PDA

View Full Version : High tech winterizing your shoes.

bobswire
02-10-2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/budget-bike-tech-toasty-toes-with-recycled-race-numbers--33126

thegunner
02-10-2012, 10:49 PM
sandwich bags. also lifesavers.

rwsaunders
02-11-2012, 06:30 AM
If I wear black Sidi's, is it proper to use white Tyvek, or am I limited to Hefty trash bags? :cool:

Birddog
02-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Although IMO this borders on the ridiculous, if you must in a pinch "winterize", then the Tyvec is far superior to plastic. Tvek breathes and lets moisture pass out. Last time I checked plastic didn't. When your feet are wet (from perspiration) and cold you're in trouble.

duke
02-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Why would "winterizeing" my shoes border on ridiculous? I do it all the time and don't feel bad about it.
duke

R2D2
02-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Although IMO this borders on the ridiculous, if you must in a pinch "winterize", then the Tyvec is far superior to plastic. Tvek breathes and lets moisture pass out. Last time I checked plastic didn't. When your feet are wet (from perspiration) and cold you're in trouble.

He mentioned as a lifesaver. It's helped many I know on Brevets when weather did the unexpecetd. Usually wearing wool socks helps with the dampness.

I just use winter boots. Yea they set me back but only once a lifetime.

rwsaunders
02-11-2012, 07:29 AM
When we were sled riding as kids, we used plastic bread wrappers inside of our rubber boots. Made it easier to get in the boots and your feet stayed warm. Same trick, older technology. Sometimes simpler can be better, right?

bobswire
02-11-2012, 08:42 AM
BTW you can order the Tyvek priority shipping envelopes from USPS shipped to you for free. In fact I've used them sending bibs and jerseys to forumites.
I don't use them for feet warmers but it's nice to know I can in a pinch.
https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?categoryNav=false&navAction=jump&navCount=5&productId=P_EP_14&categoryId=subcatMSS_E_Free

charliedid
02-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Yep those shipping envelopes also make a great wind barrier in a pinch...free at any USPS etc.

For those of you (like me) who would find wrapping my feet in that due to it moving around and bunching...

Here is a relatively cheap solution that mountaineers etc. have used for years.

http://www.moontrail.com/integraldesigns-vpsocks.php

I use these and neoprene booties when it's wet because I find my waterproof booties to be a bad fit and often not warm enough.

Bob Ross
02-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Yep those shipping envelopes also make a great wind barrier in a pinch.

And for the ones that you do use over your feet: cut off the flap w/ the adhesive intact, then cut that into 3 or 4 pieces; voila! Tyvek tire boots!

charliedid
02-11-2012, 10:23 AM
And for the ones that you do use over your feet: cut off the flap w/ the adhesive intact, then cut that into 3 or 4 pieces; voila! Tyvek tire boots!

Ha! Great idea.

jpw
02-11-2012, 12:55 PM
2 thin plastic bags inside, 1 outside, and an old pair of socks over everything.