PDA

View Full Version : Road-like carbon cross frame?

mistermo
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
I've been thinking about sticking my toe into the pool of carbon bikes. I like riding on a variety of terrain (pavement, gravel, dirt roads, etc), in all kinds of weather. I'd like to have the abilility to use 32-35c semi-knob tires, with some mud clearance.

However, I don't race cross and would prefer a more traditional road-like geometry and handling. Are there any all carbon bikes out there (that work with canti's/v brakes) that fit this description? Or is there a carbon cross bike that has manners that are more "road-like"?

I'm open to suggestions since nothing's come to mind.

eddief
02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
don't if will take the nobs, but maybe:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/cyclocross/cronus_cx/cronus_cx_ultimate/#/us/en/model/features?url=us/en/bikes/road/cyclocross/cronus_cx/cronus_cx_ultimate

buldogge
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Calfee Tetra Cyclocross/Adventure Frame Option maybe???

-Mark in St. Louis

fourflys
02-09-2012, 06:23 PM
one of the reasons I got the Ibis is because it's supposed to be pretty good for dirt road riding and still be plenty raceable if needed...

jwb96
02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Not from experience, but I have the same requirements and have all but settled on the Cronus. It will handle the 35 studded I run in winter . . . think the clearance was something like 42s.

rnhood
02-09-2012, 07:25 PM
I will third the Cronus. Its a nice well constructed carbon bike with a spirited feel and superb stiffness in the BB. You can run wide tires and fenders and still have a very light weight bike. The Calfee option is good also and I believe the Luna is on sale, built with Sram Apex for $3600.

The Cronus is CX but, the Luna can be spec'd for wide tire clearance. I recommend going with this option if you really want road geometry. I've owned a Calfee and they are top shelf.

c-record
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Shameless plug but I'm selling my frame from this season. A Stevens CX Carbon Team. 56cm. I really like the bike, raced one last season as well. Had many comments from people that it sprints like a road bike. I do think that many CX bikes are getting pretty quick in the steering compared to a few years ago, the Stevens is a little more stable. I've also been on Bianchi Cross Concept Carbons for the past few seasons (racing multiple categories and backup bikes etc.) and the Stevens is a bit stiffer when on the gas.

Also heard great things on the Ibis.

mistermo
02-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I can't seem to find the geometry/sizing for the Trek Croni. I'm probably blind? Help!

I like the Ibis' and my interest in them is what's propelled me deeper into this subject. However, with the high BB, I wasn't sure how they'd perform in road use.

Calfee's are great, no doubt. This would be my first ever carbon rig and I'm not sure I want to go full bore on my first taste.

Steven's are nice too. I assumed they were a full on cross race rig (seen lots at the Verge New England series), and less of a road bike. A second look at their geometry shows they're not as crazy as some others.

I posed this same question in another forum and a few have suggested the Redline Conquest Carbon. Interesting.
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/cyclocross/2012-conquest-carbon-team

fourflys
02-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I like the Ibis' and my interest in them is what's propelled me deeper into this subject. However, with the high BB, I wasn't sure how they'd perform in road use.

not sure yet either... but any cross bike will have a higher BB... I'd be curious to see what the difference is between the Lugi and something like a Roubaix in BB height? many of the current cross bikes have lower BB's than years prior...

ahumblecycler
02-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Look at the Cannondale SuperX. If I had to own one bike, I would build it up with this frameset. I had the pleasure to ride one last fall, and I still wonder if I should have said screw it and bought it on the spot.

astaft
02-10-2012, 09:29 AM
I think the BB drop on the Cdales is 67mm or so, Ibis is around 63 (depending on size).

Look at the Cannondale SuperX. If I had to own one bike, I would build it up with this frameset. I had the pleasure to ride one last fall, and I still wonder if I should have said screw it and bought it on the spot.

fourflys
02-10-2012, 09:52 AM
for a comparison in BB heights: (I tired to keep like sizes)
Specialized Roubaix 54cm- BB drop is 71.5mm
Ibis Hakkalugi 53cm- BB drop is 64mm
Cannondale SuperX 54cm- BB drop is 67mm

so there is a maximum difference of 7.5mm difference between the road bike and the Hakkalugi, the Cdale splits the difference... I have no idea what 7.5mm difference would have on handling though... my guess is the road bike would be a bit more stable descending? of course there are other factors that would affect this as well...

Maybe Dave Kirk could weigh in...

BTW- all the other geo specs were pretty close between the Ibis and the Roubaix... the angles were pretty close with the Roubaix having a bit shorter chainstays (15cm)...

mistermo
02-10-2012, 10:02 AM
A "typical" road BB height is 7cm. That Redline I mentioned has a 7cm BB height.

I've got a Steelman Eurocross, that has a high BB/low drop and [in my view] handles better than most all road bikes I've ridden. I've also got a Lemond Poprad, that has a 7cm BB drop. While the handling of the Lemond is nice enough, I still think the Steelman with it's high BB is better. I rented a carbon LOOK XXX this summer and even with it's lower BB, I thought it handled poorly (too squirelly on the descent of Ventoux). All of this is subjective, of course.

I agree that BB heights are important, but based on my experiences, it's not the ultimate predictor of how a cross bike will "feel" on the road. I'm happy to hear from higher authorities on this.

fourflys
02-10-2012, 10:07 AM
it makes sense the Eurocross would have a higher BB... my understanding is the Euro bikes historically had high BB's and then once the US courses got flatter and faster, the BB's started to get lower...

I thought I understood a higher BB would make the bike more maneuverable, but maybe a little less stable descending... but I'm not sure so I'd love to hear from others as well...

BTW-I'm sure the Redline would be a great bike, the guy in charge of the cross division is an accomplished cross racer and knows his stuff (Tim Rutledge)...

mistermo
02-10-2012, 10:12 AM
for a comparison in BB heights: (I tired to keep like sizes)
Specialized Roubaix 54cm- BB drop is 71.5mm
Ibis Hakkalugi 53cm- BB drop is 64mm
Cannondale SuperX 54cm- BB drop is 67mm

so there is a maximum difference of 7.5mm difference between the road bike and the Hakkalugi, the Cdale splits the difference... I have no idea what 7.5mm difference would have on handling though... my guess is the road bike would be a bit more stable descending? of course there are other factors that would affect this as well...

Maybe Dave Kirk could weigh in...

BTW- all the other geo specs were pretty close between the Ibis and the Roubaix... the angles were pretty close with the Roubaix having a bit shorter chainstays (15cm)...

More to add to the collection:
C'dale SuperX 67mm (all sizes)
Stevens Team 65mm (54cm)
Focus Mares CX 70mm (all sizes)
BH RX-1 60mm (54cm)

I can't find the geo on the Cronus.

eddief
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=27754&cat=

mistermo
02-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I thought I understood a higher BB would make the bike more maneuverable, but maybe a little less stable descending...
That's exactly what I thought too, but the Eurocross contradicts that description.

Steelman uses another trick which may explain this, I dunno. Rather than a typical cross fork's axle to crown height of 39.5cm, my Steelman Eurocross has a fork a2c of around 37cm.

mistermo
02-10-2012, 10:20 AM
What size do you need?

Thanks. I'm 6'2" and need something in the 58-61 range, with a 58ish TT.

fourflys
02-10-2012, 10:50 AM
More to add to the collection:
C'dale SuperX 67mm (all sizes)
Stevens Team 65mm (54cm)
Focus Mares CX 70mm (all sizes)
BH RX-1 60mm (54cm)

I can't find the geo on the Cronus.

wow, that Focus has a super low BB for a cross bike! I looked at the Focus bikes before I decided on the Ibis and thought the rest of the geos were a bit too aggressive for what I wanted...

astaft
02-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I think the Speedvagen Cross has a 70mm drop also.

flickwet
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Don't even think about it, the Ibis has all the little things you want in a non-race cross bike, including raceability. Its gotta history, its swag, it handles its practical, that Black lung color bare naked carbon so effin gorgeous, but then so is the snot really yellow. I mean, the hand job? come on! its the greatest. In the meantime you enjoy it whilst I putter about on my Cross-Check which in the summer I use to anchor my boat. Actually I do like it; carrying it up and down the steps of my office is great for upper body workouts.

fourflys
02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
In the meantime you enjoy it whilst I putter about on my Cross-Check which in the summer I use to anchor my boat. Actually I do like it; carrying it up and down the steps of my office is great for upper body workouts.

main reason I sold my Salsa Vaya... very cool idea and with better wheels I might have been able to shave some weight, but...