PDA

View Full Version : stainless xcr with Campy 11, bb30 or standard bb

soulspinner
02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Gonna build an xcr frame this year and wonder if just a standard bb would be fine or is the bb30 better at resisting the elements? Im old and slow these days so stiffness isnt a priority.

Joachim
02-06-2012, 03:30 PM
My XCr is build with a standard english stainless BB shell and it's more than fine. The frame is plenty stiff in the BB area, even if that is not a priority. Unless you have a BB30 crank or want to use adapters, I would just go normal BB. Are you sure its BB30 or is it PF30?

rphetteplace
02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
trust your builder.

eddief
02-06-2012, 03:37 PM
or perceived advantage to BB30, then still choose the previously accepted standard. Hollowtech and external screw in bearings for me.

soulspinner
02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
My XCr is build with a standard english stainless BB shell and it's more than fine. The frame is plenty stiff in the BB area, even if that is not a priority. Unless you have a BB30 crank or want to use adapters, I would just go normal BB. Are you sure its BB30 or is it PF30?

Its a bb30, not a pressfit, for reasons he prefers.

fatallightning
02-06-2012, 04:00 PM
If you're using a Campy crank, may as well stick to normal BB. Less chance of creaking from the press in cups.

45K10
02-06-2012, 04:17 PM
The bb30 bearings I have had in the past did not hold up very well to the elements. I have however, heard that utilizing ceramic bb30 bearings is a good option at keeping the elements at bay. I would suggest a chris king BB. I love mine, smooth as butter and great at keeping the grit out.

oldpotatoe
02-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Gonna build an xcr frame this year and wonder if just a standard bb would be fine or is the bb30 better at resisting the elements? Im old and slow these days so stiffness isnt a priority.

Get a standard BB, BB30, PFBB30(probably what the Xcr would be) is horrible in terms of sealing, creaking, etc. Unless it's a Campagnolo, then it's kinda a wash, since they have cups. I think standard looks better.

See that it's BB30(or threaded) and not PFBB30..maybe stainless distorts less than steel, titanium while welding. Why a lot of metal bikes are PFBB30, not BB30.

oldpotatoe
02-06-2012, 05:09 PM
The bb30 bearings I have had in the past did not hold up very well to the elements. I have however, heard that utilizing ceramic bb30 bearings is a good option at keeping the elements at bay. I would suggest a chris king BB. I love mine, smooth as butter and great at keeping the grit out.

Don think CK are ceramic, but good choice. Unless ceramic use hardened steel ups and cones, they actually have less durability than stainless steel balls.

soulspinner
02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Regular Campy it is. Thanks all :beer:

eddief
02-06-2012, 06:22 PM
i know i am and there are a lot of sour old farts on the forum...and still i do not understand the reasoning behind the new bb "standards." granted, i am no longer particulary fond of tapered, or that crappy one from Shimano before Hollowtech, but all the new ones seem like a pain in the ass and overly complicated. on the other hand, for my low weight Roubaix, a gram here and 20 grams there...that i understand :).

fatallightning
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
i know i am and there are a lot of sour old farts on the forum...and still i do not understand the reasoning behind the new bb "standards." granted, i am no longer particulary fond of tapered, or that crappy one from Shimano before Hollowtech, but all the new ones seem like a pain in the ass and overly complicated. on the other hand, for my low weight Roubaix, a gram here and 20 grams there...that i understand :).
Plainly, for fatter axles, while being able to retain reasonable bearing size.

Jack Brunk
02-06-2012, 10:04 PM
I won't have a bike that doesn't have a PF30 BB. Both road or mountain. Hollowgram cranks rule! Except my Ti Hampsten which I didn't have a choice and I wanted a Hampsten real bad.

oldpotatoe
02-07-2012, 07:59 AM
I won't have a bike that doesn't have a PF30 BB. Both road or mountain. Hollowgram cranks rule! Except my Ti Hampsten which I didn't have a choice and I wanted a Hampsten real bad.

I agree the shimano cranks are a thing of beauty but they aren't BB30 or PFBB30, as I'm sure you know. Adapters from Wheels manufacturing make it an easy install, better bearings than sram also(PFBB30).

Uncle Jam's Army
02-07-2012, 08:05 AM
I agree the shimano cranks are a thing of beauty but they aren't BB30 or PFBB30, as I'm sure you know. Adapters from Wheels manufacturing make it an easy install, better bearings than sram also(PFBB30).

Pete, I think he means the Cannondale Hollowgram crank. Oh, and I can't get the creak to come out of my PF30 BB when I get out of the saddle. Going on my 4th BB in just over a year. My LBS and I are convinced its the plastic cups that generate the creak. Never again will I do PF30.

oldpotatoe
02-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Pete, I think he means the Cannondale Hollowgram crank.

Oppps..got it. Well, shimano cranks are still really pretty.

cfox
02-07-2012, 09:18 AM
It seems you've made up your mind, but I'll jump in and concur that a threaded BB is the way to go. I think PF30 is the lesser of two evils vs. BB30, but neither are remotely as reliable as a good 'ol threaded BB. I have one bike with a PF30 BB and I'll never buy another. VERY careful frame prep can make a PF30 work OK, but I'm now convinced long term it will be a creak-fest. BB30 creak stories are legion. I have a brave friend who spec'd a BB30 on his custom Ti frame because he wanted to use a hollogram crank. He hasn't had any issues except it seems to eat the aluminum spindles.

eddief
02-07-2012, 09:32 AM
snapping in a circlip, pressing in the bearing against that, a then a dust cover washer, and then the crankset against that? tongue in cheek of course :).

as seen at park tool:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bb30-bearing-system-installation-and-removal

it is actually working quite well on my Roubaix with Shimano crank and Wheels Manufac adapters. but would not be my first choice.