PDA

View Full Version : 1st real crash

jvp
02-14-2012, 07:29 AM
2 weeks ago, on my way home from work, on the greenway of all places. As it approaches a concrete box culvert under a major road, it takes a ~40 degree angle, so sight distance is very limited. A large mtn. bike rider was exiting the culvert and we collided head on. We were both going about 10mph I think. He was fine but it was apparent I broke my left pinky. I rode home ~8 miles and then drove to get med treatment. When I got home I also noticed the front tire of my 1976 fuji track bike was clearing the bottom of the downtube by some ~2mm! Apparently I didn't have to brake hard during the ride home. My LBS says the frame is toast, that tube replacement would be a lot of $. There are wrinkles on the top and bottom of both tubes, plus the fork steerer is slightly bent. They said bending it all back would not be safe. Could S&S couplers be used instead of replacing the 2 tubes? Or would it be cheaper/better to look for a replacement frame? Thanks!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jvpro/IMG_0070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jvpro/IMG_0072.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jvpro/IMG_0071.jpg

AgilisMerlin
02-14-2012, 07:32 AM
sucks. happens :confused:

post size and see what someone has

christian
02-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Looks about the same as a time I got in a head on with a Nissan.

ultraman6970
02-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Are u going to fix it or trash it?

Chance
02-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Could S&S couplers be used instead of replacing the 2 tubes? Or would it be cheaper/better to look for a replacement frame? Thanks!
You'd have to replace the top tube, down tube, head tube, and fork. Then paint it all. How much is the bike worth? A similar replacement has to be a lot cheaper in my opinion.

BTW, you might want to check front wheel too just to make sure.

jvp
02-14-2012, 07:41 AM
If fixing it is the same $ or less than replacing it, I would consider that route. I may post a WTB ad here eventually. I have other bikes to ride meanwhile but I really enjoyed commuting on the fuji.

jvp
02-14-2012, 07:43 AM
You'd have to replace the top tube, down tube, head tube, and fork. Then paint it all. How much is the bike worth? A similar replacement has to be a lot cheaper in my opinion.

That's what the LBS said also. Front wheel was still true, mavic ellipses are amazing!

christian
02-14-2012, 07:52 AM
That's what the LBS said also. Front wheel was still true, mavic ellipses are amazing!You will find that most wheels survive head on accidents just fine. Wheels are incredibly strong in radial compression.

jvp
02-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Here is the "before", except I was running bullhorns (and ellipses) at the time:
http://velospace.org/files/fuji_track2.jpg

buldogge
02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
If you just want it straightened, to ride and enjoy for yourself, there is a frame tool to pull the head tube back straight. Older Park tool HTS-1

It mounts thru the HT and against the BB and all you will have left for damage is a couple small ripples and some paint damage.

-Mark in St. Louis

Wilkinson4
02-14-2012, 08:08 AM
That sucks since that is a cool bike. I just had my 1st real crash in like 10 years on Sunday. Damn I am still sore. Got out Sunday afternoon for a quick ride before sundown and was riding around the neighborhood.

I see two dogs. I talk to them and the first one ignores me but the second gives chase. I was going pretty slow so I just start yelling "NO!", etc...

We had +20" of snow the last week and there are ice banks along the road, and this damn dog wad driving me to them. Before I knew it my front wheels was in a 12" high ice bank and over the top I went. Bike was ok, and I seemed ok.

Watch the dogs run to a house so I went and knocked on the door and gave the owner a piece of my mind. He was apologetic and asked if I was ok, so I let it be... But last night I was sore all over. I landed on my right shoulder but I must have twisted a bit. Hitting the ground is never fun, I am pretty careful and am too dman old to be taking headers like that.

mIKE

BumbleBeeDave
02-14-2012, 08:13 AM

Three of the four main tubes. I know spending $300-500 might not be to your liking, but do you have another bike to ride for the moment? Set up a search on eBay and wait a couple of weeks nad you'll probably find a steel track frame in your size.

BBD

Chance
02-14-2012, 08:24 AM
You will find that most wheels survive head on accidents just fine. Wheels are incredibly strong in radial compression.
Mentioned it only because a similar accident left my front wheel with a flat spot. Could ride it but it wasn't the same.

SPOKE
02-14-2012, 08:27 AM
I have seen the frame in the LBS. it's toast! Least expensive choice is find another frame of similar vintage. Even if you straighten it out you won't. E satisfied.....
Building a new front triangle, fork and couplers won't be cheap. About the only thing that would be cheap is having the frame powder coated after the repairs.
As you probably know we have a powder coater in the area that will do a single color for about $100.

AngryScientist
02-14-2012, 08:34 AM
take the opportunity for something new.

you may find that for commuting and casual riding, you will prefer a non track frame too....

jvp
02-14-2012, 08:39 AM
I guess it will end up on display...probably at the LBS where I left it. The good news is all I will need is a frame/fork. I have another track bike but it is too nice for commuting I think. I also commute on a road bike but I liked the option of commuting on the fuji, it probably saw more day to day use than any of my other bikes.

rain dogs
02-14-2012, 09:54 AM
It's now more valuable as a potential art piece than it is as a reliable track bike.

Find a new bike, make a new art project.