PDA

View Full Version : Verdict is in: Ullrich doped

tsarpepe
02-09-2012, 07:10 AM
And another one bites the dust (not that anyone had any illusions about it)

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/7557591/jan-ullrich-banned-two-years-stripped-2005-tour-third-place

ultraman6970
02-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Why he did not get a retroactive sentence like contador?? because he did not get a provisional ban or something from the begining?????

IMO they screw him up, the guy retired and now after 10 years they decide what to do, really dumb way to do things if you ask me, maybe they were afraid of a comeback???

The same with the chicken back few years ago, for the record he failed to tell them where he was but that doesn't mean he doped (after years he confessed he was cheating his wife), but the whole world was thrown over him, this two I won't understand. Another victim of the system for me.

LegendRider
02-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Red Kite Prayer said they're going to take on the Lindbergh kidnapping next.

gone
02-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Next up: Indurain. Then Merckx. Then Anquetil. Then ....

Just dumb.

goonster
02-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Why he did not get a retroactive sentence like contador??
It is retroactive, they have stripped him of his '05 TdF podium spot.

The same with the chicken back few years ago, for the record he failed to tell them where he was but that doesn't mean he doped
This is different. CAS has ruled that there is sufficient evidence that Ullrich was part of the Fuentes program, so that makes his case more like Basso's than Rasmussen's.

ultraman6970
02-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Ok but that doesnt make his free to race?? the stuff happened 7 years ago and now he is getting 2... math doesnt match to me, probably i'm missing something.

It is retroactive, they have stripped him of his '05 TdF podium spot.

This is different. CAS has ruled that there is sufficient evidence that Ullrich was part of the Fuentes program, so that makes his case more like Basso's than Rasmussen's.

goonster
02-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Ok but that doesnt make his free to race?? the stuff happened 7 years ago and now he is getting 2... math doesnt match to me, probably i'm missing something.
Sorry, you're right, it's not a straight-up retroactive ban. I agree, it is an unusual ruling in many ways, and I am sure they considered the fact that he has been retired for some years. The ban will hardly affect his pro racing prospects, but means he can't be employed by a UCI-licensed team.

Interesting that they declined to ban him for life, although he is a repeat offender. His prior ban for recreational drugs is judged not to be a doping offense.

There is an increasing conflict between sporting law and civil/criminal law, which is one of the main reasons for this preposterously long appeals process. Not just in cycling either, as there have been some high-profile cases in soccer recently (e.g. FC Sion).

d.vader123
02-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Wow...cycling is such a mess. I know other sports have cheaters, but this is ridiculous.

bambam
02-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Whatever happend to Rassmusen. I haven't heard of him since his team was pulled out of the TDF?

Fixed
02-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Maurice Garin i just heard is banned for life also so sad
cheers

mvrider
02-09-2012, 09:08 AM
http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2012/02/08/husband-of-champion-french-cyclist-jeannie-longo-arrested-in-police-drug-probe/

No evidence that Longo partook, but still...

bostondrunk
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Ulrich is still one of my favorite pro riders of all time. :beer:

gone
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Whatever happend to Rassmusen. I haven't heard of him since his team was pulled out of the TDF?

Last I heard he was racing for a continental team and suing Rabobank.

Dekonick
02-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Me too. He seems like a genuine fellow - someone you could drink a few beers and hang out with.

It seems pretty obvious to me that just about all of the top cyclists dope. I don't see how they can ride like they do without some help...

From another perspective, I will take anything my doctor advises me to use to maintain my health. This includes many drugs, vitamins, etc... some of which would get me a ban from any form of competition. In some ways, the UCI and other sport governing bodies are out of touch with science and reality. It is going to become harder and harder to detect and prevent 'enhancements' be they chemical, genetic, or environmental. Either way, it is fun to watch the pros in any sport do their thing.

No answers here - I do not delude myself and realize that they are all in a 'program' of sorts... some are just much better at it than others...

:beer: :no: :crap: :banana: :bike: :hello: :D :cool: :rolleyes:

67-59
02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Better run and get a urine sample from Mancebo now...you know, since he's now being photoshopped into the 2005 Tour podium photos.

:rolleyes:

ultraman6970
02-09-2012, 03:13 PM
He is racing for christina watches and suing his old team. This is one of the things i still can comprehend, he was not punished for drugs but because he did not said where he was (lied) no team wanted him. Wonder if nobody liked him at all and pretty much this was the excuse for everybody to get him out.

He was way more funny to see than the shipwrecks and complained way less also.

Last I heard he was racing for a continental team and suing Rabobank.

avalonracing
02-09-2012, 03:16 PM
It seems like Lance is the only top rider of the era who didn't. And he was faster than the dopers too.

tsarpepe
02-09-2012, 03:41 PM
It seems like Lance is the only top rider of the era who didn't. And he was faster than the dopers too.

Sure :rolleyes:

tiretrax
02-09-2012, 04:32 PM
If they banned all dopers for life, then they couldn't work in the sport. Cycling teams would have to recruit from pro bowling to get managers, DS's, etc.

There was a good article on Rasmussen in a recent edition of Rouleur. He seems like the Danish Floyd Landiss.

jpw
02-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Well, if Jan doped and finished 3rd in 2005 what were the 2nd and 1st riders on?

ultraman6970
02-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Ask LA :D

Elefantino
02-09-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED.

http://movieactors.com/photos/casablanca145.jpeg

christian
02-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Elefantino, I love it! That should be the standard reply for all doping threads henceforth.

BigDaddySmooth
02-10-2012, 07:24 AM

I think of the main competitors during the era, Ullrich, Basso, Pantani, Heras and many others. If they had to dope to keep up, I have some bit of skepticism that the performance gap was really that great.

Is Evans the only other Tour winner since 1996 who didn't dope?

tiretrax
02-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Or so it seems for now .....

tiretrax
02-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Despite the logic and what one might think and suspect about Lance, there's still no irrefutable proof, so he still has to be given the benefit of the doubt.

54ny77
02-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Jimi Hendrix doped too, but he played better music than Jan Hammer so it was ok.

Tom
02-10-2012, 10:22 AM
This just in: Francisco Franco is still dead.

PQJ
02-10-2012, 10:53 AM

Sastre. Although I wouldn't be altogether surprised if I learned otherwise.

christian
02-10-2012, 11:02 AM
I assumed he meant "other than Sastre." What else could "other" mean?

Elefantino
02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
This just in: Francisco Franco is still dead.
So is Timothy Leary.

Germany_chris
02-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Jan..is my favorite he put everything into every race and let it show..He had a passion for racing bicycles...

Every time one one of these doping scandals/verdicts come out I don't lose respect for the men I lose respect for the sport..

jpw
02-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Despite the logic and what one might think and suspect about Lance, there's still no irrefutable proof, so he still has to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Like OJ?

wc1934
02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
but he is sorry

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field

tiretrax
02-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Like OJ?
That's our system, like it or not. OJ was found liable and is still working to pay the judgment to the Goldman family.

http://cyclismas.com/2012/02/cartoons-from-eric-interview-with-jan-ullrich/

tele
02-11-2012, 06:05 AM
anyone who loved beer and brats and had trouble maintaining a ridiculous weight is good in my book!

Now the Germans want the Big Diesel out of Gran Fondos: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ullrichs-explanation-met-with-disappointment-in-germany

LET IT GO