PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made a fixie with Campy 10s cranks?

summilux
02-13-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm planning a fixie build using Campy alloy 10s cranks (Record or Chorus square taper). If you've done this, what length BB did you use to get a nice chainline? The Record/Chrous BBs are 102mm, but the Pista is 111mm. I think the Miche track BBs work and they are 107mm. Also, do 10s rings work with track chains, or is it possible to get rear cogs that work with a 10s chain.

AngryScientist
02-13-2012, 08:28 AM
you generally match the BB to the crank, regardless of what you're using it for - that's a good place to start anyway. also, generally, you use the inner position of a double crank for SS application for the best chainline. you can use a 10-sp chainring for a track chain.

buldogge
02-13-2012, 08:35 AM
What AS said.

I haven't used 10s cranks, but I have used 8s Chorus.

Origin 8 make 135/144 "track" rings. I used a 46. You need a set of single/BMX chainring bolts. Ring in the inner ring position.

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
02-13-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm planning a fixie build using Campy alloy 10s cranks (Record or Chorus square taper). If you've done this, what length BB did you use to get a nice chainline? The Record/Chrous BBs are 102mm, but the Pista is 111mm. I think the Miche track BBs work and they are 107mm. Also, do 10s rings work with track chains, or is it possible to get rear cogs that work with a 10s chain.

Record/Chorus is 102 and the Pista is 111 because they are much different cranks/designs.

I had a Moots fixie for a few years and used a Record crank and Phil 102mm BB, Phil 130mm flip/flop-chainline was great.

May be no need to space it out farther, look where the cog is on the hub.

Yes you can use a track chain with road chainrings and 3/32 cogs BUT use a 8s chain, works great and much cheaper. track cogs are either 1/8inch or 3/32 which corresponds to a 8s cog, essentially.

keevon
02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
A better option than the Chorus/Record cranks is to find an older Centaur/Veloce double crank, either standard or compact.

Square taper Centaur/Veloce doubles use a 111mm BB. If you use a 107mm Miche BB, you can mount the chainring in the outer position and get good chainline.

As a bonus, square taper alloy Centaur/Veloce compact cranks use a standard 110mm BCD. Much larger selection of chainrings than 135mm BCD.

djg
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM
I've used an old Record 10 speed crank with a White Industries ENO hub and found that the outer chainring lined up pretty well -- pulled the two road rings and replaced the outer with a track ring and wound up with a decent chain line without any mucking about.

summilux
02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Keevon,
That's a great idea, I dislike the look of fixies using just the inner holes of a double crank.

Marburg
02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
I've been mulling this over as well, and got frustrated with finding chainrings. For the sake of posterity, you can find 135bcd "singlespeed rings" here:

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopcrank.html

at 1/8". I hadn't found the Origin8's, and obviously there are there's NOS.

Overall, going compact/110 might be smarter, but using 135bcd is doable.