PDA

View Full Version : dead horse: is there a new bicycle baggage policy on United

eddief
02-08-2012, 10:49 AM
someone from my cycling club put out a message suggesting United and Conti are now routinely charging more than their normal baggage fee for bikes even if they are within the 62/50 size/weight limit. this person suggested this a recent change. i checked the website and could find nothing new. i am concerned about a domestic flight this summer. got news?

Steve in SLO
02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Each has baggage policies on their website. It it appears there is no such policy, look it up and print the pertinent policy out to take to the airport with you. It saved me some $$ when I did this with American a year ago. Seems some ticket agents do not know that size matters.
Alternately, have a bumper sticker made that says 'ACME Mobility Assistance Devices' , then don't mention it is a bike.

eddief
02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
get put away for doing that? :)

Each has baggage policies on their website. It it appears there is no such policy, look it up and print the pertinent policy out to take to the airport with you. It saved me some $$ when I did this with American a year ago. Seems some ticket agents do not know that size matters.
Alternately, have a bumper sticker made that says 'ACME Mobility Assistance Devices' , then don't mention it is a bike.

Steve in SLO
02-08-2012, 11:10 AM
That part of my reply was facetious, however as long as they don't ask what's in the case, there is no lie, only a bit of subterfuge. If there had to be a claim made, though it could get sticky.

bargainguy
02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Whenever I travel with my Bike Friday folding bike in a suitcase, I always get asked the same question by the counter person: What's in the case? "Bike parts" is my standard answer, as most people wouldn't recognize the 20" wheels and disassembled bike as an actual bike.

Most airlines charge through the nose for a bicycle in a suitcase, even if it's disassembled, meets weight restrictions and is no different from any other suitcase. For that reason, "bike parts" works for me, because until the bike is assembled, technically that's what it is.

Don

veggieburger
02-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Throw your shorts and socks in there and "Bike parts and clothing" also becomes an acceptable answer...

Whenever I travel with my Bike Friday folding bike in a suitcase, I always get asked the same question by the counter person: What's in the case? "Bike parts" is my standard answer, as most people wouldn't recognize the 20" wheels and disassembled bike as an actual bike.

Most airlines charge through the nose for a bicycle in a suitcase, even if it's disassembled, meets weight restrictions and is no different from any other suitcase. For that reason, "bike parts" works for me, because until the bike is assembled, technically that's what it is.

Don

AngryScientist
02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
That part of my reply was facetious, however as long as they don't ask what's in the case, there is no lie, only a bit of subterfuge. If there had to be a claim made, though it could get sticky.

"sporting goods" has worked for many.

dave thompson
02-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I dunno about declaring a bike as anything other than 'bicycle'. If problems arise, lost, damaged, etc., the bike parts/sporting goods declaration can become a large liability. I had 5 acquaintances that had their bikes lost on a non-stop direct flight from Seattle to Heathrow!

christian
02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
I dunno about declaring a bike as anything other than 'bicycle'. If problems arise, lost, damaged, etc., the bike parts/sporting goods declaration can become a large liability. I had 5 acquaintances that had their bikes lost on a non-stop direct flight from Seattle to Heathrow!
I think the Montreal Convention basically limits you to a set $/kg reimbursement regardless, so even if you tell them it's a solid gold Parlee with Di2 and hydraulic GPS, you're still only going to get a few hundred bucks. (Apparently the maximum now is about $1758 for a lost piece.) This is what insurance is for.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Christian, what insurance would cover this, a homeowner's insurance policy? I ask because I have an S&S coupled bike I bought expressly for trips by airplane.

christian
02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
I would typically try to get a rider on homeowner's insurance.

My insurance agent swears up and down that I don't need a rider (State Farm) and that my bikes are covered whether they are locked in the basement, in my car, underneath me, or anywhere else, with the usual homeowner's deductible applied ($500).

I had him document that in writing, twice, in response to an email listing what bikes I own and their approximate fair used-market value. But I'd still pay for a rider if he'd sell me one.

gone
02-08-2012, 01:44 PM
My insurance agent swears up and down that I don't need a rider (State Farm) and that my bikes are covered whether they are locked in the basement, in my car, underneath me, or anywhere else, with the usual homeowner's deductible applied ($500).

I have this in writing directly from State Farm. Of course, I've never filed a claim saying my bike was stolen so it's never been put to the test.

bargainguy
02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
A claim against your homeowner's insurance can lead to problems later, like upping your rates or dropping you entirely, in which case getting the same insurance from anyone at a reasonable price can be an issue. While I understand the reasons for wanting to use the homeowner's insurance, I believe it is more for catastrophic events and not minor claims.

As far as declaring bike parts instead of a bike, I believe most airlines cap their liability at about $1200 (this may have changed lately, I'm not entirely sure). Whenever I travel with folding bikes, I have detailed pix, contact info and instructions inside the case -- with extra copies of the pix at home -- so that TSA doesn't try to take everything apart and get stuck trying to cram everything back. The bike only goes in the case one way, and if it's not done right (e.g., crush protector not in place and case takes a hit from the side), major problems. I've even had notes from TSA thanking me for the pix and instructions.

Once I was traveling back from Heathrow to O'Hare and waiting for my red suitcase with my folding bike to show up on the carousel. When it didn't, I immediately filed a missing luggage claim with the airline. Suitcase arrived by courier the next day.

Don

christian
02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
A claim against your homeowner's insurance can lead to problems later, like upping your rates or dropping you entirely, in which case getting the same insurance from anyone at a reasonable price can be an issue. While I understand the reasons for wanting to use the homeowner's insurance, I believe it is more for catastrophic events and not minor claims.
Agreed, which is why I'd rather have a rider or separate policy. That said, plenty of people on this board have $5,000 - 10,000 bicycles, or many such bicycles. For them, theft, loss, or flooding would not be a minor claim.

bargainguy
02-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Point well taken, Christian. I agree if you have an expensive bike, best to get a rider and pay the extra $ rather than lumping bikes under a general policy and making minor claims against it.

I have heard of insurance companies doing bizarre things regarding homeowner policies -- dumping clients with decades of service and no explanation, dumping them for minor claims, dumping them for having a small dog (!). The whole arena isn't what it used to be.

Don