PDA

View Full Version : Best 10sp chain that does not need an expensive chain tool?

Gat64
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
I am about to change my 10sp campy chain on a chorus drive train and was wondering if there is a good option to purchase where I do not have to buy an expensive chain tool.

I do have a regular chain tool, but from what I have heard, you need a special one for campy chains.

Any advice?

Cheers.

bumknees
02-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I've had very good luck with KMC chains on my 10s drivetrain -- they're pretty quiet and the missing link works well.

Or... you could get another Campy chain, and use a missing link. KMC makes one that works w/ Campy chains

astaft
02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
I use a Campy chain and a wippermann or KMC link. Works very well.

Steve in SLO
02-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Same here. Never a problem. Superlinks tend to click.

Gat64
02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks - great to know I can use a campy chain with the missing link. Shifting with the campy chain has always been great so I was a little concerned about going another route.

Ralph
02-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I use a standard cheap Park chain tool on my Campy 10 chain. Not sure what you mean by expensive chain tool. I could use the Campy pin with this tool. I also use a KMC quick link.

Gat64
02-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Ralph - I thought I had read that 10sp and 11sp campy chains required specific chain tools, but if you use a regular, that's great. I'm set either way.
Cheers.

keevon
02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I've had a Campy 10 speed chain blow up with a Wipperman link. Not recommended.

KMC DX-10SC chains work extremely well with Campy drivetrains. I've used them exclusively over the last 5 years.

Steve in SLO
02-10-2012, 11:55 AM

KMC DX-10SC chains work extremely well with Campy drivetrains. I've used them exclusively over the last 5 years.
What is "blow up"?
Was it a matter of the link breaking, or of the chain itself going? If the chain itself, I have seen sideplates going on chains not using a connector.

astaft
02-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I have used them with Campy chains for ~8 years with no problems (as long as I don't put it on backwards) :D

oldpotatoe
02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I am about to change my 10sp campy chain on a chorus drive train and was wondering if there is a good option to purchase where I do not have to buy an expensive chain tool.

I do have a regular chain tool, but from what I have heard, you need a special one for campy chains.

Any advice?

Cheers.

Campagnolo Veloce and Wipperman quick link or

KMC

oldpotatoe
02-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Ralph - I thought I had read that 10sp and 11sp campy chains required specific chain tools, but if you use a regular, that's great. I'm set either way.
Cheers.

11s more than 10s, but there are non Campagnolo chain tools for 10s and 11s.

keevon
02-10-2012, 12:44 PM
What is "blow up"?
Was it a matter of the link breaking, or of the chain itself going? If the chain itself, I have seen sideplates going on chains not using a connector.
I had a Veloce 10 speed chain with a Wipperman connector (don't remember the name) on my bike about 5 years ago.

After riding this setup for a while, the chain broke in the middle of a criterium. I had just established a solo breakaway, when suddenly my chain wasn't there anymore. Fortunately it didn't cause me or anyone else to crash.

I recall the chain breaking at the Wipperman link. Whether it was the link itself or the chain immediately adjacent to the link, I don't recall. I wouldn't rule out user error in installation either :o

Since then I've used the KMC chains and links. I haven't found a reason to go back to Campy.

Point Grey
02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
have used Wippermann for years on my cross bike with record 10s. No issues and easy to take off to clean.

thinpin
02-10-2012, 03:41 PM
i've used wippermann and KMC links all without a problem on campagnolo 10s chains. I've also used KMC chains for years without issue.

R2D2
02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm currently using a Wipperman Stainless chain on my Rando rig.
Sees a lot of rain etc and I'm a slacker about cleaning up.
Works great with Campanolo 10-speed compact.

oldpotatoe
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
have used Wippermann for years on my cross bike with record 10s. No issues and easy to take off to clean.

Yep, sold probably 200-300 of these for 10s with no returns. AND one thing for sure, if a customer isn't happy, you WILL hear about it.

Ahneida Ride
02-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Campy chain missing links for 10 years

no problems

I replace a chain after 2K miles.

Nick209
02-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Campy chains need to have the pin head mushroomed to make sure the pin stays put, ive put on many with a standard chain tool without issue. But for peice of mind it helps to know that it was installed to spec. Personally the kmc 10 and 11 spd missing links are a good option

Bob Loblaw
02-10-2012, 06:24 PM
A Shimano chain will work fine and requires just a plain old chain tool. No quick link required.

Also, and of course ymmv, the most miles I ever got out of any chain was a DA 7800.

reptarlazer
02-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Campy chains need to have the pin head mushroomed to make sure the pin stays put, ive put on many with a standard chain tool without issue. But for peice of mind it helps to know that it was installed to spec. Personally the kmc 10 and 11 spd missing links are a good option
Yup, it's used to peen the rivet. Park tool sells one for 30ish dollars. Campy sells one for $100+. Go Figure. They also have the most ridiculous chain installation directions. They make you do all sort of ridiculous math. It's kind of funny.

oldpotatoe
02-11-2012, 07:27 AM

11s only for the mushroom thing. Only a few non Campagnolo tools do that. The Pedros one, Park mushroom tool and of course the best one, the Campagnolo tool.

Dave
02-11-2012, 08:55 AM
No all 10 speed chains have the same width, across the inner plates, so not all master links will fit properly with all brands.

Campy and SRAM chains are about .1mm or .004inch narrower than the other brands. Use a Wipperman link with a Campy or SRAM chain and you should get a sloppy side clearance, around .012 inch. What you want is something in the .004-.008 inch range.

KMC makes a link just for Campy chain, that should fit better.

I really prefer the Wipperman design, but they only make links to fit their chains. It should also fit KMC or Shimano 10 speed chains.

oldpotatoe
02-11-2012, 09:11 AM
No all 10 speed chains have the same width, across the inner plates, so not all master links will fit properly with all brands.

Campy and SRAM chains are about .1mm or .004inch narrower than the other brands. Use a Wipperman link with a Campy or SRAM chain and you should get a sloppy side clearance, around .012 inch. What you want is something in the .004-.008 inch range.

KMC makes a link just for Campy chain, that should fit better.

I really prefer the Wipperman design, but they only make links to fit their chains. It should also fit KMC or Shimano 10 speed chains.

They do-

http://www.connexchain.com/Connectors/Connex-link/1_309.html

"Our unique and sophisticated connector - Easy to open and close without any tools. Suitable for all 10-, 9- and 8-speed derailleur chains"

Not 'suitable for all OUR 10-, 9-, 8-speed chains'.

I've talked to the Wipperman guy up in Ft Collins and he states the links are just fine for Campagnolo 8, 9, 10s chains...and I agree.

'nother dead horse but as I've mentioned, precise measurements aside(.004 inch?, .1 of a millimeter!), they stay hooked together, don't break, aren't noisy, not sure what else a connector is supposed to do.

If I had a bunch of customers complain about these(I have had zero), like the Forrster/Craig link(clicky), I wouldn't sell them but.......

nm87710
02-11-2012, 10:00 AM
KMC works well

Dave
02-11-2012, 01:07 PM
All I've done is post the facts about the different brands of chains and what constitutes a proper side clearance.

KMC makes two different master link models - one that fits KMC, Shimano and any other brand made to the slightly wider inner plate width and a narrower model for Campy chains.

KMC chains have more side clearance when new that some of the others and their master links have an even sloppier fit.

I know that you can get by with a sloppy fitting master link. I've used a KMC 10 speed link with an 11 speed chain and I've also used a Wipperman connex link, but I've got a few left that are narrower than the current version. Those were made to fit a 10 speed chain than Wipperman considered to be Shimano specific. They later discontinued that model and came up with one that was supposed to work with any 10 speed drive train.

Some folks tried the "Shimano specfic" Wipperman link with a Shimano chain and found out the hard way nearly zero side clearance will result in breaking the heads off the pins of the connex link.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2012, 08:19 AM
All I've done is post the facts about the different brands of chains and what constitutes a proper side clearance.

KMC makes two different master link models - one that fits KMC, Shimano and any other brand made to the slightly wider inner plate width and a narrower model for Campy chains.

KMC chains have more side clearance when new that some of the others and their master links have an even sloppier fit.

I know that you can get buy with a sloppy fitting master link. I've used a KMC 10 speed link with an 11 speed chain and I've also used a Wipperman connex link, but I've got a few left that are narrower than the current version. Those were made to fit a 10 speed chain than Wipperman considered to be Shimano specific. They later discontinued that model and came up with one that was supposed to work with any 10 speed drive train.

Some folks tried the "Shimano specfic" Wipperman link with a Shimano chain and found out the hard way nearly zero side clearance will result in breaking the heads off the pins of the connex link.

I appreciate your precise measurements and all Dave, all I'm pointing out that this, along with a lot of stuff 'bicycle', .1mm and other measurements imply that the bicycle drivetrain is much more precise than it really is. As a consequence, a lot of bike stuff that may be considered 'proper' and 'correct', actually has a lot of gray area involved. Chains and connector links as well.

See 'can I use a 10s chain on a 9s system', link. Or Campagnolo ERGO with sram rear ders, Campagnolo ERGO with shimano rear ders and 8s...a lot of this stuff 'works', gets ya down the road, won't break or make ya crash.

But I DO appreciate your precision in these things.

I use sram gold 9s links on Campagnolo 10s chains for a long time until actual links and chains were made. Talk about sloppy fit, but they worked, didn't come unfastened and didn't click.

Gat64
02-12-2012, 09:15 AM
KMC no longer makes the DX10SC and it's replacement is the X10.93 which so far performs just as well.

KMC stills list the DX10SC on their site. I can not seem to find the new model you refer to.

thwart
02-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Dave
I know that you can get buy with a sloppy fitting master link. I've used a KMC 10 speed link with an 11 speed chain and I've also used a Wipperman connex link, but I've got a few left that are narrower than the current version. Those were made to fit a 10 speed chain than Wipperman considered to be Shimano specific. They later discontinued that model and came up with one that was supposed to work with any 10 speed drive train.
Some folks tried the "Shimano specfic" Wipperman link with a Shimano chain and found out the hard way nearly zero side clearance will result in breaking the heads off the pins of the connex link. I appreciate your precise measurements and all Dave, all I'm pointing out that this, along with a lot of stuff 'bicycle', .1mm and other measurements imply that the bicycle drivetrain is much more precise than it really is. As a consequence, a lot of bike stuff that may be considered 'proper' and 'correct', actually has a lot of gray area involved. Chains and connector links as well.
See 'can I use a 10s chain on a 9s system', link. Or Campagnolo ERGO with sram rear ders, Campagnolo ERGO with shimano rear ders and 8s...a lot of this stuff 'works', gets ya down the road, won't break or make ya crash.
But I DO appreciate your precision in these things.

One of the reasons I hang out here is to get opinions (and maybe sometimes even a little 'debate') from folks who know more than I do.

steampunk
02-12-2012, 10:50 AM
i've run the KMC X10SL on my 10sp Campy for many years and have had no problems.

nm87710
02-12-2012, 11:29 AM
KMC stills list the DX10SC on their site. I can not seem to find the new model you refer to.

from kmc usa site which seems to have updated product info http://www.kmcchain.us/kmcproduct.asp?pid=4806&bsid=32&ssid=589

Good Luck with KMC