02-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Busted - Absolutely!

http://moots.com/communityblog/

TimD
02-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Sweet.

phcollard
02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Nice from Moots that they did all that work, and quickly enough!

tylerbick
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
This is awesome!

Thanks for posting it!

AngryScientist
02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
cool!

good on that bike shop for being suspicious, glad to see some justice served.

hopefully the shop relays how much the bike is worth so the police and prosecutor know its not some petty misdemeanor crime and he gets harsh punishment.

Aaron O
02-12-2012, 12:27 PM
I really feel safer riding higher end, more unusual stuff...

1. I think most thieves are opportunists and don't know the difference between a Sachs and Free Spirit anyway. It's a $25 score. They'll target the cheaper bike with an easier cable lock rather than my bike with ubolt and cabled wheels.

2. The thieves who do know a little are probably targeting brands they know...Trek, Cannondale, Specialized. What's a Serotta???

3. If they do steal it, it's going to stick out more (like the Moots above) and it will likely be easier to get back.

tsarpepe
02-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Sounds about right. I had a bike stolen in Pittsburgh.

Wonderful city, by the way.

retrofit
02-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Excellent!

The bust was ultimately made possible because the owner had registered his serial number with the manufacturer.

As an owner of a "pre-owned" Serotta (purchased from a forumite) is there a (re-) registration process for new owners?

How do other frame builders/manufactures handle registration when there is a transfer of ownership?

Stan

Marcusaurelius
02-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I think there are two very distinct group of bicycle thieves in my city:

The first group are addicted to some form of drug and will steal anything with two wheels. The don't distinguish--if it has a cheap cable lock--they will steal it and then resell it to a stranger for $20 at a skytrain station.

The second group are professionals and steal only expensive bikes that can be sold as complete or they will strip the parts and sell things separately. These people know what a Serotta is. They use all sorts of methods to break locks.

Aaron O
02-12-2012, 01:21 PM
I think there are two very distinct group of bicycle thieves in my city:

The first group are addicted to some form of drug and will steal anything with two wheels. The don't distinguish--if it has a cheap cable lock--they will steal it and then resell it to a stranger for $20 at a skytrain station.

The second group are professionals and steal only expensive bikes that can be sold as complete or they will strip the parts and sell things separately. These people know what a Serotta is. They use all sorts of methods to break locks.

I've heard that type of thief exists...but I don't think we have them here (yet). I know the right portable angle grinder and huge bolt cutters can get through anything, but I haven't really heard of that happening in my area. I'm honestly more afraid of a smash and grab, which I have heard of happening than I am of a high end thief cutting through a good ubolt.

Someone who is that good can target other things that are more valuable...like motorcycles. In the scheme of things, a bike thief targeting a Serotta has limited options. If he puts it on ebay, it will be up there for the world to see for some time. Pawn shops require IDs. Craigslist risks exposure and you're not getting top dollar on higher end bikes. I know it happens, but I don't think it's common place, at least here (so far).

MRB
02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
That is great news!

On my bikes I always write a note on the steerer tube (of the fork), that the bike belongs to me, with all my contact info. In hopes that a mechanic might see this note, if the bike comes in for service.

If I sell the bike, I take some rubbing alcohol, and remove the note from the steerer tube. I don't know if helps to get a bike returned, but it can't hurt.

gone
02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
That is great news!

On my bikes I always write a note on the steerer tube (of the fork), that the bike belongs to me, with all my contact info. In hopes that a mechanic might see this note, if the bike comes in for service.

If I sell the bike, I take some rubbing alcohol, and remove the note from the steerer tube. I don't know if helps to get a bike returned, but it can't hurt.

Great idea!

Louis
02-12-2012, 02:02 PM
I assume the thief will simply claim that he "just bought the bike from some guy off the street" but if the cops are interested in solving this I suppose they can alway go to his house / apartment and see what they can find there. (not so sure about stuff like search warrants and all that)

Aaron O
02-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I assume the thief will simply claim that he "just bought the bike from some guy off the street" but if the cops are interested in solving this I suppose they can alway go to his house / apartment and see what they can find there. (not so sure about stuff like search warrants and all that)

Or maybe finger prints from the house? I think how the police approach it might depend on his record...if he has a history of theft, that's a pretty good indicator.

I'm not sure how police treat things around your parts, but around here bike theft is pretty much like jay walking; you're lucky if the police even help you get the bike back in a dispute...and usually they'll default to "it's a civil matter". Breaking and entering is a horse of a different color and they'd treat that a good deal more seriously.

tiretrax
02-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Great story. Good on the shop for smelling something fishy as well as Moots for all the trouble they went to.

Dekonick
02-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Awesome. Hopefully they recover more of the kids chit from the bust - and perhaps help others get their stuff back. Thieves suck.

gaozilla
02-12-2012, 11:32 PM
awesome.

fogrider
02-13-2012, 01:04 AM
the thing about bikes is that it is typically considered a low priority and most cops feimel like they have killers and drug dealers to take care of. in our police department I've heard that there is a cop that is a and he goes after bike thieves. and when the value qualifies as grand theft, then they can really go after them.

weaponsgrade
02-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Don't steal bikes bro.

torquer
02-13-2012, 09:59 AM
So the perp leaves the bike at the shop, not for repairs, but for an estimate?
Another example of turning to a life of crime because you're too stupid to do anything else.

xodus
02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
This story made me smile and I just wished I had the same good fortune when my Zeus was stolen years ago. Don't ya just love this community!

William
02-13-2012, 10:33 AM
So the perp leaves the bike at the shop, not for repairs, but for an estimate?
Another example of turning to a life of crime because you're too stupid to do anything else.

"You see, in order to get an accurate estimate we'll have to remove the crankset to look into the bottom bracket shell. Then we can tell if it's regular steel/Titanium/carbon, or if it's a mix of Unobtanium and steel/titanium/carbon. If its Unobtanium it's really worth something! We'll call you when we "check" things out."

:rolleyes: ;)

William