PDA

View Full Version : Dynamo light question

sjbraun
02-08-2012, 06:03 AM
I lucked into a really nice deal on a dyno wheel and light but know next to nothing about electricity. The light is a Supernova E3 connected to a SON 28 hub. The light has two connections coming from it, one for the front light and another for a tail light. As the I plan to move the wheel and light between two different bikes, I don't plan to use the tail light. So with regard to the wires that would serve a tail light, should I:

1) just wrap them around the light mount and let them be?

2) isolate the two ends by wrapping them in some electrical tape?

3) complete the circuit by connecting the two wires meant to serve the tail light?

Thanks

Steve- still in the dark about electricity, but at least well lit when moving

R2D2
02-08-2012, 06:24 AM
I think you'd be fine wrapping electrical tape around each connection and secruing the wire from flopping around.
I do this on a B&M Lumotec IQ CYO.
But I'm not familar with the Supernova per se.

rudetay
02-08-2012, 07:27 AM
1) just wrap them around the light mount and let them be?

2) isolate the two ends by wrapping them in some electrical tape?

If you're never going to use a tail light you can just cut those leads shorter so you have less to deal with. In the event you want to run one in the future you can always solder more onto it, or use Supernova's "Gold Connectors" as a plug at that point in the cable.

On that note, you could always install the tail light on the bike you plan to ride most with the light, with those plugs, and then just have the plugs from the light not used on other bikes.

EricEstlund
02-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Leave it a little long (in case you want it) and use heat shrink tubing to run it flat against the hub wires. This way looks clean, stops it from flapping, and is totally reversible.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5261/5621200932_02199556bc_z.jpg

Ken Robb
02-08-2012, 12:26 PM
I think SON output is 3V. When head and tail lights are used the headlight bulb is 3V. When both lights are used it is with 2.4V bulb in front and .6 in back. If you run a 2.4V alone it will have a short life before burning out unless the SON w/two leads automatically limits the output at each lead to 2.4V and .6V---Peter White knows all about these and sells the bulbs and accessories too.

J.Greene
02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I think SON output is 3V. When head and tail lights are used the headlight bulb is 3V. When both lights are used it is with 2.4V bulb in front and .6 in back. If you run a 2.4V alone it will have a short life before burning out unless the SON w/two leads automatically limits the output at each lead to 2.4V and .6V---Peter White knows all about these and sells the bulbs and accessories too.

Ken, these guys are talking about LED lights. Not the Halogen variety.

palincss
02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I think SON output is 3V.

6 volts, 3 watts, more or less.

JLP
02-08-2012, 01:32 PM
yeah, that combo is fine without a load on the tail light. And just to be clear, don't connect the two tail light wires together without a tail light in there. Tape them off independently, so they can't contact each other.