PDA

View Full Version : Self extracting bolt tightness.

Ti_on_Steel
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I pulled my Shimano 9 Speed crankset with self extracting bolts off today and am now in the process of putting it back on. I don't have a big enough torque wrench to check the tension on the bolt, but about how tight should the crank bolts be? Thanks

54ny77
02-09-2012, 09:49 PM
crank till it don't move no more.

at least, that's what i did when i had the same.

turns out once i got me a wrench that measures such things, that equates to around ~50 fig newton meters.

dave thompson
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I pulled my Shimano 9 Speed crankset with self extracting bolts off today and am now in the process of putting it back on. I don't have a big enough torque wrench to check the tension on the bolt, but about how tight should the crank bolts be? Thanks
About 30~35 lbs-ft. Real tight. Make sure that everything is very well greased on the bolts, including the top and bottom faces of the bolt. The inside face of the dust cover and its theads also greased.

Louis
02-09-2012, 10:00 PM
When you release it The wrench should leave some mark on your hand, but it shouldn't hurt.

Look up what the torque should be (say, in in-lbs), divide by the approximate length of your wrench. (Not the total length from point of rotation to the end, but from point of rotation to about 1.5 inches before that, since you won't be applying the force at the absolute tip.) That will give you the max force you'll need to apply. Look at the number, then think about how what a 5 lb bag of sugar feels like, or whatever comes close to the number you need. Or go to your bathroom scale and press on that to see what the force feels like.

Then just get it in the ballpark. You'll be fine.

54ny77
02-09-2012, 10:26 PM
listen to what this man says, he knows more.

and his figures probably explain why i used to invent new curse words when romping on that oversized hex wrench. :crap:

things got so much easier with a beam tq. wrench and 1/2" socket adaptors... :beer:

About 30~35 lbs-ft. Real tight. Make sure that everything is very well greased on the bolts, including the top and bottom faces of the bolt. The inside face of the dust cover and its theads also greased.