PDA

View Full Version : Finding 1" threadless carbon fork is a beeotch....

mack
02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Wow.....I should have considered the fact that a good, appropriately sized, 1" carbon fork is a bear to find these days.....I'm almost regretting picking up the concours on the forum.

Bummer is I have a boatload of 1-1/8" from enve-reynolds-look.....am I missing something here, I guess I've seen many WTB for 1" carbon forks, is there another source I'm not considering?
Looking for any ideas out there....

thx -mack

AngryScientist
02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
still a few decent options out there. not too many with carbon steerers though.

ritchey makes a nice one. i've got the winwood on my Serotta and like it just fine.

there is always Serotta if you're after an excellent expensive fork too.

maunahaole
02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Not a lot of choices. Serotta and Wound up are the first two that come to mind if you want something new.

cataņo
02-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I was under the impression that both wound up and serotta still offer 1" road forks with carbon steerers in a number of different rakes.

phcollard
02-07-2012, 02:13 PM
A used F1 fork is awesome. They show up from time to time in the classifieds.

Edit : sorry I just read the threadless part. Not sure the F1 is available threadless...

bobswire
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
I installed a Ritchey with 1" tube and couldn't be happier. It is not a downgrade in performance at all. Handle as well as my Merlin EL with a 1" WoundUp.
http://www.bikemania.biz/Wound_Up_Steel_Steerer_Carbom_Road_Fork_p/woundup_roadfork_steel.htm
http://i53.tinypic.com/rvetg8.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/9qy0ci.jpg

Kontact
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM
There are plenty of $100 steel steerer carbon forks - Nashbar, etc.

Winwood, Ritchey Comp, Serotta, Wound Up hit all the price points.

You can also take a very tall old carbon fork (Look, Kestrel, Time) and cut off the threaded part, if you ride a small enough frame.

That's not bad for choices.

mack
02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
I installed a Ritchey with 1" tube and couldn't be happier. It is not a downgrade in performance at all. Handle as well as my Merlin EL with a 1" WoundUp.

http://i53.tinypic.com/rvetg8.jpg

Was beginning to consider the ritchey carbon comp, do you think it's comparable to, or have comparison to an ouzo pro......I really like to ride hard and bomb the downhills......don't we all!?

bobswire
02-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Was beginning to consider the ritchey carbon comp, do you think it's comparable to, or have comparison to an ouzo pro......I really like to ride hard and bomb the downhills......don't we all!?

Yes holds your line and cuts curves excellent. I may be slow going uphill but I'm fearless going downhill and won't back down using the Ritchey.
Well made fork at very reasonable price point.

mack
02-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Yes holds your line and cuts curves excellent. I may be slow going uphill but I'm fearless going downhill and won't back down using the Ritchey.
Well made fork at very reasonable price point.

Thanks.....I appreciate that input, by the way, I had a super prodigy and a prodigy....decent rides, unfortunately, I found myself fitting right between a 56 and 54...darn.

old_fat_and_slow
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Origin 8

http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91&short_code=Pro+Pulsion+Synergy&cl1=FORKS

http://www.origin-8.com/images/new_400/27755.jpg

Ritchey is probably your best bet if you can still find them.

93legendti
02-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Aspire Velo has Wound Up's with carbon steerer tubes.
Dave Anderson can get you a Columbus Minimal.

PSC
02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Universal Cycles and Excel Sports both have the Ritchey Carbon Comp in 1" for mid $200 range.

beeatnik
02-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Mack, are you going to be using a shim with that carbon steerer? Heard many horror stories about that type of set up. I've had the opposite problem. Too many 1" carbon steerers and not enough quality alloy. If I could find a decent threadless stem for 1" steerer I'd go with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170773648271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1285

Kontact
02-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Mack, are you going to be using a shim with that carbon steerer? Heard many horror stories about that type of set up. I've had the opposite problem. Too many 1" carbon steerers and not enough quality alloy. If I could find a decent threadless stem for 1" steerer I'd go with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170773648271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1285
Why would a shim be a problem? I always turn the shim 180 from the stem to distribute the clamping forces better than a stem alone.

That Columbus Minimal has the right looks, weight and price to be a very attractive option.

beeatnik
02-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Every wrench I've asked about running a shim on a carbon steerer has looked at me as I were insane for even asking. And I keep asking because I really want to shave 200 grams off my current set up. Also want to change the rake, but that's another story.

ajz07
02-07-2012, 08:57 PM
I would also try craigslist as they occasionally pop up there.

Had to replace a broken fork on my merlin. Ended up using the ritchey because i couldnt find a reynolds at the time and couldnt justify the money for a wound up. Really like the reynolds, it is very stable at speed.

Kontact
02-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Every wrench I've asked about running a shim on a carbon steerer has looked at me as I were insane for even asking. And I keep asking because I really want to shave 200 grams off my current set up. Also want to change the rake, but that's another story.
Well, I'm a wrench. I've never heard of a problem, and don't see why a nicely made shim should be any different than a stem - and I think it is probably better.

beeatnik
02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Well, I'm a wrench. I've never heard of a problem, and don't see why a nicely made shim should be any different than a stem - and I think it is probably better.

What about pros hating them? Was it more an issue of flex than safety?

Kontact
02-07-2012, 09:30 PM
What about pros hating them? Was it more an issue of flex than safety?
Which pros? Pros ride top end stuff. When 1" steerers were pro gear, 1" stems were, too.

Several bike brands, like Calfee and Habanero, recommended 1" steerers well after 1" stem became unavailable.

I did some searches and can't come up with any rumors about this being a problem. I did find a couple of questions, with answers pretty much like mine.

beeatnik
02-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Which pros? Pros ride top end stuff. When 1" steerers were pro gear, 1" stems were, too.

Several bike brands, like Calfee and Habanero, recommended 1" steerers well after 1" stem became unavailable.

I did some searches and can't come up with any rumors about this being a problem. I did find a couple of questions, with answers pretty much like mine.
Correct. They didn't like 1" carbon steerers period.

Only repeating the warnings from guys at a couple of different shops. One of these guys was a cat 1 in the 80s. Interestingly enough, the wrenches at the largest Specialized BG-pro-whatever shop in the area, had never heard about the need to run a 5mm spacer above the stem with a carbon steerer. Didn't a pro team a few years back bust a few forks? Or is that apocryphal as well? Postal, maybe?

http://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/carbon_care/10TK_Carbon_Steerer_Info.pdf

In any case, glad to hear that a shim is a good solution. I'll transfer mine to a carbon steerer at some point.

Kontact
02-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Correct. They didn't like 1" carbon steerers period.

Only repeating the warnings from guys at a couple of different shops. One of these guys was a cat 1 in the 80s. Interestingly enough, the wrenches at the largest Specialized BG-pro-whatever shop in the area, had never heard about the need to run a 5mm spacer above the stem with a carbon steerer. Didn't a pro team a few years back bust a few forks? Or is that apocryphal as well? Postal, maybe?

http://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/carbon_care/10TK_Carbon_Steerer_Info.pdf

In any case, glad to hear that a shim is a good solution. I'll transfer mine to a carbon steerer at some point.
Trek had a problem with not having a spacer below the stem.

Putting one above the stem is important if you have no reinforcement inside the stem to prevent the top edge from collapsing, but if it has a glued in reinforcement or a really good expander plug; not an issue.

93legendti
02-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Origin 8

http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91&short_code=Pro+Pulsion+Synergy&cl1=FORKS

http://www.origin-8.com/images/new_400/27755.jpg

Ritchey is probably your best bet if you can still find them.
Is the Origin 8 available online?

mack
02-08-2012, 07:24 AM

Yeah my feelings exactly.......rode ouzo pros and columbus muscle carbon 1" steerers with Ritchey stems and sleeves/shim on bikes for years-many miles....riding hard over rough stuff, mountains-big descents, never a feeling of compromise or insecurity.
That's not to say, it's additionally my thought that the 1-1/8" steerer is a better system and likewise the contemporary-trend tapered steerer is better yet.
You guys have been great with ideas (many which I'm watching and considering) and even some offers.
I'm very appreciative.....thanks!
Still looking with keen interest.
-mack

bicycletricycle
02-08-2012, 07:41 AM
wound ups are sweet, made in the us, stiff, kinda light. Kinda ugly as well so....

bobswire
02-08-2012, 08:31 AM
wound ups are sweet, made in the us, stiff, kinda light. Kinda ugly as well so....

I will admit these are my favorite but some can't get past the look. I like them with bare Ti frames,had them on both a Seven Axiom and Merlin EL.
Tom Kellogg is a big fan of them also.
http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/forks.php
Excerpt:
Wound Up for WoundUp

It took me a few hundred meters into my first ride on a WoundUp many years ago to figure out that we had something special here. It took a couple hundred miles to fully appreciate the fork though. Of course my first reaction to the fork was, UGLY! In any case, it was pretty odd looking at. However, once on the bike it didn't look too bad.

Now to what the fork does. Ultimately, the single biggest advance made by WoundUp over other forks was the torsional rigidity of the blades and fork as a whole. Most people assume that fork stiffness is most important in resistance to lateral forces. Actually, this is not the case. Torsional rigidity is considerably more important because sufficient lateral stiffness is very easily built into a fork while torsional rigidity is not. Try to picture what lateral forces do to a fork in the real world. There, you have a front hub clamped onto the front drops keeping them parallel. With the hub in there as a structural member, lateral deflections will, by definition, force the blades to deflect in a "S" shape curve, not a "C" shape curve. What this means is that forks (in the real world) are about twice as laterally stiff as you feel when you squeeze the dropouts together. Torsional stiffness is tougher to accomplish though. The front hub, as a part of the fork structure only helps by forcing the two blades to work in tandem as they resist torsional stresses.

You might ask "what torsional stresses?" Actually, torsional stresses are not all that great, but they can really cause a fork to feel vague if not addressed. Take the Time Club fork as an example. Although it is very light and eminently comfortable, it is torsionally quite flexible. It is a great fork for putting on the miles. The problems develop when you put it in stressful situations. For example; hairy descents and hard criterium cornering can really stress the Club. Under these conditions, the Club fork will make you feel as though you are not connected to the front wheel. Indeed, it seems as though there is actually a lag time between handlebar input and bike reaction. You lose the immediacy if input.

With a good competition fork like the ENVE or Serotta fork, this is not the case. The WoundUp is the next step. While the Serotta and ENVE forks are great forks and I would not have expected anything more from a fork, the WoundUp is clearly a great choice for a fork when the going gets seriously twisty. You just have to get used to the way that they look.

mack
02-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Well...the wound up fork comments are ringing loud and true.....all of them!
I've got one on a cyclocross ride and I really feel connected to that bike.
The Enve/edge fork comments are absolutely what I experienced when changed over on a bike, stiff, solid, connected, yet no compromise to comfort, a real difference over the previous fork.
For me the Wound Up is an aesthetic I have trouble reconciling, if only there was a little beef to their look in matching the frame tubes.....I have caved to performance over appearance before, maybe I shall again.
Nice input guys.....thanks.
-mack

mack
02-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I also remember that Wound Up does not make a 43mm raked fork....always found that a little strange?

Kontact
02-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I also remember that Wound Up does not make a 43mm raked fork....always found that a little strange?
It depends. 43 is a popular rake for bike lines that attempt to use one rake across their entire model line, because it will produce high trail up to 73.5 degrees of head tube angle.

But if you have a 73 or lower head tube angle, there are arguably better rakes to use that are more stable at slow speeds and handle quicker at high speeds. For a 73, I would choose 45, for instance.

mack
02-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Yeah......I'm starting to re-evaluate this myself, from the barely readable, Serotta catalogs for 2001 on the forum, I believe the HT angle on a stock 54cm Concours is 72.5.....so a 4.5cm fork rake would produce a trail of 6.0cm which should produce a feel I'll appreciate. Can anyone confirm the HT angle for the 2001 stock 54cm Serotta Concours?
Again, I thank you all for these considerations.
-mack

It depends. 43 is a popular rake for bike lines that attempt to use one rake across their entire model line, because it will produce high trail up to 73.5 degrees of head tube angle.

But if you have a 73 or lower head tube angle, there are arguably better rakes to use that are more stable at slow speeds and handle quicker at high speeds. For a 73, I would choose 45, for instance.

blood
02-08-2012, 11:12 PM
You could always go with a Mizuno Fiandre. At $349 they aren't exactly giving them away, but they look clean, weigh in at 295g, 45mm rake and are definitely 1". I have a steel frame I've been meaning to lighten up, when I do it'll probably be with one of these unless I can find one at a better price point.

http://www.repartocorse.com/mizuno-fiandre-carbon-fork.htm

93legendti
02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
I just found three 1" forks this week. I will probably return the carbon steerer tube Wound Up that's incoming, but I found a new Columbus Minimal and a new Alpha Q, just by contacting builders to see if they still had any 1" forks. So they are out there.

Kontact
02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I just found three 1" forks this week. I will probably return the carbon steerer tube Wound Up that's incoming, but I found a new Columbus Minimal and a new Alpha Q, just by contacting builders to see if they still had any 1" forks. So they are out there.
Please post a ride report on the Minimal as soon as you can. :beer:

mack
02-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Hey Adam....can you share more info on the columbus minimal....that fork caught my eye, did you get a 45mm rake and does it have a carbon steerer?

thanks -mike

jimsantos
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Ordered one of these earlier today, actually.

I had a WTB that I bumped a couple times, but never got a strong match for what I was looking for: 1" carbon fork that would complement the smaller diameter tubing of a steel frame.

A fellow forumite directed me to the Minimal and I did a little research. The price/weight/reviews seemed to line up perfectly for my needs and I placed an order at Wiggle UK for a 45mm rake 1" steerer (yes, carbon) fork today, and they have 2 left at $223 w/free shipping to the US.

Reported weight seems to be around 350-390g, and I'll weigh mine and post a ride report when I get a chance.

I put my bike on a diet as a self-birthday present, and the fork swap plus new wheels/cassette/chain/tires should drop just over 900 grams!

93legendti
02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I got mine from Dave Anderson Cycles. 45mm, carbon steerer.

mack
02-09-2012, 09:28 PM
NICE.......I like the columbus forks, do not think you can go wrong there, and for the smaller frames that have the slacker head tube I'm thinking the 45mm shall be a good fit.
thank you Jim and Adam......good stuff mates!

93legendti
02-10-2012, 01:09 PM
My pleasure.
My Wound Up just arrived and it is gorgeous.
I'm going to send it back since i found 2 others right after i bought this :crap: unless someone here wants it.. I paid $389.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/4689b26f.jpg http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/3ccbee1f.jpg

oldpotatoe
02-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Universal Cycles and Excel Sports both have the Ritchey Carbon Comp in 1" for mid $200 range.

So do some(horrors) some Local bike shops..like me.

Nick209
02-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Easton ec90?

Kontact
02-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Easton ec90?
1 inch?

avalonracing
02-10-2012, 06:28 PM
I have an Easton EC90SLX in 1"... And it is staying on my 2000 Klein! :D

dancinkozmo
02-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Heres a ritchey with an alloy steerer for $165...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/220839402009?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Nick209
02-11-2012, 09:21 AM
1 inch?
I have a de rosa w/ a ec90 1 inch fork, full carbon steerer. Fork is awesome.

phcollard
02-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Have you seen these ones?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=104081

mack
02-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks all....I did find a nice fork after all....very appreciative to those that reached out to me, that is a great attribute to this forum and I'm hopeful things continue that way!
thanks again -mack