PDA

View Full Version : OT: Electric shaver/Razor

William
02-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm getting tired of shelling out close to $20 for 8 Mach 3 blades at a time. Unfortunately I shave my head as well as my face and it's the only razor that doesn't clog up continuously or cut my scalp to ribbons. Are there any electric shaver/razors out there that do a decent job at a close shave?

William

christian
02-13-2012, 12:43 PM
No.

How about a regular safety/DE razor? Some cheap Merkur, Merkur or Feather blades, cheap soap and a cheap brush and bob's your uncle.

I can get 10-11 shaves out of a Merkur HD blade and it's a nicer shave than the Mach9Motorized or whatever these days. And WAAAAAY cheaper.

crownjewelwl
02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
best electric razor on the market IMO

Hartlin
02-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I've switched to safety razors, as I refused to shell out the coin for multi blade systems. Blades are dirt cheap and last a lot longer. I get a much better shave. Found an old Gillette in an antique store, and got blades online. Unsure if it can be used on the head.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Chrome-Safety-Razor.jpg/220px-Chrome-Safety-Razor.jpg

Edit *as posted above as well.

Don49
02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm getting tired of shelling out close to $20 for 8 Mach 3 blades at a time. Unfortunately I shave my head as well as my face and it's the only razor that doesn't clog up continuously or cut my scalp to ribbons. Are there any electric shaver/razors out there that do a decent job at a close shave?
I also head shave and haven't found anything as good as the Mach 3 for that purpose. I've tried many other blades but the Mach 3 is still tops imho. I do use the Mach 3 for head shaving only, and switch over to a cheaper blade like the Sensor Xcel for face shaving. The face is much less sensitive than the scalp.

There are a couple of electric razors/trimmers that you might consider. The Panasonic wet/dry http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ES8103S-Rechargeable-Electric-Nanotech/dp/B001DNE3KQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1329159752&sr=1-2 is a reasonably good head shaver to use between shaves with a blade. Doesn't shave as close as a blade but is pretty gentle. I always use it wet in the shower.

The Wahl Balding clipper http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professional-8110-Balding-Clipper/dp/B000VVT94G/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1329160231&sr=1-1 is excellent to use before head shaving if your hair got longer than 2mm, like on vacation. It cuts pretty close, like two days growth, but your scalp won't feel smooth like a blade shave.

I've heard about other techniques for extending razor blade life, like drying the blades and soaking them in oil, but I haven't researched that.

Ken Robb
02-13-2012, 01:23 PM
I like some of the Norelco models and hear good things about Panasonic wet/dry versions. To get the best performance from regular shavers you have to use a pre-shave lotion like Williams Lectric Shave. Usually I am satisfied with a dry shave with my Norelco or Braun Foil.

Some guys' favorites are other guys' worst experiences so it pays to try a few different systems. Norelco offers $$ back guaranty and COSTO offers that on everything so you might shop there first. It can also take a few weeks use to get the best shave from an electric.

I use them because I have to shave with and against the grain of my beard to get a close shave with a blade and that leads to nicks and/or irritated skin.

BTW, for best results w/ most electrics your face must be clean and really dry.

bargainguy
02-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Saw this on How I Made My Millions on CNBC:

http://www.headblade.com/

Don

RIHans
02-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Maybe your answer...

Do not know if it comes in an extra large drum for your melon.

Louis
02-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Best solution is to grow a beard and not worry about your head.

http://media.knoxville.com/media/img/photos/2010/12/24/122410bearman_t300.jpg

William
02-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Maybe your answer...

Do not know if it comes in an extra large drum for your melon.

I often wear a 55 gallon drum on my melon. :p

William

William
02-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Best solution is to grow a beard and not worry about your head.

http://media.knoxville.com/media/img/photos/2010/12/24/122410bearman_t300.jpg

Is that Greaser Bob.....the original, greaser Bob? :confused:

William ;)

goonster
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
How about a regular safety/DE razor?
I'm committed to my Merkurs, but would you shave your head with one?

I would not.

The cost of cartridges was one of the main reasons I went to DE, but after years of going old school I have a serious, grudging respect for Mach3. They give a very good shave, no technique required, virtually idiot proof.

christian
02-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah, no problem on shaving the head (or legs for that matter). I did for a lot of 2006 or 2007 when I wasn't working a desk job. I did use a Mach 3 for years, from probably 18 to 28, and I agree, it gives a good shave. If you don't have a bit of practice with a DE, I'd even say that a Mach 3 will give a better shave.

But the price per shave for cartridges is simply outrageous. I was lucky to get 4-5 shaves out of a Mach 3 (@ $2.00+ per cartridge) and I can get 10 shaves out of a DE blade (@ $0.50 per blade). The math makes taking a couple of days to learn how to best handle a DE well worth it.

Ken Robb
02-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm committed to my Merkurs, but would you shave your head with one?

good shave, no technique required, virtually idiot proof.

Thank you. I must keep this in mind. :beer:

Louis
02-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Is that Greaser Bob.....the original, greaser Bob? :confused:

Whatever his name, I hope he's never my dentist.

AgilisMerlin
02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I've switched to safety razors, as I refused to shell out the coin for multi blade systems. Blades are dirt cheap and last a lot longer. I get a much better shave. Found an old Gillette in an antique store, and got blades online. Unsure if it can be used on the head.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Chrome-Safety-Razor.jpg/220px-Chrome-Safety-Razor.jpg

Edit *as posted above as well.

datst' what i got, angle 1-9

blades cheap

Louis
02-13-2012, 10:13 PM
I hope all you guys using the double-edge razors are doing it right. None of that foam out of a can stuff for the purists.

http://www.planete-rasoir.com/images/instit/39.jpg

goonster
02-14-2012, 12:17 AM
I was lucky to get 4-5 shaves out of a Mach 3 (@ $2.00+ per cartridge) and I can get 10 shaves out of a DE blade (@ $0.50 per blade).
It's actually the opposite for me.

I can get 10+ shaves out of a Mach3, and I toss out a DE blade* after five shaves, tops.

(* currently preferring Israelis, Derbys and Bolzanos, but I have tried most of them. Haven't given up on Feathers, but they might just be too sharp for my skin.)

goonster
02-14-2012, 12:41 AM
I hope all you guys using the double-edge razors are doing it right. None of that foam out of a can stuff for the purists.
First of all, DE shaving is not a big deal. Straight razor shavers are in a different league, and those who do it long-term successfully while maintaining their own blades have earned something like zen master status.

Second,you have posted a picture of some enormous $60+ Best Badger brush. Reasonably-sized badger brushes cost twenty bucks, or so, and will provide a lifetime of excellent service after break-in.

Here's what I'm using (in order of preference and frequency): Taylor Shaving Shop cream (my favorite scent), Harris Arlington soap, Williams (old tallow-based formula), Godrej cream, Proraso cream (the Gino Bartali of shaving products), Arko stick.

Louis
02-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Williams (old tallow-based formula)

That brings back memories. For a while my father was the local JB Williams rep down in the Caribbean where I grew up.

tiretrax
02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
I quite buying whatever the gillette 5 blade razor is due to a huge price increase a few years ago. I started buying a 2 blade gillette disposable razor with a lubricating strip that is sold in a 52 pack at Sam's for $20. They last up to two weeks.

Hawker
02-14-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm 60 and have tried blades many times over the years and they just don't work for me. Wish they did because they definitely give the closest shave.

That said...the best electric shaver I've ever used (and I've tried many) is a Braun and it's what I use now. However, get a high end model and not one of the cheaper ones as there really is a difference. Gosh...I HATE shaving.

MattTuck
02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
I find it ironic that people on a high end bike forum are sweating the prices of disposable razors.

Not to say that wasting money is a good thing, and if you are able to get a good shave with an inexpensive razor, that's a good value. But in the scheme of things, Amazon is selling 8 packs of the fusion proglide for $28 bucks. That's like $3 per blade. And assume you an get a week's worth of shaves from a single blade, we're talking less than $0.50 per shave.

At the rate we consume other stuff, coffee from starbucks, soda from the vending machine, a restaurant meal, a drink at a bar, an energy bar on a ride, etc. the cost of a blade is insignificant. Sort of like riding a lot, but insisting on the cheapest bar tape for your machine. If you're going to use it everyday, and it improves your experience, I say pay the premium.

That said, when you buy the razors all up front, there is a bit of sticker shock.

As far as the O.P., I'm not sure if head shaving burns through blades faster than face shaving, or how often you have to do that...

I've heard, though not tried, that putting razors blades in barbicide (http://www.barbermall.com/product/barbicide-1-2-gall-jug/ will keep a razor sharp indefinitely. The argument is that the 'dulling' of the razor blade happens due to oxidation of the sharpened edge once it gets wet and the factory applied coating is worn off, and not due to the cutting of the whiskers. The whiskers are supposedly very soft compared to the blade, and if you keep the razor in barbicide when not in use, there is no oxidation, and thus no dulling. This is not MY theory, it is something I've heard, but have not tried. If you do try it, send me a note on whether it worked or not.

bargainguy
02-14-2012, 11:41 AM
There's another way to extend razor life, and that is to dry them thoroughly after each use. Wipe with a towel and/or use a hair dryer. I do both.

Same idea, it's not the cutting which destroys blades, it's rust caused by moisture which can't get out. I've been doing this a long time and it works for me.

Don

Louis
02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
I find it ironic that people on a high end bike forum are sweating the prices of xxxxxxx

Although I regret the severing of our long relationship with Serotta, one benefit is that hopefully we won't be hearing this quite as often as before.

Just because I'm willing to spend X amount more on bikes than the average person out there, it doesn't mean that I'm also willing to spend a similar ratio on all the other items I purchase in my life.

MattTuck
02-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Although I regret the severing of our long relationship with Serotta, one benefit is that hopefully we won't be hearing this quite as often as before.

Just because I'm willing to spend X amount more on bikes than the average person out there, it doesn't mean that I'm also willing to spend a similar ratio on all the other items I purchase in my life.

Point taken. I used to know guys who work hard and scrimp and save all summer/fall so they can buy nice equipment, travel and ski all winter/spring. No reason someone shouldn't approach cycling the same way.

There favorite thing to say is, "I want to do another ski bum year" (they now have real jobs, and can't really just up and disappear for 6 months.

I want to do a cycle bum year.

mandasol
02-14-2012, 04:14 PM
With electric razors you really have to try them to see if you like them and none of them will be as close as a real razor.

I've had several Norelco's and never cared for any of them. Also their battery technology seems to be the poorest of any manufacturer because every one I had and every one I know that had one the rechargeable battery died really quickly (as in would stop holding a charge after a surprisingly few cycles). Also, even though I had a bad experience with them I tried another with the 'lift and cut' technology they had. It provided a closer shave, but it irritated my skin badly so it didn't get much use.

I've had several Brauns and like them better. The lower end shavers have a single foil, or just a double foil without the 'active lift' blade in between the foils to lift your hairs up. The higher end models have the 'active lift' blade in between the double foils and any of those will work about the same. The highest end models just have different extra bells and whistles as far as charging, batteries, indicator lights etc.

I recommend a wet dry model so you can rinse the blades under a faucet - I'd dry out the foil and blade as best as I can after rinsing though.

Steelman
02-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Regarding price, look on eBay for Mach 3, but be careful of fakes. Walmart has the lowest everyday price. Recently at Rite Aid, they were buy one 3pak, get the second 3pak for 50% off, and then if you bought 4paks, you got all that and a a $10 coupon on any thing Rite Aid sells.

If you want to make your blades last longer, shake them, and then dry them with a towel after each use, do not store them in the bathroom, pick somewhere dry. Once in a while stroke them across an old pair of jeans to clear the skin and what-not that is left on the blade edge.

Here is my own money saving tip. Use the cheapest blades (I use Good News) to knock down most of the hair, shaving with the grain. Then use the more expensive blade to shave against the grain.

Electric is handy because you can use it on your head or body to cut major growth, but it will never be as close as a Mach 3.

More tips and reviews:

headshaver.org

jghall
02-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Cannot speak to the need of shaving my head, but I have been impressed with my Panasonic electric razor. Looks kind of bulky, but has been stellar to date.

That said, I still prefer using a blade.