PDA

View Full Version : Zero Gravity Calipers and carbon vs. alloy braking surfaces

jimsantos
02-14-2012, 02:58 PM
I had a pair of Zero Gravity brakes on my bike previously, set up with Yellow Swiss Stops on a Zipp 202 carbon rim. Braking wasn't very strong, but fit my needs for the most part.

A couple steep downhill panic stops later, and off they went. I replaced them with Mavic SSCs and swapped wheels for Chorus/Open Pros and the braking improved dramatically. I now have plenty of surplus stopping ability, even for long steep downhills.

My question is - will an alloy braking surface (Kinlin XR 200s) provide more friction than the carbon (Zipp 202s)? If so, I'm contemplating switching back to the Zero Gs and Kool Stop pads. Thoughts?

Thanks!

firerescuefin
02-14-2012, 03:49 PM
I've run 0gs for awhile and recently sent them back to be gone through/updated. Carbon is never going to be great in the wet, although Eric (Ergott) has said that new Enve system wheels are the best he has come across, and work surpsingly well

Swiss Stop Yellows are not great carbon pads anymore. As guys like Pez haave mentioned, the new pads from Reynolds and Enve seem to work much better. Zipp recommends their Tangente (synthetic cork), Black (carbon specific), or Swisstop Yellows. I've used the reynolds blue pads on my 606's down long descents in Co with great results..and have no problem with stopping power.

jimsantos
02-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Good to know that they've made improvements in carbon surfaces/pads! One day I'll build up enough $$/justification to go back to carbon wheels and I'll definitely be giving Enve or Reynolds a try.

I suppose I should have clarified my intended use. I no longer own the Zipps, and don't really see myself going back to carbon tubulars given the avg road conditions around here (San Francisco).

The comparison I was looking to make was:
- Zipp 202s + Zero Gravity + Swiss Stop Yellows (too weak)
- Open Pro + Mavic SSC + Kool Stop (surplus power)

Proposed setup:
- Kinlin + Zero G + Kool Stop (right in the middle?)

I assume my proposed setup will have more grab on my Kinlins vs. Yellows on the Zipps? Did some research since my post and it seems like that's the general consensus.

Basically, I'm tempted to go back to Zero G, as long as they'll have more grip than the last time I tried them on my Zipps.

Charles M
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
you're not changing braking power... That's the constant in your calc's.

This is about rims and pads only.

Unless you ran wide 202's and left the brakes open instead of properly adjusting them... In which case you change the geo of the brakes and their power curve.

Even then this is still more about 4 variables versus 1 brake set adjusted properly or not.

Kontact
02-14-2012, 10:49 PM
At least some Zero G's do not adapt well to the current generation of wide carbon rims. They don't spread wide and the cam isn't going to give you the power in the normal spot.

But with reasonable width rims and good pads, it shouldn't be an issue.