PDA

View Full Version : Rust inside tubes

slowgoing
02-06-2012, 03:37 PM
How do I check for rust inside the tubes? There is some surface rust inside the bottom bracket but I'd like to see how bad any rust is inside the chainstays.

thwart
02-06-2012, 03:46 PM
There have been several threads over the years about rust in tubes...

I'm assuming you cannot see inside by looking into the bottom bracket. You could use one of those fiberoptic scopes...

But...

Bottom brackets tend to get more rust than chainstays since that's the lowest point---where water pools with wet ride moisture coming down the seat tube from the seat post opening.

If you're concerned, a little FrameSaver squirted in each may be a good idea.

David Kirk
02-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Dump Framesaver in there and ride.

dave

old_fat_and_slow
02-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Have to get a borescope to look down into the tubes. I think you can get relatively "inexpensive" ones at Sears. Maybe you can even rent one, if you have a large tool rental house nearby.

Question then becomes, okay I think there's some rust, what am I going to do now?

slowgoing
02-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys. I'd still like to see inside, as this may be a frame I want to sell, so I might try Sears to see the suggested borescope.

I may do some research to see if there is any cheap USB solution that includes a camera and light at the end of a flexible cable. I know they make USB cameras at the end of a flexible cable and cheap USB lights at the end of a cable (for reading) but I don't know about the combo.

charliedid
02-06-2012, 06:14 PM
How do I check for rust inside the tubes? There is some surface rust inside the bottom bracket but I'd like to see how bad any rust is inside the chainstays.

Just curious....what frame?

LouDeeter
02-06-2012, 07:20 PM
You can use a small mirror and flashlight to get a decent look inside the chainstays. Just shine the light into the mirror and take a peek. You can also take a flexible rod or long Q-tip, wrap the rod with a little cloth and stick it into the opening and see whether you get red powder or red flakes of rust. Powder is in most older steel frames. Flakes will mean you have a little more rust, but doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem.

slowgoing
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Just curious....what frame?

Serotta Atlanta that I bought as a backup a few years ago.

slowgoing
02-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I think that was the answer I was looking for. Makes me wonder why I didn't think of it. Maybe if I was a dentist or dental hygenist. Thanks, Lou.

Now where to I buy a small mirror?

You can use a small mirror and flashlight to get a decent look inside the chainstays. Just shine the light into the mirror and take a peek. You can also take a flexible rod or long Q-tip, wrap the rod with a little cloth and stick it into the opening and see whether you get red powder or red flakes of rust. Powder is in most older steel frames. Flakes will mean you have a little more rust, but doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem.

Steve in SLO
02-06-2012, 07:48 PM
You can buy what you need at most any auto parts store (ask them), Sears, tool store or at a pharmacy such as Rite-Aid or CVS that has dental instruments (most do)

Jaq
02-06-2012, 11:00 PM
I've often wondered how easy it would be to run a shotgun bore brush down the tubes. The chain stays would be tough, but I suppose a flexible cable drive chucked to a drill might work.

LouDeeter
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
If you have a flexible cleaning rod for your shotgun cleaning kit, you should be able to run the brushes and patches down the chainstays with no problem. You could even use the various solvents and lubes as well. Bottle brushes are often flexible as well.

doode
02-07-2012, 08:42 AM
if you shake it and it doesnt rattle than the rust cant be all that bad!

EricEstlund
02-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Odds are good that if you have a steel bike that gets ridden outside there is a degree of rust in the tubes. A little surface oxide on the inside is not something to worry about.

To repeat Dave- spray a bunch of tubing treatment in there and call it good.

AgilisMerlin
02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
drop fork, pull bottom bracket, spray where applicable. ride. wait a decade and repeat :D no worries

those shotgun sprays smell purdy !!!!