical fitness, the riding experience, etc.

• To discuss a variety of “off topic” non-cycling subjects within the bounds of usefulness and good taste as determined by the moderators.

• A marketplace for the sale of cycling products by Paceline forum members.

No, that about does it and OT would be unnecessary. I guess my broader point was that most (>50%) threads here seem (to me at least) to be OT anyway, so I wasn't sure what an OT section would achieve.