PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Options

Lovetoclimb
02-07-2012, 01:45 PM
I recently switched from Look Keos to Time iClics for several minor reasons. Now I am discovering I do not much care for the Time pedals. And since I was never impressed with the Keos, Speedplay has been on my mind as of late. Has anyone here played around with these brands and if so would you provide me some feedback?

I do not have knee pain issues or any fit based reason to change, simply looking for a pedal system that impresses me.

Jawn P
02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I recently switched from Look Keos to Time iClics for several minor reasons. Now I am discovering I do not much care for the Time pedals. And since I was never impressed with the Keos, Speedplay has been on my mind as of late. Has anyone here played around with these brands and if so would you provide me some feedback?

I do not have knee pain issues or any fit based reason to change, simply looking for a pedal system that impresses me.

SPD SL are seriously indestructible. Get those.

Jaq
02-07-2012, 01:54 PM
I've had Speedplay X2s on my bike since '95; I cannot say enough good things about them. I love the utterly solid feel, the float, even the fact that they have wrench flats so that my cranks don't need to be drilled through.

I especially love that there's absolutely no hunting for the right side, looking down at the pedal, etc. That alone I think is almost worth the price.

If I have one complaint, it's that greasing them can get messy. I replaced the original (solid) end caps with Speedplay's special cap that has a port for use with a fine-nozzled grease gun. But the seal around the end cap isn't perfect, and I usually end up shooting a lot of grease all over. I've tried wrapping the caps (where they insert) with teflon tape and that didn't work.

I could try a form of crazy glue (called Zap, available at most hobby stores), but I don't want the plugs to be permanent.

AngryScientist
02-07-2012, 01:56 PM
i was a longtime speedplay [zero] user. i really love the pedals, but the cleats leave a bit to be desired. just look at some mud or salt or grime and the cleats get fouled, badly. the cleat screws can loosen up over time, and be a pain to deal with on the road. they are the most expensive road cleats out there. when they are working right - they are great pedals though. great.

for the winter, i made the switch to spd-sl on my fixed gear bike. this killed me inside. as a die hard campy man, bolting on a pair of shimano anything mad me a little sad.

that said, i really like the pedals, despite the fishing reel name on them. i bought another set for my road bike, i liked them so much. i may be making the leap to spd-sl across the board soon.

give them a try, you may like them.

chris7ed
02-07-2012, 02:04 PM
What is it you don't like about Iclics?

bikser
02-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Second, SPD SL's. Pedal smooth, different cleat options, great engagement, carbon and alloy options at different pricepoints.

Likes2ridefar
02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
ive used speedplay x and more recently zero for years and used iclic pedals last year for most the season.

besides two minor complaints, I think the iclic pedals are great pedals and I somewhat prefer them to speedplay zero and definitely prefer them over the x series.

the first and biggest complaint is i would sometimes have slight issues clipping in. it would not always be a secure connection and I'd have to start over. not really a big deal but somewhat annoying.

The time cleats are easier to setup with less screws. the screws dont get damaged when walking but the pads do and the front wore out pretty fast on my cleats and this is my other issue...cleat durability. on that note, i realize you can get covers for the speedplay but this wasnt really an option for me.

speedplay cleats are more durable and last a lot longer. they are potentially somewhat more adjustable especially if you get the optional aluminum base plate.

this year it's 7900 pedals...

giverdada
02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
i wasn't so sure about speed play for the longest time. main reason: i was completely intimidated by their seemingly-complicated set-up, coupled with their infinite adjustability. too much choice for this luddite.

however, in building up my Strong and trying to go the extra mile in getting parts worthy of the frame set, i had to relinquish my functional, fugly, look-knockoff exustar $30 specials, and go with speed plays. my lady friend insisted. i relented. i've been happy ever since.

cleat set-up took a bit of tweaking, but tweaking is what they're good for. once dialled, i have had a great, maintenance-free experience with them. float adjustability is great if you do have knee problems, and fine if you don't. dual-sided entry is damn awesome, particularly for one-legged drills and remounts. i like the positive click retention and release. my cleats are metal on the part that gets walked on, and the cleat covers for them are wicked. i haven't done much gravel-hiking in them, but i also haven't done any maintenance on the cleats or pedals since i installed them in september, and they work great, only just now starting to creak a bit (time for grease). a great system.

i wouldn't get speed plays if i was heavier than i am (165) by a lot, and my brother, at 230 lbs., is riding look keo max2's with success. good luck!

tsarpepe
02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
as a die hard campy man, bolting on a pair of shimano anything mad me a little sad.

Just curious, Angry, why didn't you go for Campy pedals?

fatallightning
02-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Just curious, Angry, why didn't you go for Campy pedals?
Because besides the name, no tangible reason to use them. They're inferior in every way.

I too am a Campy diehard, all my bikes have it, I have a campy winged logo tattoo, but all 5 of my bikes have SPD-SL. They just work better and longer then Look.

19wisconsin64
02-07-2012, 07:38 PM
my vote is for the SPD SL pedals. they have been perfect for me for both training and track racing. never had one issue.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Speedplay Zero and shimano SPD-L are our first choices.

SP-most adjustment of the cleat and pedal float, simple, step onna bug, entry, 2 sided. Nice pedals plus if ya kill one you can buy one pedal. Completely maintainable.

shimano-better execution of the LOOK pedal concept, IMHO. Smooth, durable.

R2D2
02-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Out of curiousity what about Look did not impress you?
Wear and tear? Look and feel? Cleats?

oldpotatoe
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Because besides the name, no tangible reason to use them. They're inferior in every way.

I too am a Campy diehard, all my bikes have it, I have a campy winged logo tattoo, but all 5 of my bikes have SPD-SL. They just work better and longer then Look.

Let's see that tattoo!!!