PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2012 Honda CR-V vs 2012 Subaru Impreza (not WRX) vs 2013 Mazda CX-5

scho74
02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
So the wife and I will soon be a family of 3 :hello: , and now we're going to have to add a "family" vehicle since our Accord coupe just won't cut it. I've narrowed our selection down to those 3 vehicles, and just wanted some opinions on all of them. I don't want to hear other vehicles thrown into mix...just those 3. Any thoughts would be great!

I'm leaning towards the CX-5 because it's roomier than the Impreza and sportier than both the CR-V and Impreza. Looking for a new car is way less fun than looking for a new bike.

killacks
02-14-2012, 12:02 PM
We're been a new family of three for the past year and a half... great stuff.

Anyhow, our Accord coupe family-mobile is totally cutting it, although it'd be nice to have four doors.

On a side note, lifting that infant baby seat in/out of the backseat works all the in-between muscles you never realized you needed.

:beer:

oldguy00
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I've been looking at the CRV and CX5 as well.
The CRV gets the nod in terms of proven reliability and seems to retain its value.
The Mazda looks to come in a bit less expensive, and the fuel economy looks great on it.
I'm waiting to see one in person..

slowgoing
02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
If you get a CR-V, it will still be working when your kid gets his/her license.

We have a 2004 Acura MDX purchased in 2003. My eight year old son helped pick the color. Now he drives it to school, the plan is for him to use it through college. Not a thing wrong with it over the years other than a few hit-from-behind fender benders.

biker72
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
If you get a CR-V, it will still be working when your kid gets his/her license.
+1
I have a 2008 CR-V.
What's really funny is when the dealership tries to sell you an extended warranty to one of the most reliable vehicles being sold today.. :)

eddief
02-14-2012, 12:52 PM
but they just voted the Sub best compact:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/subaru-impreza-wins-2012-motorweek-drivers-choice-award-for-best-compact-car-138961189.html

"The 2012 Impreza offers the highest fuel economy of any all-wheel drive car in America, with EPA ratings of 27 mpg city and 36 mpg highway for models with the CVT."

made me want one.

sg8357
02-14-2012, 01:59 PM
but they just voted the Sub best compact:

That's a Vermont paper, only Vermonters or their designees are allowed to drive Subarus.
If you let your child drive a Subaru they are destined to become a shiftless rally driver,
learn Finnish and end up a reindeer herder or a Vermont B&B owner.
Buy the Honda, save your children from a life of sin and degradation. :)

tuxbailey
02-14-2012, 02:03 PM
+1
I have a 2008 CR-V.
What's really funny is when the dealership tries to sell you an extended warranty to one of the most reliable vehicles being sold today.. :)

I have a 2008 as well and it is very nice. I did get the Honda Care extended warranty but not from the dealership. It is inexpensive for the terms and comes with roadside assistance.

Louis
02-14-2012, 02:12 PM
What kind of gas mileage are they projecting for the CX-5 ?

eddief
02-14-2012, 02:19 PM
can't wait to see the photos of you, the Sub, and Kirk.

What kind of gas mileage are they projecting for the CX-5 ?

scho74
02-14-2012, 02:42 PM
thanks for the feedback all!

the impreza is indeed a cool little car with great gas mileage but the low hp (148) of that and the cx-5 (155) is a little disconcerting. although the cx-5 has a decent 0-60 time in the mid 8's and the impreza is mid 9's.

mpg for the cx-5 is 26/32 which is middle of the pack but i really like the looks of it the most as well.

reliability is always good and it looks like the impreza and cr-v are pretty damn good cars. luckily we have some time to think about all of this and i sure as hell would like to test drive them all!

Louis
02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
can't wait to see the photos of you, the Sub, and Kirk.

On Sunday even my father was giving me a hard time: "Whatever happened to that really nice bike you bought last year?"

Back on topic:

Scho, the Impreza (non-WRX) is also on my list to consider for my next car. If I drive it and find that performance-wise it's a dog, then I'm leaning toward the Mazda 3 hatch. Farther down the list are the Scion tC and VW Golf. I'm single, with no kids, so 2-dr is fine (actually preferred).

Good luck with your decision.

Ralph
02-14-2012, 03:39 PM
There are a lot of nice vehicles out there. Depending on your needs and "taste", you'll figure it out. I will say one thing about a Honda. If you keep it nice, in 6-8 years (or more), it will likely be worth several thousand more dollars than the others. Something to consider. That really lowers cost of ownership.

My daughter has a nice garage kept low mileage 2000 Honda Accord EX. I'm amazed how much money that thing will still bring (about $7000 and dalership would get even more). Thousands more than similar vehicles sold in 2000.

jghall
02-14-2012, 03:58 PM
All 3 are good choices. Personally, another vote for the CRV. Great car(suv), nice ride, great reliabilty, and great resale value.

Dan Le foot
02-14-2012, 06:00 PM
We just sold our 2003 CRV. Never had a problem.
Two bikes go in the back with the front wheels off. That was a must have for us.
Great car at a greater value based on the price and resale.
Dan

edl
02-15-2012, 08:30 PM
If you plan to keep this car for a long time, it's an easy choice - CR-V all the way.

rice rocket
02-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't expect anything less than 200k miles and 15 years from most modern cars nowadays...

The Subaru is a pretty good value. My g/f is looking at one, for a base price of $18k, you get A LOT.

My '98 CR-V is still alive and kicking, there's a few problems with it (transmission needs new solenoids, and I blew my headgasket that I've refused to replace until it's warmer out), but I made a few modifications...like a supercharger. :D

Louis
02-16-2012, 01:52 AM
The CR-V gas mileage is better than I seem to remember. About 30 or 31 mpg, depending on model. Maybe I should add it to my list of options.

How do they handle?

rwsaunders
02-16-2012, 06:16 AM
The CR-V gas mileage is better than I seem to remember. About 30 or 31 mpg, depending on model.

22 mpg in the city with the awd.....my Oddysey averages 20 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway with 5 people in it. I never could understand how the CRV didn't fare better, given that you're comparing a four to a six cylinder, with a decent hp difference. Load it up with features and you're approaching the price of a loaded Oddysey too. Decent car, though.

AngryScientist
02-16-2012, 06:24 AM
I never could understand how the CRV didn't fare better...

SUV ish things almost never do better in the mpg category. larger, meatier tires, combined with a higher stance and worse overall aero profile kill them.

bargainguy
02-16-2012, 10:37 AM
The CR-V is great, but I settled on the 3/4 size version Honda Fit.

Great mileage (35-40 with stick), excellent handling, and I can stuff 5 bikes in the back with front wheels removed.

But as Scotty says, "Cap'n, she ain'ta gotta no power."

Don

Ralph
02-16-2012, 11:29 AM
I like the new version 2012 CRV so much I'm considering trading my garage kept low miles 2010 Element for one. And my Element is a great bike hauler. But first I have to measure the height of the inside of the new version CRV. Need about 37" to haul my bikes fork mounted.

It doesn't have enough gadgets to suit my wife, she likes her new Limited Edge with NAV, My Ford Touch, Sync, back up camera, voice control for everything except brakes, steering, and accelerator, all that useless stuff that can go wrong and cause problems.

One of the things I like about Honda products, and why I think they are so reliable, is they don't jump on the tech bandwangon until it's a proven thing. They haven't even adopted 6 speed automatics yet. I like simple and reliable. The new CRV does have hands free calling, and I think a back up camera. Both safety features.

Crazy Chris
02-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Mazda has had approximately 4 years in the red. Ford no longer can provide cash to counter the losses. The Mazda3 should have a diesel engine soon. No word on the CX5.

Nooch
02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
We picked up a 2011 CR-V right at the end of the year, awd LX trim. The wife loves it, I enjoy it, the gas mileage isn't stellar, though -- seems like we're averaging 18-19 city and 22-24 highway right now, with a thule rack (no fairing) on the roof.. The AWD does kinda suck the mileage down, but it's great to have.

i can lay a bike down in the back only knocking down one seat and the middle seat, which is nice.. lots of room.. i'm a fan.

AngryScientist
02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
We picked up a 2011 CR-V right at the end of the year, awd LX trim. The wife loves it, I enjoy it, the gas mileage isn't stellar, though -- seems like we're averaging 18-19 city and 22-24 highway right now, with a thule rack (no fairing) on the roof.. The AWD does kinda suck the mileage down, but it's great to have.

i can lay a bike down in the back only knocking down one seat and the middle seat, which is nice.. lots of room.. i'm a fan.

and here i figured Nooch would have gotten a Tiguan over a CR-V.

Nooch
02-16-2012, 01:39 PM
and here i figured Nooch would have gotten a Tiguan over a CR-V.

Premium gas for the turbo plus higher retail minus having a friend that works at honda equals the perfect argument for not doing it...

Not that I didn't want to -- I had one as an extended loaner while my Jetta was being serviced, enjoyed the heck out of it, but mostly just wanted to get it into boost and play...

edit: also, if it were my car, it might have been different, but it replaced her 8 or 9 year old saturn ion...

cp43
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
The CR-V is great, but I settled on the 3/4 size version Honda Fit.

Great mileage (35-40 with stick), excellent handling, and I can stuff 5 bikes in the back with front wheels removed.

But as Scotty says, "Cap'n, she ain'ta gotta no power."

Don

They make a supercharger for the Fit. I haven't looked into the details, but my girlfriend and I have talked about getting one for her Fit. It would be loads more fun with some extra power.

Chris

cody.wms
02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
if you're wondering about the gas milage on the new Impreza, check this out: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2295343

Summary -- not as good as expected for most people.

rice rocket
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
While those numbers are useful, keep in mind that its currently winter, and gas is up to 10% ethanol, maybe even higher in some states. I typically see my mileage drop 10% or so in the winter because of it.

peanutgallery
02-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Hondas and Suburus are about as exciting as a WNBA game. always happy with my Mazdas. Friend of mine bought a CRV and it came with a lifetime supply of feminine products :banana:

the CX 5 has my interest for this year

bargainguy
02-16-2012, 06:36 PM
They make a supercharger for the Fit. I haven't looked into the details, but my girlfriend and I have talked about getting one for her Fit. It would be loads more fun with some extra power.

Chris

Yeah, if you go on fitfreak.net you can see all kinds of bizarro stuff. The car is definitely tossable, so a little extra power would be nice, and a lot more would be even nicer. Probably wouldn't get the same fuel economy, though.

Don

Aspen
02-16-2012, 07:49 PM
My wife has a new CR-V and it's a mighty fine vehicle for the money. Came with AWD, nav, backup camera, voice control stereo and temperature, bluetooth, and a very nice sounding radio. I am quite impressed with it, tight handling and 26 mpg in 80-90% city driving.

Have you considered a Subaru Forester? It's not as nice inside as the CR-V but it's a great utility knife.

rice rocket
02-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Hondas and Suburus are about as exciting as a WNBA game. always happy with my Mazdas. Friend of mine bought a CRV and it came with a lifetime supply of feminine products :banana:

the CX 5 has my interest for this year

I have a Mazda. They do drive decently, but they're also not as reliable as the other two choices. There's actually three in my family right now. 2010 Mazda5 has been in the shop 4x for transmission issues (under warranty), 2006 Mazda3 has some issue right now with a slipping transmission (out of warranty), and I have an RX-7 that lives on jackstands. ;)