PDA

View Full Version : Who owns Paceline?

slowgoing
02-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Just curious who owns this new forum. Does Serotta still own it, or has it been sold (not to Specialized, I hope)? If it has been sold to a legal entity we haven't heard of before, who are the owners/shareholders of the new entity?

dekindy
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Would also like to know what the game plan and budget is that we would be supporting with our donations?

fiamme red
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I've heard rumors that as soon as the acquisition of Paceline by the Backcountry/Bonktown/Chainlove/CompetitiveCyclist family is legally complete, this will become known as the "Merlin Metalworks Forum."

;) :p :)

67-59
02-09-2012, 01:50 PM
In addition to knowing who/what we would be supporting with our donations, how would it work if voluntary donations aren't enough, and a mandatory fee gets added later? Would I, as a donor, get credit for the $$ I've already chosen to give, or would I get stuck with the same bill as everyone else?

echelon_john
02-09-2012, 02:01 PM
seriously?

In addition to knowing who/what we would be supporting with our donations, how would it work if voluntary donations aren't enough, and a mandatory fee gets added later? Would I, as a donor, get credit for the $$ I've already chosen to give, or would I get stuck with the same bill as everyone else?

67-59
02-09-2012, 02:06 PM
seriously?

Yes, seriously. Until I win the lottery and/or my kids get through college, it actually matters how much money I spend and where I spend it. Must be nice not to have any $$ concerns.

Chad Engle
02-09-2012, 02:06 PM
No one is forced to be here, read here, post here or contribute here.

Relax, do any or all of the above for your own enjoyment.

:beer:

67-59
02-09-2012, 02:11 PM
No one is forced to be here, read here, post here or contribute here.

Relax, do any or all of the above for your own enjoyment.

I get that. I like being here, and am considering a contribution as long as I have some understanding of what that means. I just don't want to do what I consider the right thing by making a contribution, and then find out that many others were freeloading so the contributions weren't enough...and then get stuck with the same bill as the freeloaders to stay here.

Fishbike
02-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I've heard rumors that as soon as the acquisition of Paceline by the Backcountry/Bonktown/Chainlove/CompetitiveCyclist family is legally complete, this will become known as the "Merlin Metalworks Forum."

;) :p :)

Made me laugh!

jr59
02-09-2012, 02:24 PM
I get that. I like being here, and am considering a contribution as long as I have some understanding of what that means. I just don't want to do what I consider the right thing by making a contribution, and then find out that many others were freeloading so the contributions weren't enough...and then get stuck with the same bill as the freeloaders to stay here.

Then don't! :crap:

As far as I know, This is a free forum. Nobody has been asked to pay for anything.

I like it here, I like most of the posters here. And when they figure out where I am to send $$, I'll gladly do it!

To me it'd a good cause. This place helps me in to many ways to count. From learning about new stuff, and new places to ride, to getting a "deal" on buying stuff that I don't need...errrr.....I mean REALLY need!

There have been more than a few times in my life when a few bucks made a huge difference. Now is not one of them, and I can pay a small amount,if for nothing else just to be entertained.

I could care less who owns it. As long as it has the good people here, that are on here now, who cares! I hope they become millionaries. :beer:

Just tell me where you want my check!

Nooch
02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

You've spent enough time here (since 2004) (and I think this was what EJ meant by "seriously?") to understand that 1) it's not in the culture of this place to just freeload, everyone will probably give what they feel they can give, and 2) it's not in the culture of the management to screw anyone -- I'm sure they'll be fair if and when that's necessary.

at least that's how I feel about this place and the people here..

dave thompson
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
That's potentially true of any forum that solicits donations. Some make it on ads (RBR) and others make it on charges that allow the poster access to certain areas of the forum or allow for sale posts (BikeForums.net)

On this forum, at least you "know" the moderators and a large percentage of the forum members.

I don't think anyone here is planning on buying a condo in Cabo with member donations.

mistermo
02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
If you make a donation, you'll get a stock certificate. Someday Paceline will go public and you'll be rolling in it. Think of it as an investment.

jr59
02-09-2012, 02:35 PM
If you make a donation, you'll get a stock certificate. Someday Paceline will go public and you'll be rolling in it. Think of it as an investment.

I wonder if that certificate will be printed on a scrape piece of handlebra? :banana: SWEET!

echelon_john
02-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Exactly. Well put, Drew.

We've gone from an environment graciously hosted by Serotta, to one with the same volunteer 'team' in place which must now support its own upkeep and hosting financially. I'm sure it will be a work in progress; if you would rather wait and see how it all shakes out before donating, that's cool. If you want to kick in a few bucks to help this thing along now, also cool. Neither action is wrong, and there are enough folks here that if we all give a little, now or later, then the happy ship Paceline will keep right on sailing.

No need to feel threatened or scammed.

You've spent enough time here (since 2004) (and I think this was what EJ meant by "seriously?") to understand that 1) it's not in the culture of this place to just freeload, everyone will probably give what they feel they can give, and 2) it's not in the culture of the management to screw anyone -- I'm sure they'll be fair if and when that's necessary.

at least that's how I feel about this place and the people here..

torquer
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
I've heard rumors that as soon as the acquisition of Paceline by the Backcountry/Bonktown/Chainlove/CompetitiveCyclist family is legally complete, ...
Bit of thread drift, but I was wondering, if corporations are people (as the Supremes and at least one candidate would have it), are they free to marry any other corporation, or do restrictions apply?

BumbleBeeDave
02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Give it a rest. Read the donation statement sticky. We're stil ltrying to get organized and we're not tring to rip anyone off!

The donation button goes to a PayPal account that goes to Keith for the moment until we can get fiancials straightened out. And guess what? . . . I TRUST KEITH. He's not going out and spending this on surfboard wax!

We have not even been online for three days yet!

No fees are planned. No one is required to donate anything. There is no suggested donation amount. Donate now if you like or wait until later. Any donations are strictly voluntary.

BBD

SPOKE
02-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Why is it so difficult to answer the OP's question of ownership?

Keith A
02-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Why is it so difficult to answer the OP's question of ownership?I guess the best answer is that the group of moderators that were in place under the Serotta forum now own the forum. That is we are paying for the hosting service, the vBulletin software that the forum uses and the domain name. Specifically Ray of Handlebra has been the primary financial support in getting this off the ground. We are looking at options of forming a more official group (whatever that entails) for The Paceline.net.

slowgoing
02-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks, Keith and to all of the moderators for doing this. And also thanks to Ray at Handlebra for the financial help. I will keep this in mind next time I'm shopping for bar tape.

weisan
02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Any tom dick and harry can own a house...but only a few truly made it into a home.

Who owns it?

The people here who made it their home.

jlwdm
02-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Why is it so difficult to answer the OP's question of ownership?

Seems pretty clearly answered in the numerous threads already.

Jeff

sc53
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I guess the best answer is that the group of moderators that were in place under the Serotta forum now own the forum. That is we are paying for the hosting service, the vBulletin software that the forum uses and the domain name. Specifically Ray of Handlebra has been the primary financial support in getting this off the ground. We are looking at options of forming a more official group (whatever that entails) for The Paceline.net.
Oh wow! That Handlebra stuff must really be selling!
Thanks Ray!! :banana:

nahtnoj
02-09-2012, 04:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

gdw
02-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that the Koch brothers are the actual money behind The Paceline?

Ahneida Ride
02-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Who owns the Fed central bank ?

Ahneida Ride
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that the Koch brothers are the actual money behind The Paceline?

YES ! I just purchase a 911 Turbo !

johnmdesigner
02-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I think the Mods could make a fortune if they would auction off one of BBDave's Zebra suits.

Unwashed of course. :D

SPOKE
02-09-2012, 05:05 PM
I guess the best answer is that the group of moderators that were in place under the Serotta forum now own the forum. That is we are paying for the hosting service, the vBulletin software that the forum uses and the domain name. Specifically Ray of Handlebra has been the primary financial support in getting this off the ground. We are looking at options of forming a more official group (whatever that entails) for The Paceline.net.

Thank you Keith.

BumbleBeeDave
02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
YES ! I just purchase a 911 Turbo !

. . . borrow it?

BBD

67-59
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Just so people get my intent: I love the way this forum has been run. As someone noted, I have been here since 2004 - and this is the only message board I've been coming back to so long. And I have no reason to mistrust the mods, or inpute any malice or ill will to them.

The sole reason I asked was to make sure - as best I can - that I'd be contributing to something that the people in charge intend to keep as much like its been as possible, and to make sure I donate an amount I can afford (and justify to the missus, who already thinks I spend too much time here, and too much money on cycling stuff). I WANT to donate what I can, even though my financial resources are somewhat constrained.

Sorry that my questions offended or were misunderstood by some, and thanks to those who answered as best they can.

Louis
02-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Personally, I think we should all piss and moan about any and all details we can think of, to the point where the mods, who have been generous enough to give first their time and now their money to this little community of ours, just throw up their hands and walk out, leaving us with nothing.

rounder
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
The mods have been great. Loved the old Serotta forum. So far, like the new forum even more.

roguedog
02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I agree w/ Louis.

Ray - thank you for your contribution and helping this place live on. i will def put handlebra.

Mods, et al - thank you for your time and efforts to keep the machine humming.

Dekonick
02-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Will we still use the forums.thepaceline.net or will it change?

I vote for Paceline.xxx We could even have live streaming webcams of bikes to pay... oh. Guess that won't work ;)

Keith A
02-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Will we still use the forums.thepaceline.net or will it change?

I vote for Paceline.xxx We could even have live streaming webcams of bikes to pay... oh. Guess that won't work ;)Both www.thepaceline.net and forums.thepaceline.net work now as does forums.thepaceline.net. I need to figure out a why to replace all the references to forums.thepaceline.net in the database and once I work that out we will phase out the serotta URL.

Louis
02-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I vote for Paceline.xxx

I'm liking this forum more and more, every day...

http://static5.depositphotos.com/1000688/529/i/450/dep_5294787-Sexy-girl-with-bicycle.jpg

rounder
02-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Then what. We no longer identify with Serrota? Just wondering...can't we become some sort of subsididiary/affiliate brand that still has associations, standards, etc. with Serotta, or are we now on our own.

54ny77
02-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Keyser Soze owns the PACELINE.

It would be wise to not speak ill of the PACELINE.

Louis
02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
or are we now on our own.

Yes. Adrift in the world, for better or worse.

Louis
02-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Keyser Soze owns the PACELINE.

"Usual Suspects" - One of my favorite movies of all time.

Bruce K
02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
We are on our own. Independent. Frame it however you want.

Many of us here feel a certain loyalty to Serotta as we are long time and/or multiple Serotta owners. So in that regard I guess there will always be a bit of a connection to Serotta.

We all appreciate what Ben has done for this forum, this community, this group of crazies in funding, hosting, and supporting this place for years as well as all the events he hosted, promoted, or supported that brought us all together.

So technically and (I guess) officially there is no connection (other than the click through above right), there are still lots of warm and fuzzy feelings towards Ben, the company, and the many folks who made this a place that a whole bunch of us wanted to see continue.

BK

67-59
02-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Personally, I think we should all piss and moan about any and all details we can think of, to the point where the mods, who have been generous enough to give first their time and now their money to this little community of ours, just throw up their hands and walk out, leaving us with nothing.

Nice follow up to someone explaining that their motives were misunderstood, and not in the least bit intended to offend or be malicious. Really nice...and a friendly contribution to the discussion.

Louis
02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Nice follow up to someone explaining that their motives were misunderstood, and not in the least bit intended to offend or be malicious.

He was hardly the only one.

Really nice...and a friendly contribution to the discussion.

Thanks. :)

Keith A
02-09-2012, 09:34 PM
And to add what Bruce has stated, we wish the very best for Ben and company that they will have much success as they move forward in this challenging economy.

Bruce K
02-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Let's all just chill a bit.

I know it was a full moon and all, and it is the middle of winter (where's the white stuff?), but come on guys, please ??? :rolleyes: :crap: :confused: :D

I'm headed for bed. My 6th graders are getting a math test tomorrow plus we are wrapping up studies of stresses in Earth's crust and how they create earthquakes and I need all the energy I can muster. :banana:

BK

54ny77
02-09-2012, 09:47 PM
There really ought to be a section called, "Cramps."

You could sell targeted advertising space to Midol for its frequent participants: previously good "General Discussion" threads that started sounding like Joy Behar on meth and got subsequently moved.

That'll pay for your servers...and then some!

:banana:

Ahneida Ride
02-09-2012, 09:52 PM
And to add what Bruce has stated, we wish the very best for Ben and company that they will have much success as they move forward in this challenging economy.

I second that ! Thanks Ben for all the support thru out the years.

54ny77
02-09-2012, 10:52 PM
"Thanks. I'm trying. I'm really, really trying. No, really, I am."

http://peakwatch.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452403c69e2014e604eecdc970c-800wi

...we wish the very best for Ben and company that they will have much success as they move forward in this challenging economy.

Louis
02-09-2012, 10:53 PM
"Thanks. I'm trying."

Don't get Ray started on this one...

Jack Brunk
02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
the paceline forum is attached to the Serotta web site. Will it be severed soon?

Louis
02-09-2012, 11:26 PM
the paceline forum is attached to the Serotta web site. Will it be severed soon?

I think I saw a post somewhere that said "Yes," as soon as they switch all the forums.Serotta references buried in the code to Paceline.

BumbleBeeDave
02-10-2012, 05:49 AM

We are The Paceline . . . that is the new name of the forum and it makes perfect sense to me to have a URL that matches. I just don't get all this brouhaha.

Serotta the company has gone through a rough stretch recently--just like MANY companies in this economy. They are changing the way they do business to adapt to the new reality--just like MANY companies in this economy. They may succeed or may not--just like MANY companies in this economy.

The ONLY thing constant in this world is change. We asked Ben if we could go out on our own and he said yes. So we have. We wish him the very best of luck. I personally think they will be fine. It's going to take a little time. But it will be OK.

BBD

Elefantino
02-10-2012, 06:10 AM
We are The Paceline . . .
We are the cyclists
We are the ones who buy our tape from Ray
So let's stop bitching
There's a choice we're making
We're changing our URL
Its true we're not Serotta's place
So go to ... across the hall.

http://globalhiphopbattles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/We-are-the-world-1.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Smiley
02-10-2012, 06:37 AM
none of you knows of the hard work folks like Keith A and BB Dave as well as the other mods have put in to get us all to this lovely place called the Paceline.
I for one am thankfull that a bunch of guys have taken MANY hours of their time and had the fortitude to pull this off. I will send in frns to donate once Ray will take checks and I will support commercially the forum through an ad for Bedford frames. I will help out additionally as much as I can to keep the lights on just like I know many of you posters will do. This place belongs to all of us and thats what makes it really Special.
I see many more gatherings and functions and jerseys in the horizon, we are still in the infancy of the good things that will happen. Enjoy the ride :banana:

Elefantino
02-10-2012, 06:41 AM
none of you knows of the hard work folks like Keith A and BB Dave as well as the other mods have put in to get us all to this lovely place called the Paceline.
I for one am thankfull that a bunch of guys have taken MANY hours of their time and had the fortitude to pull this off. I will send in frns to donate once Ray will take checks and I will support commercially the forum through an ad for Bedford frames. I will help out additionally as much as I can to keep the lights on just like I know many of you posters will do. This place belongs to all of us and thats what makes it really Special.
I see many more gatherings and functions and jerseys in the horizon, we are still in the infancy of the good things that will happen. Enjoy the ride :banana:
I like it ...

The Paceline ... Enjoy the rideŽ

William
02-10-2012, 07:15 AM

http://www.lorinbellerblake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/celebrate2-300x225.jpg

:cool: :beer:

William

Keith A
02-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I like it ...

The Paceline ... Enjoy the rideŽThat's really good :)

67-59
02-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Smiley - thanks for this post. I truly don't understand the hard work it's taken to get us here, and regret that my posts in this thread yesterday we're viewed by some as critical of this forum, or the moderators' efforts. I'd like to add my thanks for their hard work, and again apologize for how my posts may have been perceived.

Thanks to the mods...and to all of you for helping to make this such a great community!

Smiley
02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Smiley - thanks for this post. I truly don't understand the hard work it's taken to get us here, and regret that my posts in this thread yesterday we're viewed by some as critical of this forum, or the moderators' efforts. I'd like to add my thanks for their hard work, and again apologize for how my posts may have been perceived.

Thanks to the mods...and to all of you for helping to make this such a great community!

I spoke to SPOKE who started this thread and explained everything that transpired and HONESTLY in all the calls and e-mails that transpired between the moderators we never thought WHO owned the Forum cause in all our minds we always figured it belonged to all of us because without everybody here the domain would be worth ZILCH. We needed to act fast and have our ducts in a row when working with Serotta to get this done in such a timely manner.

Now if you want to THANK anybody for kicking this ball down the road I would say Serotta Pete started the whole thing and then it just snowballed from there. In time I am sure there will be more opportunities for all to volunteer and participate with running this place but we need time and some funds so as not to burden Ray or the Mods with all the bills that will be comming. Good things comming down the road for sure and THIS PLACE WILL BE THE PLACE TO BE IF YOUR A CYCLIST. Trust in that cause we are very lucky to have BBDave, BruceK, SoCal Steve, Flydhest, KeithA, AheindaRide, Smiley and our new inhouse Counsel (Yeah a Lawyer).

Nobody on our end has taken offense to anything said or implied, Lets enjoy our new home here. Thanks Smiley

Louis
02-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I spoke to SPOKE who started this thread and explained everything that transpired ...

Spoke = Slowgoing ?

Edited my post. See below for clarification.

Climb01742
02-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Spoke = Slowgoing ?

no, two different members, about 3000 miles apart, actually.

Louis
02-10-2012, 07:28 PM
no, two different members, about 3000 miles apart, actually.

In that case Smiley's post doesn't make any sense to me.

eddief
02-10-2012, 07:46 PM
and this is where we meet. isn't that perfectly clear?

Bruce K
02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Any Occupy references will be considered political content !!!!! :crap: :rolleyes: :no: :hello: :banana:

BK

Smiley
02-10-2012, 08:17 PM

well I guess I should have said string #18 in this thread. I know SPOKE and we talk alot and that is why I value this place. I just wanted him as well others now to know.

Louis
02-10-2012, 08:21 PM
well I guess I should have said string #18 in this thread.

OK - makes sense now. :)

retrogrouchy
02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
I spoke to SPOKE who started this thread and explained everything that transpired and HONESTLY in all the calls and e-mails that transpired between the moderators we never thought WHO owned the Forum cause in all our minds we always figured it belonged to all of us because without everybody here the domain would be worth ZILCH. We needed to act fast and have our ducts in a row when working with Serotta to get this done in such a timely manner.

Now if you want to THANK anybody for kicking this ball down the road I would say Serotta Pete started the whole thing and then it just snowballed from there. In time I am sure there will be more opportunities for all to volunteer and participate with running this place but we need time and some funds so as not to burden Ray or the Mods with all the bills that will be comming. Good things comming down the road for sure and THIS PLACE WILL BE THE PLACE TO BE IF YOUR A CYCLIST. Trust in that cause we are very lucky to have BBDave, BruceK, SoCal Steve, Flydhest, KeithA, AheindaRide, Smiley and our new inhouse Counsel (Yeah a Lawyer).

Nobody on our end has taken offense to anything said or implied, Lets enjoy our new home here. Thanks Smiley

That's nice, but someone (or some legal entity) owns the domain name and the brand. That's all 67-59 wanted to know, really. I think the answer has been indirectly given, sorta-kinda, at this point, but no direct response was received, that I've seen, anyways. Whatever. Carry on.