PDA

View Full Version : Ernesto Colnago interview

fiamme red
02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/531654/ernesto-colnago-the-big-interview.html

Who is the most memorable rider you've worked with?
EC: I worked with many riders, but Eddy Merckx was the most brilliant. He took more than 20 bikes a year! He'd come in here in the morning and wouldn't leave until he had the perfect bike.

On a Tuesday, ahead of Liège-Bastogne-Liège he'd say he wanted the bike to have further setback. We went from 16 to 19cm! I remember he finally had 21cm when he won Liège. He ripped his legs apart and was in bed for two days afterwards.

Do you look to other frame builders for ideas?
EC: I respect all the manufacturers, but they've all copied Colnago. Every one! We brought out titanium, the straight fork... I'm sorry for the others, they aren't looking within and studying...

phcollard
02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
It sounds like every manufacturer steals Ernesto's brilliant ideas. He did it all by himself :rolleyes:

CPP
02-08-2012, 01:05 PM
This is a great quote:

How do you see the Colnago business in 10 to 20 years?
EC: I had Fiorenzo Magni and Alfredo Martini here; they are 90 years old and going strong. I'll be here, maybe in a wheelchair... a wheelchair of carbon or the best material available.

Aaron O
02-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Thank you Ernesto Colnago for inventing titanium...truly it is you that today's masters are emulating.

fiamme red
02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
I thought this was interesting too...

How important is team sponsorship for you?
EC: I've been fortunate to find teams with winning racers. However, it's not as if Oscar Freire wins the Worlds, we sell more in Spain. It always stays the same. Spain always buys the lowest number of Colnagos, and that didn't change with Freire's wins. Or if Sven Nys wins every weekend, we don't sell more cyclo-cross frames.

We sponsor to maintain our position. It's the same way for Ferrari in F1. We lose money doing it, but it's good for R&D and maintains our market position.

Bob Loblaw
02-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Great stuff from a master and cycling demigod.

BL

old_fat_and_slow
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey Ernie!

That B-stay was really a big hit! Also that twin down-tubed titanium model.

How 'bout those fugly-as$ reversed curved seat-stays.

Nobody can acuse you of not thinkin' outside the box.

wallymann
02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
i ride the same size frame as the Cannibal...but with only ~17cm setback on my frames...that's silly-setback! but not quite like steve bauer's ridiculous/notorious "chopper" experiment.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3358/3453496796_bec9f5924d_o.png

Dave Wages
02-08-2012, 03:18 PM
i ride the same size frame as the Cannibal...but with only ~17cm setback on my frames...that's silly-setback! but not quite like steve bauer's ridiculous/notorious "chopper" experiment.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3358/3453496796_bec9f5924d_o.png

I remember that bike, if ya want one like that now you can just get an Electra!
Foot forward technology! ;)

The nice thing is that he can put his foot down at stoplights without getting off the saddle.

Cheers,
Dave

merckx
02-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Mr. Colnago, how many Tours have your machines won?

don compton
02-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Eddy won a few.

Spin71
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Frames win tours? Who knew.

ckamp
02-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Mr. Colnago does not visit this forum. You should direct your question to him via email or handwritten letter.

:beer:

don compton
02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I have only owned one Colnago ( a Dream ). But regardless of Mr. Colnago's bragging, there were a lot of classic and one-day races won by cyclists riding Colnago bikes. And where is a bike tested more than the cobbled classics?

fiamme red
02-09-2012, 10:35 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery-colnago-celebrates-his-80th-birthday-with-a-limited-edition-bike

Despite turning 80, Colnago was busy in his office in Cambiago, preferring to work than celebrate his birthday. He is still the first to arrive at the Colnago offices, just across the street from his home, and is always the last to leave. Most people are happily retired at 80 but Colnago does not intend to retire just yet.

“My 80th birthday is an intermediate sprint, it’s the not the finish of my race. I still love to work and create new bikes. I don’t want a cake or a big party, the special bike is my way of sharing my birthday,” he said.