PDA

View Full Version : More FSA carnage

rice rocket
02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWmGlKohaXc

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/429161_10151251120440724_654400723_22975679_205782 928_n.jpg

Nice. :no: They must pay to have people run their parts, no way anyone should ever run anything out of that factory after their illustrious history of failures.

54ny77
02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Wha? Who? Where?

Is that cavendish?

rice rocket
02-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Women's race, Tour of Qatar.

Giorgia Bronzini.

45K10
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Nice. :no: They must pay to have people run their parts, no way anyone should ever run anything out of that factory after their illustrious history of failures.[/QUOTE]

What failures are you referencing?
I have run FSA components for years and never had any problems. I raced with several bar/stem combinations along with several cranksets and never experienced any type of failure.
Not wanting to start a "Battle Royal" just curious.

pavel
02-06-2012, 07:11 PM
i fail to see from the video how that crash was caused by equipment failure.

pavel
02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
oh, dang! found it.

Her crank fell off, apparently, and she was nearly hit by the medic car. She fell really well, though - World Champion style avoiding everyone else!

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Gee, I wonder what THAT is? . . .

BBD

rice rocket
02-06-2012, 07:30 PM
What failures are you referencing?
I have run FSA components for years and never had any problems. I raced with several bar/stem combinations along with several cranksets and never experienced any type of failure.
Not wanting to start a "Battle Royal" just curious.

Honestly, I don't think there's been an FSA crank that hasn't had a history of failures...

The BB30 Gossamers were recalled for failing at the pedal threads. The SL-Ks failed in the exact same way, except they're carbon. The K Force cranks have crank separation issues, friend of mine broke some teeth after his failed. Don't forget about the FSA ISIS failures too.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/technews/10/Gossamer-BB30-Recall-Notice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/happilydepressed/3580110465/
http://solorao.blogspot.com/2006/09/product-review-fsa-slk-compact-mega-exo.html
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81388

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3556/3580110465_4746d5e277_z.jpg

They've had some bar/stem castings leave the factory looking like this:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7355/608/400/Vision_Closeup_Aerobar1.gif

I'm not a cat, I don't have enough lives to run FSA. :rolleyes:

fatallightning
02-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Just the world champion, no one will notice. :rolleyes:

Working in a shop, I've seen more FSA failures at the crank then everything else combined. Lots of pedal insert delams. This past season we had a rash of FSA Gossamer cranks that would constantly loosen and come off the spindle, even when cleaned, torqued, etc.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
That's disturbing. Please don't tell me the bars have widespread problems, too, as the Wing Pro Compact is my favorite.

old fat man
02-06-2012, 07:44 PM
yup, i had two fsa k-force crank arms fail during my self supported cross country tour. i happened to have a contact working there at the time (the only reason i bought their crap product in the first place) so she set me up at an lbs nearby for a replacement.

the replacement failed on the last day so i only had to limp 30 miles to the finish with a mostly separated pedal thread insert.

i will never buy a carbon and/or moving fsa part again. aluminum handlebars only.

54ny77
02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Any Gossamer triples and/or more specifically Gossamer tandem cranks?

I'll ditch mine if so. Last thing i need is that kind of headache.

Just the world champion, no one will notice. :rolleyes:

Working in a shop, I've seen more FSA failures at the crank then everything else combined. Lots of pedal insert delams. This past season we had a rash of FSA Gossamer cranks that would constantly loosen and come off the spindle, even when cleaned, torqued, etc.

firerescuefin
02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
That's disturbing. Please don't tell me the bars have widespread problems, too, as the Wing Pro Compact is my favorite.

The cranks had some issues, never heard or experienced any issues with their other gear.

45K10
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't think that is an FSA crank.
Giorgia Bronzini's team Diadara-Pasta Zara has Rotor cranks as a sponsor
http://www.diadorapastazara.com/indexeng.php?p=partnereng

Unless she is sponsored independently by FSA

firerescuefin
02-06-2012, 09:21 PM
That is the FSA K-Force Light SRM. The picture is a give away. Funny, I posted a similar thread asking about FSA Cranks before I purchased my SRM.

echappist
02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
uh-oh

i have a fsa headset. maybe this is a good excuse for me to switch to something else

veloduffer
02-07-2012, 07:08 AM
Crap! I just put a FSA carbon bar on my bike. :crap:

firerescuefin
02-07-2012, 07:17 AM
FWIW, they've been dealing with issues regarding their carbon cranks for quite some time, I thought it was in the past, but maybe not. I know they have gotten quite a bit better (don't see all the failures all over the net) We don't know the back story, and the bike could have been crashed, mishandled, overtorqued, etc, or the part could have been bad. I have ridden the crap out of their bars, seatposts, stems, and didn't and won't worry about them failing. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Bob Ross
02-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Working in a shop, I've seen more FSA failures at the crank then everything else combined. Lots of pedal insert delams.

I have a 2006 Cannondale Synapse that came with the OEM "SI" carbon crankset made by FSA. Had it replaced under warranty twice in the first two years of riding due to various forms of fail. But even with the third set (which mercifully has been trouble-free now four years on) my LBS warned me to watch out for those pedal insert delams. Added 1mm washers as some insurance/placebo.

When I first started experiencing trouble with the cranks I did some online research and came up with dozens of anecdotal stories of FSA cranks sucking the big wazoo. Sort of amazes me they've managed to stay in business...and stay such a visible OEM.

AngryScientist
02-07-2012, 08:20 AM
I have a 2006 Cannondale Synapse that came with the OEM "SI" carbon crankset made by FSA. Had it replaced under warranty twice in the first two years of riding due to various forms of fail. But even with the third set (which mercifully has been trouble-free now four years on) my LBS warned me to watch out for those pedal insert delams. Added 1mm washers as some insurance/placebo.

When I first started experiencing trouble with the cranks I did some online research and came up with dozens of anecdotal stories of FSA cranks sucking the big wazoo. Sort of amazes me they've managed to stay in business...and stay such a visible OEM.

you're a braver man than me bob, i would have promptly sold the first replacement crankset and put something on that doesnt fail if i were in your [cycling] shoes.

zap
02-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Any Gossamer triples and/or more specifically Gossamer tandem cranks?

I'll ditch mine if so. Last thing i need is that kind of headache.

I have not heard of any reported FSA Gos tandem set failures (other than problems related to installation) but you and I frequent the same web places.

I think I posted on my CoMo thread that the new Shimano Ultegra set is of interest but I should add PW/DaVinci (white industry) is also on the "hot" list.

OT, I'm still not sold on external bearing cranksets.

tiretrax
02-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I've been running Gossamers for several years without issue on the cranks. The cups, however, split easily. The FSA rep at NAHBS gave me some replacement cups. The went out rather quickly, so I need to replace them again after just a few months.

EricEstlund
02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
I've personally and professionally had good experiences with FSA. We have to remember that FSA is a huge OE supplier- even if we see a couple of dozen failures, it's hard to know what that represents as far as actual percentages.

gone
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
I agree with Eric that given the volumes FSA probably ships it's hard to generalize as to whether they're good or bad.

Having said that, I'm 0 for 2 on FSA cranks. One failed at the BB and one at the pedal spindle. As that saying goes "you can fool me once but you can't fool me twice", well in this case they did fool me twice but you sure as heck can't fool me three times! No more FSA for me.

oldpotatoe
02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I've personally and professionally had good experiences with FSA. We have to remember that FSA is a huge OE supplier- even if we see a couple of dozen failures, it's hard to know what that represents as far as actual percentages.

BUT if the only one had been on a video of the world champion, crashing cuz a FSA crank either broke or came off...

'There once was a French bridge builder, he built many fine bridges but he ____ed one ---k, He was known as the French ____k_____r.

trying to stay PG here.

EricEstlund
02-07-2012, 09:59 AM
I agree it's a bad PR situation, but it doesn't add any insight into the product failure rate.

I've seen plenty or broken cranks from most manufacturers. I still buy cranks.

R2D2
02-07-2012, 10:09 AM
BUT if the only one had been on a video of the world champion, crashing cuz a FSA crank either broke or came off...

'There once was a French bridge builder, he built many fine bridges but he ____ed one ---k, He was known as the French ____k_____r.

trying to stay PG here.
I think is name was Piere. One of my favorite jokes.

Vinci
02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
I never had any trouble with the couple of FSA cranks I've run over the years, but I'm probably not heavy/strong enough to give them cause to fail.

I did see a friend of mine snap an alloy gossamer crank arm in half (NDS, mid-arm) on a commute, though. :eek:

bismo37
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Yeah, me too! Most of my bikes have FSA wing pro compacts too.

firerescuefin
02-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I agree with Eric that given the volumes FSA probably ships it's hard to generalize as to whether they're good or bad.

Having said that, I'm 0 for 2 on FSA cranks. One failed at the BB and one at the pedal spindle. As that saying goes "you can fool me once but you can't fool me twice", well in this case they did fool me twice but you sure as heck can't fool me three times! No more FSA for me.

I am also 0 for 2. Both started slipping where the aluminum cup is bonded into the crank connection interface. I sold the 3rd they sent me new on Ebay. I asked Charles (Pez) about them (QA issue with cranks), and he said it was not a QA issue but a design problem they had addressed. That being said, I have used their bars, stems, and seatposts extensively without issue.

Bob Ross
02-07-2012, 10:51 AM
you're a braver man than me bob, i would have promptly sold the first replacement crankset and put something on that doesnt fail if i were in your [cycling] shoes.

To be honest, I was hoping for a third fail so I could coerce my LBS into swapping it out for a Hollowgram SI at no charge!

sohasm67
07-17-2013, 08:38 PM
+1 for HG cranks