PDA

View Full Version : Loctite for saddle bolts

Alan Dolid
02-12-2012, 11:33 AM
I am having a helluva time with saddle bolts coming loose on my 3T Dorico seat post. Any suggestions for using Loctite? I have read that Purple is a good one to use in that you put it on the threads after tightening...... Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated as always!

GRAVELBIKE
02-12-2012, 12:02 PM
IIRC, purple is an anaerobic compound, and should be applied to the threads before assembly. It's weaker than the more-common blue formula (242), but works well on smaller-diameter fittings.

rice rocket
02-12-2012, 01:38 PM
You need a torque wrench. It's because your two-bolt seatpost has unequal torque on each bolt, which allows one bolt to work it's way loose, which places all it's load on the other bolt...which works it's way loose, and then the other, etc.

mike p
02-12-2012, 01:57 PM
+1 you should not need loctite on a seatpost clamp. You need to make sure you evenly torque bolts!

Mike

You need a torque wrench. It's because your two-bolt seatpost has unequal torque on each bolt, which allows one bolt to work it's way loose, which places all it's load on the other bolt...which works it's way loose, and then the other, etc.

shankldu
02-12-2012, 02:12 PM
The other furum member is correct you should not use loctite ,torque the bolts evenly as prev stated of it still slips somting else is going on , go to your lbs.

Alan Dolid
02-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks everyone.....learn something new everyday!!!!!