PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo River, Arkansas

d_man16
02-11-2012, 11:49 AM
It's time to plan a trip. We were thinking a week long canoe trip.

We've been mulling over the Buffalo river, has anybody made this run before?

I'm pretty confident in a canoe and my partner is a bit of a novice but she's a quick learner and in pretty good shape any advice experience with this trip?

We were thinking first week of March?

thanks,

~D

LouDeeter
02-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Should be a good time of the year. They have had rain, so the river should be running well. It has been awhile since I was on the Buffalo, but my wife is from nearby and I have watched the activity there many years. The water will still be cold in March. You can fish too, but make sure you have the license and understand the rules. I would watch the weather forecasts very closely, particularly if you plan to camp at the camp grounds along the route.

michael white
02-11-2012, 12:15 PM
in 1974, the day after I graduated from highschool a friend and I took an old Grumman down the Buffalo when it was 6 ft over flood stage. Not a good idea. Wrapped the canoe around a tree and hiked out with nothing but a bottle of Southern Comfort. No shoes. Good thing some hillbillies picked us up and traded a full gallon of rotgut moonshine for what was left of our SC. After that we headed out west for a few months and I was in the navy by Christmas.

trophyoftexas
02-11-2012, 12:48 PM
....nuf said.

jmeloy
02-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Beautiful country, great river, good fishing, nice people. More mandolin than banjo.

It's time to plan a trip. We were thinking a week long canoe trip.

We've been mulling over the Buffalo river, has anybody made this run before?

I'm pretty confident in a canoe and my partner is a bit of a novice but she's a quick learner and in pretty good shape any advice experience with this trip?

We were thinking first week of March?

thanks,

~D

cat6
02-11-2012, 05:12 PM
in 1974, the day after I graduated from highschool a friend and I took an old Grumman down the Buffalo when it was 6 ft over flood stage. Not a good idea. Wrapped the canoe around a tree and hiked out with nothing but a bottle of Southern Comfort. No shoes. Good thing some hillbillies picked us up and traded a full gallon of rotgut moonshine for what was left of our SC. After that we headed out west for a few months and I was in the navy by Christmas.

I like this story.

d_man16
02-12-2012, 09:44 AM

This seriously made me chuckle enough to send the links to my friend(s) who are sending me on this little vacation after a bit of a crazy year.

Thanks for the comments/experiences keep them coming!

what should I bring are there many stops on the river to resupply or should I just pack enough for the whole week.....and how crazy is crazy when it rains?

~D

tiretrax
02-12-2012, 10:14 AM
The river can rise quickly if it rains. I haven't paddled it, but a lot of colleagues have. They've got some humorous stories.

LouDeeter
02-12-2012, 03:41 PM
If you are going self-supported, with nobody to drive down to meet you along the way, it really depends on where you put in and pull out, but there aren't a lot of places to shop on the banks as I recall. If you need something, it is best to pre-arrange someone to deliver it to you at a planned stop. It's been awhile since I overnighted on the river, so some campsites may now have convenience items to purchase.