PDA

View Full Version : Gift for Ben?

slowgoing
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Would anyone be interested in participating in getting a gift for Ben, like an engraved plaque that he can hang in his office, to thank him for hosting us for all of these years?

If you have any ideas other than a plaque, please offer them up!

dave thompson
02-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Great idea. I'm in.

CaptStash
02-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Sounds like a good plan. I'll pony up a few sheckels as well.

texbike
02-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm in! Let us know how much...

However, I'm sure he'd prefer that a few of us would buy a new Meivici to thank him for his hospitality. :)

Texbike

Dekonick
02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
I like the idea - if everyone gave even $1 it would easily buy something nice. More if folks give more.

Count me in! Same for a donation to the forum (esp for unlimited PM's...)

Fixed
02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
cool let me know where to send it
cheers

jlwdm
02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
For sure.

Jeff

junkfood
02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm in

Jake

Hardlyrob
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Yup - me too!

bart998
02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Me too! Where do you want it sent?

Fishbike
02-08-2012, 04:13 PM
The right thing to do.

akelman
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Yup, I'm in too. But really, as Tex said above, I think if we can get enough people together, we should order a frame and then raffle it off to support the new forum. That would show our appreciation for Ben's hospitality through the years and also launch the new forum on its way to success.

David Kirk
02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
yep - count me in.

dave

Ken Robb
02-08-2012, 04:21 PM
sure thing.

93legendti
02-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Sure.

slowgoing
02-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Yup, I'm in too. But really, as Tex said above, I think if we can get enough people together, we should order a frame and then raffle it off to support the new forum. That would show our appreciation for Ben's hospitality through the years and also launch the new forum on its way to success.

I like this idea too, but I also want Ben to have something concrete he can take home with him when he retires. I bought a 12" wood plaque with engraved plate a few years ago and it was about $75 with the paticular language we used, cost depends on how much you say, so we're not talking about a big expenditure for the plaque. But I also don't want to bite off more than we can chew by suggesting that we buy a frame if we can't raise sufficient funds to cover that kind of expense. So you're right, let's see how many people want to contribute and then do the math and see where we end up on a frame.

Comments or suggestions?

vqdriver
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm in.

Keith A
02-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Great idea :)

nighthawk
02-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I would also contribute. I like the raffle and the plaque idea. Or maybe someone with some inside knowledge of the man himself could help narrow down a very personal gift?

:)

jimcav
02-08-2012, 05:17 PM
be nice if in additon we could give him a cool flat-stanley type of scrapbook with a good picture of each forumite's serotta (but mine (picture) will have to wait until i go home on leave again)

if you all don't have a serotta, that would be also be a nice way to say thanks (ie get one)

jim

jamesau
02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Nice idea; I'm in.
We could consider the gift based on level of participation... Some not so serious examples ranging from low to high:
T-shirt
coffee mug
plaque
sculpture or other commissioned artwork
:
time-share in Tuscany

phcollard
02-08-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm in too!

Frankwurst
02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Yup. Consider me in. :beer:

wooly
02-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm in too

hybridbellbaske
02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Me too ( I have had a hand in purchasing 4 Serottas over the years- one for my partner and three for me!)

sc53
02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
This is a great idea~I'm sure we could come up with enough for at least a *cheap* frame! Count me in for that!
-el cheapo

sc53
02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
be nice if in additon we could give him a cool flat-stanley type of scrapbook with a good picture of each forumite's serotta (but mine (picture) will have to wait until i go home on leave again)

if you all don't have a serotta, that would be also be a nice way to say thanks (ie get one)

jim
Oh yeah! Another great idea! I have two Serottas, one recently reclad in SRAM (boo) Apex, and I think pix of our well-loved and well-ridden bikes over the years would be cool. :banana:

thwart
02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I like this thread.

I'm in.

dekindy
02-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Sure. How about a CDA frame/fork raffle so maybe we could get a gift for Ben also and money to support forum expenses? Meivici is very expensive so very little left over for forum expenses.

chuckroast
02-08-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm in too, thanks for the idea

rounder
02-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm in.

jlwdm
02-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I would also contribute. I like the raffle and the plaque idea. Or maybe someone with some inside knowledge of the man himself could help narrow down a very personal gift?

:)

I have made an inquiry for ideas.

jeff

Peter B
02-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Add my name to the list.

rwsaunders
02-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Add my name to the list.

Roger that.

ckamp
02-08-2012, 11:18 PM
I will contribute as well.

weisan
02-09-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm in.

For goodness sake, make this into a STICKY. If not, someone is really going to be upset that they misses out. :bike:

sokyroadie
02-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Count me in.

Jeff

d_douglas
02-09-2012, 05:38 AM
I would be happy to contribute.

my 2 centimes: off the top of my head, the 'plaque' idea seems kind of cheesy. I think we could do better. I'm not sure what, but we could do better. Certainly buying a Meivici would meet that criteria, but maybe something personal vs something that simply helps his bottom line. He is a good person for facilitating this forum for so many years.

tele
02-09-2012, 05:47 AM
i'm in

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-09-2012, 05:52 AM
In.

veloduffer
02-09-2012, 06:55 AM
I'd be down with that. :beer:

achurch
02-09-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm in--

What does "in" mean? If everyone contributed between $25-$100, given the number of people active on the forum, I bet we really could do something like get a frame, :banana:

AngryScientist
02-09-2012, 08:24 AM
i'm in too.

my personal feeling is that i like the original intent of this thread/idea. a nice memento for Ben to keep as a testimony to the awesomeness to the forum that he kept running for so long. the logistics of us buying a frame and raffling it off seem like a bit much to me, just an honest opinion. :beer:

Fixed
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
i'm in too.

my personal feeling is that i like the original intent of this thread/idea. a nice memento for Ben to keep as a testimony to the awesomeness to the forum that he kept running for so long. the logistics of us buying a frame and raffling it off seem like a bit much to me, just an honest opinion. :beer:
+1
cheers

weisan
02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
someone who knows Ben well, please tell us what to get for him...

wooly
02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
So when it's decided will someone send a PM to all of us who are "in"? Or do we need to monitor this thread?

slowgoing
02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
So when it's decided will someone send a PM to all of us who are "in"?

Yes.

slowgoing
02-09-2012, 08:38 PM
So we have 35-40 people so far. Not enough to buy a Serotta unless we each contribute between about $100 for a Coeur d’Acier ($3595) or about $257 for a Meivici AE ($8995). My guess is it would only be about $2-4 each for a nice plaque. We are still waiting on other ideas so throw out your suggestions.

Instead of buying a Serotta, raffling it off and using the proceeds to fund the site, we could alternatively use the raffle ticket proceeds to fund the bike purchase and any additional funds we want to generate. That way none of us are out of pocket except for what we pay for raffle tickets. Does this make more sense? For example, let’s say we pick a Meivici AE to raffle. Cost is $8995. Sell 100 raffle tickets for $100 each, or 200 raffle tickets for $50 each, $10,000 generated in revenue, enough to buy frame and have a bit left over for this site. Of course, a real problem arises if we can’t sell the required number of tickets, and then we have to figure out how to return the ticket proceeds already received.

Comments welcome.

dave thompson
02-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm thinking much simpler. Something that Ben could see and touch, would tell him how much we truly appreciated the forum and how for some, me for example, the forum influenced us and often changed our lives.

Keith A
02-09-2012, 09:07 PM
I've been pretty busy with everything, could someone summarize what the plans are for Ben? Who is taking the lead in this?

Elefantino
02-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm thinking much simpler. Something that Ben could see and touch, would tell him how much we truly appreciated the forum and how for some, me for example, the forum influenced us and often changed our lives.
I like it. Don't quite know what it would be, but I like it.

MRB
02-09-2012, 09:12 PM
count me in too!

slowgoing
02-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I've been pretty busy with everything, could someone summarize what the plans are for Ben? Who is taking the lead in this?

Most posts in this thread are "I'm in," so it's easier for you to read the thread than to summarize it. So far there is no agreed upon plan.

I'll take the lead if a plaque is selected, as there is a great trophy company here in LA just south of USC. Otherwise, we have to wait and see what people prefer as a gift and then see who knows where to get one. If a raffle is approved, that will require a number of people to help out.

Louis
02-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I'll contribute.

How are we going to decide what to do?

Committee? Poll? Brainstorm?

(doesn't really matter to me, any method works for me, I'm just wondering)

slowgoing
02-09-2012, 11:02 PM
We are still asking for ideas. Someone is inquiring of those around Ben to see what he likes. Others have a general concept but nothing concrete yet. It's almost premature to ask how we will decide until we receive some other more concrete suggestions.

KF9YR
02-09-2012, 11:21 PM
I"ll contribute...

soulspinner
02-10-2012, 05:08 AM
Heck ya

1centaur
02-10-2012, 05:11 AM
http://www.bicyclegifthub.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Peloton&cat=27

BumbleBeeDave
02-10-2012, 05:34 AM
http://www.bicyclegifthub.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Peloton&cat=27

This is a VERY dangerous looking web site I didn't know about yet! Bev, hide my credit cards!

IMHO, something personal like this with an inscription is going to mean far more to him than simply buying another bike from him.

BBD

jr59
02-10-2012, 05:41 AM
This is a VERY dangerous looking web site I didn't know about yet! Bev, hide my credit cards!

IMHO, something personal like this with an inscription is going to mean far more to him than simply buying another bike from him.

BBD

+1

Agree with this completely.

avalonracing
02-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Instead of buying a Serotta, raffling it off and using the proceeds to fund the site, we could alternatively use the raffle ticket proceeds to fund the bike purchase and any additional funds we want to generate. That way none of us are out of pocket except for what we pay for raffle tickets. Does this make more sense? For example, let’s say we pick a Meivici AE to raffle. Cost is $8995. Sell 100 raffle tickets for $100 each, or 200 raffle tickets for $50 each, $10,000 generated in revenue, enough to buy frame and have a bit left over for this site. Of course, a real problem arises if we can’t sell the required number of tickets, and then we have to figure out how to return the ticket proceeds already received.

Comments welcome.

Another problem would be is if we couldn't get hold of a Meivici... ;)
Actually, wouldn't it make more sense to raffle a more modestly priced ride like a Legend?

Elefantino
02-10-2012, 07:14 AM

BBD
+2.

Something along these lines.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/Benplaque.jpg

slowgoing
02-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Another problem would be is if we couldn't get hold of a Meivici... ;)
Actually, wouldn't it make more sense to raffle a more modestly priced ride like a Legend?

No argument there. I have wanted a new legend in matte/polish forever.

Hey, no reason we can't do both a gift and a raffle if there is enough interest, especially if the raffle funds itself.

oliver1850
02-10-2012, 02:06 PM
I asked Dave Kirk what he thought Ben might like, here's his edited reply:

He likes wine – red wine. He likes chocolate.

Karin had an idea – what if you could get a good sized group of folks together and have them submit photos of their Serottas and then write up short deal about how they love their Serottas and how the bikes improved their lives. Then take all that and compile it and have it printed up at Costco into a hardcover book. It would be very cheap, take a bit of time on someone’s part but have a good bit of meaning to Ben.

Pete Mckeon
03-07-2012, 06:10 PM
a few days. Appreciate it. :beer: Pete

Bruce K
03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Stuck per Pete's request

BK

slowandsteady
03-08-2012, 08:13 PM
happy to donate...maybe set up a papyal or odwalla account?

rounder
03-08-2012, 09:04 PM
I asked Dave Kirk what he thought Ben might like, here's his edited reply:

He likes wine – red wine. He likes chocolate.

Karin had an idea – what if you could get a good sized group of folks together and have them submit photos of their Serottas and then write up short deal about how they love their Serottas and how the bikes improved their lives. Then take all that and compile it and have it printed up at Costco into a hardcover book. It would be very cheap, take a bit of time on someone’s part but have a good bit of meaning to Ben.

I like that idea. It would be easy to describe how/why i love serottas (but would be hard to post my pics). I also like the wine idea. Provide a mailing address...if it takes Ben a long time to review and appreciate the wine, then that should not be anyone's problem.

slowgoing
03-09-2012, 12:25 AM
So we need to decide what to do for the gift.

If we chose Karin's idea of a book with pictures and blurbs from Serotta owners, we need to find someone who has enough time to solicit entries from members, gather them, assemble them in a book and take them to be bound. I don't have nearly enough time to do that but maybe someone else does. If you do, please let us know.

If we choose red wine, we should let someone on the forum who is an expert in that do the selection.

If we chose a plaque, I can do it and don't need any contributions, won't be that expensive. I like what Elephantino put together above and can coordinate with him before meeting with a trophy company.

There is also nothing stopping us from doing more than one of the above.

Others suggested something small and personal, which sounds great, but they need to flesh that out a bit more. I think we're beyond general ideas, we need specifics.

Sounds like the raffle idea isn't getting much traction.

NHAero
03-09-2012, 07:49 PM
With the funds that are likely to be raised here (I'm in too, please) we could buy a bottle (or case) at the level that Ben (or most of us) would never think of buying for himself. I've done this for meaningful significant gifts before, especially for people who don't like to accumulate stuff.

Along the same lines, for chocolate lovers, is Christopher Elbow's chocolates. http://www.elbowchocolates.com/
We did this for a friend's birthday, who has been a pro wine and food reviewer and a "supertaster" and she was deliriously pleased.

slowgoing
03-10-2012, 11:33 AM
With the funds that are likely to be raised here (I'm in too, please) we could buy a bottle (or case) at the level that Ben (or most of us) would never think of buying for himself. I've done this for meaningful significant gifts before, especially for people who don't like to accumulate stuff.

I think this wine suggestion is a great idea. Let's see if we can get a general consensus that this is the way to go, or at least a lack of objections. If so, we will need someone to set up a way to collect funds, someone to count the funds so we know what we have available and someone to select/buy/deliver the wine. I will be happy to send PMs to all that volunteered to donate. Let's keep this project moving!

rice rocket
03-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Wine is nice. But how about we chip in for a web designer? :fight:

SamIAm
03-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Let me know if you need to source a special bottle of wine. I have a few thousand in the cellar!

vqdriver
04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
so.............
where are we with this??

i'd hate for this good idea to dissipate into the ether.

slowgoing
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
There being no objections, let's assume we're buying Ben some wine. Let's see how much we can collect and take it from there.

Anyone have a paypal account they're willing to use to collect contributions? If you'll PM me with it, and I'll send out PMs later tonight at the earliest to all of those who said they'd be willing to contribute.

vqdriver
04-04-2012, 03:59 PM
pm'd

Louis
04-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Anyone have a paypal account they're willing to use to collect contributions? If you'll PM me with it, and I'll send out PMs later tonight at the earliest to all of those who said they'd be willing to contribute.

Could we just use the "Paceline" PP account (not sure who really owns it) and contributors could specify "Ben Gift" or some such thing?

slowgoing
04-04-2012, 04:21 PM
That would work. We also have another one available.

Mods, your call.

Update: Just checked with mods. They'd like us to use the volunteer's Paypal account just to keep things simple for now.

So watch for incoming PMs starting later tonight with directions on how to contribute to Ben's gift.

oliver1850
04-04-2012, 04:57 PM
so.............
where are we with this??

i'd hate for this good idea to dissipate into the ether.

Thanks for reviving this thread.

David Kirk
04-04-2012, 05:48 PM
That would work. We also have another one available.

Mods, your call.

Update: Just checked with mods. They'd like us to use the volunteer's Paypal account just to keep things simple for now.

So watch for incoming PMs starting later tonight with directions on how to contribute to Ben's gift.

Cool - I'm in. How much and what's the paypal address?

dave

vqdriver
04-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Looks like we're off and running. I'll just paste the payment notes here cuz slowgoing wrote it up pretty well.
(requisite banana) :banana::banana:

We are ready to receive funds for Ben’s gift. The plan is to see how much we receive and then buy some wine of a quality that he wouldn’t normally purchase for himself, as suggested by NHAero. We don’t have a set donation request amount, so please donate what you feel appropriate.

Instructions:

1. We've set up a new email address to receive your Paypal contributions – giftforben@gmail.com

2. Please identify your Serotta screen name in the Subject Line of the donation so we can match up your paypal contribution to your Serotta handle. Any other comments should be placed in the notes box.

3. Please try to send the funds as a gift so fees are not charged. We don’t know if there is a limit on the number of gift transfers or the total quantity of funds that can be transferred as gifts, so don’t be surprised if at some point Paypal stops letting you send funds as a gift, in which case just send the funds with the fees to be subtracted.

Thanks to everyone for helping make this happen.

Louis
04-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Done.

My expense for the gift was only a very small fraction of what the Serotta / Paceline forum has induced me to spend over the years... A bad habit I need to break. Would methadone help? ;)

Thanks Ben. :bike:

Bruce K
04-05-2012, 04:45 AM
How do we do this if we don't have/use/want a Paypal account?

BK

phcollard
04-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Done.

My expense for the gift was only a very small fraction of what the Serotta / Paceline forum has induced me to spend over the years...

Me too. A small (very small) fraction. :help: Done as well.

David Kirk
04-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Gift sent - thanks for setting this up.

Dave

Keith A
04-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for making this happen! I've emailed Pete to see if he can provide some input on the gift for Ben.

vqdriver
04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
bruce, you've got pm.

if there's anyone else who'd prefer to not use paypal, email me at the same address, giftforben@gmail.com, and we can work something out. unless i get a flood of emails, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Ahneida Ride
04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Could we just use the "Paceline" PP account (not sure who really owns it) and contributors could specify "Ben Gift" or some such thing?

This idea of mixing accounts really troubles me .

The 2 accounts should be separate.

donate to Paceline should be for that purpose only !

SoCalSteve
04-05-2012, 02:09 PM

Ray,

Seems like they worked it out without needing our PP account.

Steve

Louis
04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Perhaps we need some clarification about who "our" is, and why that entity differs from "the Paceline," that is presumably thanking Ben for his past support.

Unless the Paceline is pointedly not participating in thanking Ben, which would be an interesting situation, if it were true.

Ray,

Seems like they worked it out without needing our PP account.

Steve

slowgoing
04-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I think Ray and SoCalSteve are mods/owners of THE Paceline who control THE Paceline PP account set up for receiving paceline donations.

No need to use that PP account for ben's gift as vqdriver has set one up, and we don't want to break any accounting rules/principles for THE Paceline by comingling funds. Plus we aren't asking THE Paceline as an entity to make a donation, just people in their individual capacity.

So it was a nice suggestion to use THE Paceline PP account but I agree that it's easier for everyone not to use it.

Louis
04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I think Ray and SoCalSteve are mods/owners of THE Paceline who control THE Paceline PP account set up for receiving paceline donations.

No need to use that PP account for ben's gift as vqdriver has set one up, and we don't want to break any accounting rules/principles for THE Paceline by comingling funds. Plus we aren't asking THE Paceline as an entity to make a donation, just people in their individual capacity.

So it was a nice suggestion to use THE Paceline PP account but I agree that it's easier for everyone not to use it.

I agree, but there was a "Don't you dare touch our money and our profits" feel to Ray and Steve's response, that IMO seemed out of place.

slowgoing
04-05-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree, but there was a "Don't you dare touch our money and our profits" feel to Ray and Steve's response, that IMO seemed out of place.

My take was Ray sounded like a scared accountant watching some comingling that he had not approved jeopardize non-profit status. These corporate formation and taxation rules and accounting policies are detailed and strict and unforgiving, so I understand his concern.

No big deal though, especially since there is no comingling. Ray just lost some hair for no reason.

Keith A
04-05-2012, 04:01 PM
I emailed Pete about suggestions for Ben and here is his reply...

good red wine is a like of his. That is all I can suggest, He has more than enough jerseys, water bottles. etc Another possibility is a picture framed of the RI ramble saying the alumni of the forum is thinking of him,.

Sorry I could not offer more. PETE

SamIAm
04-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm out of the loop on what gift we are going for here, but once again if its wine, I have a large selection of very high end stuff and I would happily provide the bottle at no cost, if you know what he likes.

Louis
04-05-2012, 04:26 PM
My take was Ray sounded like a scared accountant watching some comingling that he had not approved jeopardize non-profit status. These corporate formation and taxation rules and accounting policies are detailed and strict and unforgiving, so I understand his concern.

I agree that we don't want the IRS on our tail... :eek:

Ahneida Ride
04-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I am already managing numerous accounts.

nothing is as easy as it looks.

SoCalSteve
04-05-2012, 05:21 PM

First off, there are NO profits. If and when we do make our quota for the year, whatever is left over will be put towards the following years quota. We have no desire to profit from this. Just keep the community thriving.

All Ray was concerned about was commingling of funds. He is already dealing with Handlebra and Paceline. He certainly didn't want to take on yet another revenue stream.

Nothing else, no subtext, nothing but that. Plain and simple.

Thanks!

Ahneida Ride
04-05-2012, 06:16 PM
add to that the hassle of opening another bank account.

Opening another account for PL must have trigger some sort of event
at the bank ..... and they requested all sorts of additional information.

I keep records in Quick Books and the software is not amenable to
intermingling of accounts or any kind of hanky panky.

I waiting for the QB version that allows me to practice "fictional reserve".

Managing intermingled donations and keeping the funds properly tracked
is just not an additional responsibility I wish to assume at this point ...

Us mods do have day jobs and other commitments. Please understand ....

Thanks for the compassion ! ..... :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Ahneida Ride
04-05-2012, 06:28 PM
So far, no mods are making any frns outa this ....
The goal is to have enough funds to run the joint and update & improve software.

However ... if you ever see me in a 911 .... well .... :hello:

I do think that some funds should go to treat Keith and his wife to a nice dinner ....
Keith has been a true super hero. His contribution has been priceless.

AngryScientist
04-10-2012, 06:36 AM
talk about slacking off. consider me in. sorry for the delay on my part. work's been crazy.

what's the status??

Black Dog
04-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Money sent. Thanks to all who are taking this responsibility on. And thanks to Ben for nurturing this place for so long.

stephenyi
04-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Gift sent. Great idea! And thanks for those that organized this.

mnoble485
04-11-2012, 07:55 AM
So far, no mods are making any frns outa this ....
The goal is to have enough funds to run the joint and update & improve software.

However ... if you ever see me in a 911 .... well .... :hello:

I do think that some funds should go to treat Keith and his wife to a nice dinner ....
Keith has been a true super hero. His contribution has been priceless.

I will second the motion for dinner for Keith and his wife. A small deduction from the gold pile would be appropo.

Mike

slowgoing
04-11-2012, 09:39 AM
We are hearing that Paypal is not allowing some recent contributions as gifts. We may have passed some internal Paypal limit on the total amount that can be gifted to a particular account... If was good while it lasted...

jerome
04-11-2012, 03:47 PM
why not making a donation on his name to LiveStrong, homeless people ... or a relevant trusted non profit org. working for a great cause benefiting the society.
Would be a much better investment than a trophy.

in this condition I am in.

slowgoing
04-11-2012, 07:31 PM
why not making a donation on his name to LiveStrong, homeless people ... or a relevant trusted non profit org. working for a great cause benefiting the society.
Would be a much better investment than a trophy.

in this condition I am in.

Not a bad idea but I think this is a little late. We asked for gift ideas for months and I don't recall this being brought up. We finally settled on the wine and then asked for contributions specifically for wine and possibly a plaque. At this point some contributors might feel slighted if we changed the gift after they sent the funds for wine. Not to mention getting everyone to agree on a charity (I for example, would NEVER agree to donate a penny to anything having to do with LA).

Not that you can't contribute to a charity on your own on Ben's behalf. I only ask that you wait to make the contribution until the forum has given Ben its collective gift.

Elefantino
04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Here's the plaque idea:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/newplaquecomplete.jpg

AngryScientist
04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
what's the status?

slowgoing
04-17-2012, 11:53 AM
We are working on getting a plaque done then we will work on getting a wine box built, then we will buy the wine, hopefully close Serotta, then make arrangements for someone or a group to deliver them to Ben. We will keep everyone up to date if there is something new to report, but keep in mind that this is all being done during breaks from our regular jobs.

AngryScientist
04-17-2012, 12:04 PM
We are working on getting a plaque done then we will work on getting a wine box built, then we will buy the wine, hopefully close Serotta, then make arrangements for someone or a group to deliver them to Ben. We will keep everyone up to date if there is something new to report, but keep in mind that this is all being done during breaks from our regular jobs.

excellent work. thanks for coordinating.

nighthawk
04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
What's the current paypal address for sending a donation to for the gift?

slowgoing
04-17-2012, 12:12 PM
excellent work. thanks for coordinating.

If you have time and can help (I know you said you might have time to deliver the wine to Ben some weekend), maybe you can work with vqdriver and SamIAm to buy the wine closeby and maybe have the box built. vqdriver has the funds and is coordinating on the budget, and SamIAm is going to select the wine based upon the budget after we take out funds for the box and plaque. That way you can have the wine and box in one place near Serotta, I'll send you the plaque when it's done, and we'll be on our way for you and possibly others to make the delivery (Bumblebeedave might also have time, I have been in touch with him as well).

slowgoing
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
What's the current paypal address for sending a donation to for the gift?

giftforben@gmail.com

Thanks for contributing.

nighthawk
04-17-2012, 12:37 PM
sent!

Cheers for the hard work.

And Cheers! Cheers! to Ben.

vqdriver
04-17-2012, 01:11 PM
got it. thank you.