PDA

View Full Version : Computrainer Cycling Studios

dekindy
02-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Indiana is not the Arctic but we have long Winters and the majority of riders prefer not to ride outside when it requires more than arm and knee warmers, headband, and toe covers. Up until recently the only way you could ride a Computrainer was if you purchased your own. It may have started a few years ago when Marian College was able to leverage their success in collegiate cycling and raise sufficient funds to open a Cycling Center (http://www.muknights.com/facilities/0/21.php) . Someone from our cycling club was able to organize a Winter training class that has not been offered since.

However, since then some Computrainer facilities have been opened. One LBS, all the way on the other side of Indianapolis and a studio in Broad Ripple, and a facility in Ft. Wayne were revealed by my research. Last night I just happened to notice this Cycle Studio (http://www.iammultisport.com/the-cycle-studio) advertised on Facebook and am going to head over there this morning to check it out.

Anybody seeing more Computrainer equipped facilities in their area? I know a new software version is due to be released and am wondering if it is available yet?

Alan
02-10-2012, 09:28 AM
They are very popular in Canada. When I was in Ottawa I went to the Peak Centre which is in a hockey rink. They have many locations across Canada and the northern US. I was tested and had a fun training program so I really like the concept.

As you get further south in the US the concept is less popular as people can ride outside etc. I much prefer Computrainer workouts vs spinning or home trainers.

Alan

christian
02-10-2012, 09:50 AM
My LBS runs one with the Tacx trainers. I see people in there sweating quite often when I ride by. Worst winter ever to roll this out, btw!

dekindy
02-10-2012, 10:00 AM
My LBS runs one with the Tacx trainers. I see people in there sweating quite often when I ride by. Worst winter ever to roll this out, btw!

I disagree. Most folks have a low threshold for any type of cold weather riding. I like it and have the clothes for it. Riding outdoors does make the Winter go quicker there is no doubt. However it is a hassle and if interesting alternatives are available like my Winter training class or a Computrainer studio I am more inclined to use them. Winter is now a time I look forward to positively because I can structure my riding to improve my cycling by so I can enjoy riding outdoors more in the Summer. I used to just look at Winter as something to get through hoping that I would not lose too much fitness or gain too much weight.

christian
02-10-2012, 10:36 AM
My only point was - my area of Westchester county has a fair number of "serious" cyclists. Any given winter, they'd have been clamoring for this (as I would have been - the LBS is literally 700 yds from my house). But this winter, I see many more people out on the road than I usually do.

92degrees
02-10-2012, 11:59 AM
2 shops in my area offer this. Maybe 3 now. I've frequented one, and it can be great. Love the "course rides" but hate the "workout" rides. Course rides end up being like mini races if you get the right group and it's great training. The pre-programmed workouts remind me of being on a stairmaster, and I'd rather just be on the rollers at home.

dekindy
02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
2 shops in my area offer this. Maybe 3 now. I've frequented one, and it can be great. Love the "course rides" but hate the "workout" rides. Course rides end up being like mini races if you get the right group and it's great training. The pre-programmed workouts remind me of being on a stairmaster, and I'd rather just be on the rollers at home.

Interesting observation but when I think about it that is how it is on the road. Do you think spirited course rides would be just as effective as pre-programmed workouts at making fitness gains over the Winter? For me I would tend to think the workouts would be better but I am not a racer so that might make a difference. Do the workouts have scenery like a ride or just data on the screen?

dekindy
02-10-2012, 01:43 PM
My only point was - my area of Westchester county has a fair number of "serious" cyclists. Any given winter, they'd have been clamoring for this (as I would have been - the LBS is literally 700 yds from my house). But this winter, I see many more people out on the road than I usually do.

I agree with this statement. However, I am in the semi to serious group and I would still prefer the indoor studio to going outside even during this mild Winter. I just had not experienced this type of alternative until now.

In my class I think there have been only a couple of times that class attendance has been noticeably reduced due to mild temperatures and that was predominately early Fall or the occasional optional weekend session when the temperatures were ridiculously warm. Since Winter warm temperatures have not pulled many folks from the class. However many in my class are what I would consider beyond serious; racer types and triathletes and even other coaches that are disciplined about keeping a strict training regimen and recognize the benefit of coaching so that may make a difference.

giverdada
02-10-2012, 06:07 PM
we've got a few here in toronto, and the one that started it all is still my favourite. my wife's been going for a few years now, since we did it as a date on my birthday (december), and she's currently the stronger rider. her watts/kilo are far beyond mine, and she could certainly out-TT me any day.

i went for about 7 months last year, doing one weekly fitness class. the gains were astounding. i mean, really, truly, holy cow astounding. the strongest i've ever been, fastest, best-paced, well-cadenced, and just damn fit on the bike, all from this place. the coaches/instructors are charismatic and motivating. the workouts are good and hard. and now i'm signed up for every-sunday self-led group riding. not going to do the fitness increases that i saw last year, but gets me riding far longer than i would on our crap roads outside all winter, and comes in at a better price point than a class.

all in, i think there's a lot to gain from this kind of training. but of course, it all depends on whether or not it works for you (group environment, computrainer, intervals, inside, etc.). it should also be noted that i don't have a power meter of mine own. and this place, this great, great place that has made so many people i know the best riders they've ever been, is called wattsup. it's in toronto. give'r.

n.

dekindy
02-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Well Giverdada I have seen the 2mph guarantee and figured that it was outrageous and it would be difficult to adhere strictly to the protocal for qualifying for the 6-month money back guarantee. Then I see your statement and this posted on their Facebook Wedneday of this week. I guess I believe it but the wattage increase necessary to increase speeds that dramatically is hard to believe.

"The Cycle Studio

We snuck a test in on our morning group:) After 8 weeks of consistent time spent at The Cycle Sudio, here are some the results of the 20 min TT (ouch). (results in mph). Seems to be working..
Tracy Winn - 18.5 to 19.8 Holla!
Courtney Galyan - Fast to Faster 23.5.
Sara "The Beast" Schroeder - 20.4 to 22.3
Mallory Counihan - 19.3 to 21.3
Andy Mulvey - 20.1 to 21.6 (4 weeks)
Julie Knox - 18.3 to 20.5
Amy "Sass" Robbins 17.4 to 18.9"

giverdada
02-10-2012, 07:00 PM
yeah dekindy, i was thinking the same. i don't know that wattsup has any kind of guarantee, but i'm pretty sure that they could. it's mostly like that scene in Days of Thunder when Harry tells Cole to drive the lap, in an honest effort, Harry's way, and check out the tires at the end. they do, and Harry's lap produces unburned tires and a faster time. all pudding.

my own experience was just that: my own. it's that whole YMMV thing. however, when i compare the numbers, it's all there. my average power at threshold increased 15 watts in the first two months! that's nuts. and it continued to rise. of course, it just indicates that i was in winter shape and needed some serious kick in the pants to get going, but that improvement was encouraging, and went well beyond the watts. i rode more outside of the studio to make more of my time inside the studio. i gave my all in training, unlike any of the previous attempts. and i watched the numbers. not a ton of variables, so the numbers really give a lot to go on, and it was awesome.

those numbers you posted are impressive. i've never figured out what my watts would have done to mph, but those numbers look realistic for sure. it works.

giverdada
02-10-2012, 07:10 PM
maybe TMI, but this is my change from last year:

Test Summary
January 6, 2011 May 12, 2011
Lactate Threshold Power (Watts) 165 (est.) 190
Threshold/Bodyweight W/kg 2.2 2.57
Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (bpm) 142 146

dekindy
02-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Giverdada - How much of your increased fitness was due to your increased effort? Maybe it does not matter if the Computrainer was the tool/factor that caused you to make that extra effort?

giverdada
02-11-2012, 09:01 AM
well, i think it depends on how we define effort. as it was, i would go by heart rate and lactate threshold (physical responses to 'effort', quantified by numbers, lactate threshold being the more accurate - finger pricks involved). so effort aside, my body was working the same amount (heart rate) and putting out way more power (watts at threshold). maybe i'm confusing it all. but i think that's about how it works, and how power-based training works so well. some days i feel like crap and can't put out great watts. some days zone 5 feels like zone three and i'm slamming it. either way, the powermeter is constant-ish (calibration and tire pressure aside). maybe i did put up more effort in getting fit outside of the computrainer class, but i'd say that's another side of the same tool. and i like your perspective, dekindy, on winter: time to build and come out swinging in the spring. it usually feels like drudgery to me, but i'm working on thinking of it like you - opportunity for training. now it's -26 C and snowing. :crap: