PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Don't you just love CL?

mvrider
02-09-2012, 09:05 AM
This is a note I got in response to a CL ad for a non-cycling item:

Hi,
Am glad it's available. I'm going on a business trip to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 5 - 7 business days. I'll add $30 extra for the delay. I can only pay via money order or cahier check as am going on a business trip now so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment. Awaiting your info.
Thanks

On the other hand, the responses I've received for another CL for a bike have been way cool so far, mostly focused on sizing.

bambam
02-09-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm a skeptic but I would meet them somewhere with the item and exchange it that way. If someone is coming to pick it up why can't they bring the money with them at that time? Are they gonna take you address and rob you while the check is suppose to be mailed?
Good Luck!

Nooch
02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
love a good, old fashioned nigerian scam..

Louis
02-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Ask them if they also need your SS#, birthdate, and bank account info.

veloduffer
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Any time I post something for sale, I get these same emails. I think most are sent through gmail.

On my most recent posting, I think I got about 8 of these with different email addresses, but all gmail.com

Just ignore and they go away.

Chad Engle
02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I say have some fun with them. Send made up info and see how the game progresses.

Arrange for the meeting and choke slam whoever shows up. Unless it's and elderly person, that would be wrong.

mistermo
02-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Be careful. I know a guy who was meeting someone to buy a Colnago. They met at a rest area, no Colnago, they pulled a gun, and his cash was gone. Always meet at a public place.

Nooch
02-09-2012, 02:27 PM
I think most are sent through gmail.

Man, remember when gmail used to be invite only.... used to be nice..

Chad Engle
02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Be careful. I know a guy who was meeting someone to buy a Colnago. They met at a rest area, no Colnago, they pulled a gun, and his cash was gone. Always meet at a public place.

Good point. Let's be careful out there.

54ny77
02-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Whoa, never thought of that one. Excellent point.

toaster
02-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Some people must respond or these scams would have disappeared along time ago.

Kontact
02-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Or bring your own gun.

tele
02-10-2012, 05:57 AM
here's a response I got this morning for an ad I posted for ski stuff:

Is your piece still around? Umm...this might be strange but you sound extremely hot in your posting. Do you want to hang out sometimes? I promise I'm not a weirdo, just feeling alone. If you're interested, meet me on my exclusive dating profile (it's like facebook for grownups), there's no cost to sign up! My pix and my phone # are all on there so get in touch with me. There are too many scammers on here so if you're real text me and maybe we can meet to become buddies and maybe more? Who knows? Okay, I won't bother you again! You'll be shocked to see what I look like! :)

if anyone wants "her" email or website, pm me.

BumbleBeeDave
02-10-2012, 06:00 AM

. . . but in today's world, this guy does not sound too smart.

BBD