PDA

View Full Version : VO2 testing

Straz
02-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I've been looking at doing a VO2 test for a couple years to identify my training zones more accurately than the standard 20 minute time trial. Several sports medicine clinics in my area offer it and at nearly $200 for the session, I have put it off.

A coworker has been in touch with an outfit that offers iMETT peak VO2 assesments. The rate for the test is less than half from a clinic. Does anyone have any experience with this testing procedure/equipment? Interested in knowing if it is comparable to what a sports medicine clinic would provide? The equipment manufacturers website is here: http://www.woodway.com/fitnessevaluation/imett.html

Tim

laupsi
02-09-2012, 03:34 PM
back in the day..., no really I have taken this test taken on 4 different occasions. first and foremost it is well worth the money if you're really going to put to use the information it provides.

second, it will be the most difficult 8-10 minutes you spend exercising. I did it at a local hospital in Maryland. I brought in my bike to use on their trainer. I was measured for body fat, VO2 Max., aerobic and aneaerobic thresholds, max HR and a few other details I have long forgotten.

the most memorable part for me was that the back of my throat became "raw" during every test due to the way the oxygen is collected through the mask. you will also slober all over yourself; don't be modest.

if done correctly this test will put a distinct and lasting memory in your collection of unpleasurable life episodes... sorry, but you did ask!

laupsi
02-09-2012, 03:36 PM
most important thought; don't do it on the cheap. the sports med folks know what they're doing and should offer you great training advice w/respect to your personal results.

Joachim
02-09-2012, 03:41 PM
If you want to do a test in the lab, I prefer lactate threshold testing with HR and power output. That will give you a better indicator of your "zones" than doing a VO2max test (unless you just want to know your VO2max).

Peter P.
02-09-2012, 07:02 PM
A single test is of very limited use. If you're prepared to test, train, then re-test to gauge any improvement, then I think you'll derive more benefit from such testing, but expect to pay for it.

Many training books have written procedures on at-home VO2/lactate threshold testing using the tools most cyclists already have, and it's highly accurate, repeatable, and cheap. I'd consider that option as well, at least to compare the results to fee-based services.

echappist
02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
If you want to do a test in the lab, I prefer lactate threshold testing with HR and power output. That will give you a better indicator of your "zones" than doing a VO2max test (unless you just want to know your VO2max).
this.

A single test is of very limited use. If you're prepared to test, train, then re-test to gauge any improvement, then I think you'll derive more benefit from such testing, but expect to pay for it.

Many training books have written procedures on at-home VO2/lactate threshold testing using the tools most cyclists already have, and it's highly accurate, repeatable, and cheap. I'd consider that option as well, at least to compare the results to fee-based services.
and this

-----

amateurs shouldn't be spending $$$ to get a VO2max test. The only one i have done was free of charge. You get tested 4 times a year, that's $300-600. You can get a wireless powertap (including head unit) for $625, and it'll have all the data you'll ever need.

laupsi
02-10-2012, 05:51 AM
interesting, my VO2 Max test provided me w/wattage info as well

also, yes I was an amateur, yes I found the info very helpful, done at the beginning and end of season. also, all pros were once amateurs.

Joachim
02-10-2012, 06:00 AM
interesting, my VO2 Max test provided me w/wattage info as well

also, yes I was an amateur, yes I found the info very helpful, done at the beginning and end of season. also, all pros were once amateurs.

Yes you can get wattage info with a vo2 max test and you should but its what is done with the information to determine zones. If they did not take blood from your finger or earlobe the determination of your threshold and the zones around it, are at best inferred.
Determining the lactate threshold through a more direct means ie blood collection at various stages during the incremental power test will give a better picture of your zones. They can still measure vo2 max at the end of the test.