PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Serotta components

influenzadoc
02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I am curious what components might have been used on a 1976 road bike. Would a mix of suntour, shimano, fiame and cinelli be consistent with the components that would have been used on a 1976 Serotta Road bike?

thanks,

Fixed
02-12-2012, 02:16 PM
campy was king
zeus was around then too
it was cool back then every rear wheel worked
i am writing a book about a blues guitarist that rides a 1976 kessels made eddy merckx bike
the story takes place in 1976 .
cheers

bfd
02-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I am curious what components might have been used on a 1976 road bike. Would a mix of suntour, shimano, fiame and cinelli be consistent with the components that would have been used on a 1976 Serotta Road bike?

thanks,

Those parts would work. But as fixed said there were other brands like the previously mentioned Zeus, Galli, Ofmega (Campy copy), Gipiemme, Simplex/Stronglight/Huret/,Mavic, Edco with its very nice Competition group and Avocet. I'm sure there are a few other brands I missed or forgotten. Good Luck!

influenzadoc
02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
I know that Campy was the top choice but my question is more along the line of " did Ben Serotta outfit his 1976 bikes with a mix of suntour, shimano, Fiamme and Cinelli?" They may have been available in 1976 but did Serotta use these components. Does anyone have a 1976 Serotta road bike that can comment on what they have or had on theirs?

dave thompson
02-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Everything I've seen about the very early Serotta bikes was that they were sold primarily as framesets, leaving the dealers/owners to equip them with the components of their choice.

You can see an example of Ben's work in the catalog selection here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=82643 This brochure is from about the era (1976) that you're asking about as it speaks of Ben going to England "Four years ago..". Serotta started building in 1972.

bart998
02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Those parts would work. But as fixed said there were other brands like the previously mentioned Zeus, Galli, Ofmega (Campy copy), Gipiemme, Simplex/Stronglight/Huret/,Mavic, Edco with its very nice Competition group and Avocet. I'm sure there are a few other brands I missed or forgotten. Good Luck!

left off the original Weyless, Hi-e, Phil, Cinelli, 3TTT, CLB, Universal, Mafac, GB, Super Champion, Rigida, Nisi, Normandy/Maillard, KKT, Sugino... I'm pretty sure Avocet was started in 1978 or so...