PDA

View Full Version : Secret drink mix??

Alan
02-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Anyone tried Allen Lim's mix? I was thinking about trying it. See:

http://www.skratchlabs.com/

I have used a lot of products mostly positively and most recently the GU electrolite brew which is usually cheap at Performance. I have used many other products and they all seem to work fairly similarly especially those w all carbs and no protein. Sometimes I supplement w Nuun when it is hot and I need electrolytes.

Thanks,

Alan

mtb_frk
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
I have been thinking about trying it as well. I am type 1 diabetic so I am always looking to try some new things to see if they work any better for me.

Riders120
02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
I've been using it since the fall. Raced a whole season of cross drinking it. I could only get orange and I'm not an orange drink fan at all. Yet this was much better than anything I've tried before. Great taste low cal and easy on your stomach. Plus doesn't gunk ip your ride.

crownjewelwl
02-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Shots of jack probably does more!!

Jeffie
02-14-2012, 06:17 PM
I used it the early part of last year (raspberry) and liked it. After running out I tried First Endurance EFS, which I found VERY similar, easier to get, and a little cheaper.

pitcrew
02-14-2012, 06:29 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about "Sh*t cyclists say" on Youtube....

"You got any of that secret drink mix"?

cat6
02-14-2012, 07:52 PM

YeeeeeeHawwww! :banana:

Kevan
02-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Most energy drinks are simply damn nasty. I've taken to a water/cranapple juice blend. My stomach seems to tolerate that better.

Unpredictable
02-15-2012, 06:52 AM
I have been using the lemon lime and really liking it. When I placed my order, they sent me a single use packet of all the flavors....all of them are great. Its goes down real easy and does not feel goofy on my GI. A winner to me

Joachim
02-15-2012, 08:45 AM
I've been developing an endurance drink mix myself and it's been through the initial testing phase by a few racers. Next up will be getting some feedback from other cyclists. Keep your eyes peeled for a request for testers!

tiretrax
02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Before I got to your post, I was wondering how it mixed with Vodka. Jack - that's genius!

jmoore
02-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Plain old Cytomax works best for me. Before that I used a product called G-Push. It was by far the best stuff I've ever used. Unfortunately they went out of business. I was working at a nutritional supplement company at the time and they were developing a sports drink. I BEGGED them to go buy the formula from G-Push but they were having none of it. Our "product scientists" knew better than some IT dork. The product they came up with was awful and was pulled from the catalog after 6 months.

Boeriboy
02-15-2012, 10:51 PM
I haven't used secret drink mix. However it is not the same as EFS is 96Cal per 12oz whereas Allen Lim's mix is 80Cal per 16oz. Thus the solution for EFS is 50% higher (probably around 6-8%), this means that the osmolality is too high to absorb as fast as possible since it will be above what blood is.

I've been using a combination of plan old gatorade (at half strength) with lots of extra electrolytes added. I have tried almost everything and this has worked the best but not perfect, but it is a pain to make consistently and I really don't like added colors or, so called, 'natural' flavor added to anything I ingest.

I'd love to hear more of what people are using (if it works) especially anyone that has used secret drink mix

UKBROOKLYN
02-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Tried em all.. hate the after taste and the nasty belly feeling.. I have settled on a three way mix of OJ - Coconut Water and Plain ole H20. Sometimes a higher ratio of water.. Theres tons o good stuff in coconut water and the sugar from the OJ gives you a bit of a lift..

Elefantino
02-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Does anyone still use just water, maybe with some electrolyte tabs or just SportLegs?

mnoble485
02-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Does anyone still use just water, maybe with some electrolyte tabs or just SportLegs?

E man, what is in those SportLegs? My LBS guy says they are the best plecebo he has ever taken, I agree. They are the bomb.

Mike

Elefantino
02-16-2012, 06:33 AM
E man, what is in those SportLegs? My LBS guy says they are the best plecebo he has ever taken, I agree. They are the bomb.
Calcium lactate, magnesium lactate.

I haven't had burn since I began taking them about six years ago. If they are a placebo, they're worth it, at least to me.

fschillaci
02-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Used it for a couple of weeks. No issues. Easier to drink than Cytomax.

old_fat_and_slow
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I've been developing an endurance drink mix myself and it's been through the initial testing phase by a few racers. Next up will be getting some feedback from other cyclists. Keep your eyes peeled for a request for testers!

I'm in. Where do I sign up?

Joachim
02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm in. Where do I sign up?

So far we have successfully tested it during racing and training on both normal and eh..sensitive stomachs. Currently, we only have two flavors, Fruit punch and a Tropical fruit punch. Adjusting the flavor concentration proved a lot of work (ie what tastes fine sitting down, tastes a lot different during exercise). If you are interested PM me with your cycling background/current riding. We will probably look for about 10 people from all cycling backgrounds to try the product out before we move on to the next step.

CharlieG
02-17-2012, 07:17 PM
A buddy of mine who rides a TON swears by the stuff- he'd had stomach problems with every other drink and now swears by the secret drink mix, or I guess it's called Skratch Labs now?

He was after me to try it for months so I finally got some. My stomach has never been a huge problem, except on really long rides andI haven't done anything over a few hours with it yet, so I don't know for sure if it will fix that problem, but it tastes really good. Looking forward to getting some longer rides in to see if my stomach does better with it. So far so good though.

Charlie G.